Poll

Do you think PI should be voice acted?

Yes, it should.
No, it shouldn't.
Snuffleupagus  (I don't know/I don't care)

Author Topic: Voice Acted PI - What do you think?  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Voice Acted PI - What do you think?
What the title says. Do you think PI should be voice acted? Since voice acting requires efforts and time, I thought it was the case to see if fans(and a given number of voice actors) would be interested.  :)

This is not a VA topic so don't move it - by the time of writing it's unclear if PI's VA will ever start.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Voice Acted PI - What do you think?
Yes, that would be great. But I'd rather see Blue Planet voice-acted first!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Please post your opinion here, don't vote-and-run...someone voted "No, it shouldn't" and I'd like to know why...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
I personally would like to see it get voiceacted, but you should seriously consider red-flagging the author about it first. It's his baby, after all, not yours, and as an FSCRP guy, you know how discourteous it is to change too much without the creator's approval. Talking to him might yield better results out of the voiceacting if it does end up happening, so you don't really have anything to lose.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Voice acting and restoring are two separate things. They combined only once, in Warzone, although the voice acted version is still in the limbo. No doubt CP5670 will be strongly encouraged to supervise the work, but there's nothing wrong in VAing a campaign.

Derelict was voice acted without the original creators knowing, for example.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

BP voice acting is closing in on completion (at least in the recording phase.)

I'd be happy to recommend our best actors for the PI effort.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam

That's great news, replay 8 or 9 is gonna be good!  :yes:

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

Hey, those are good news! :)

I'm waiting for you... ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Hey, those are good news! :)

I'm waiting for you... ;)

Let me speak to Rian. She's honestly a lot better organized than me.

Offline Nuclear1

The original Derelict voiceactors weren't really notified because, frankly, nobody noes where they are.

CP, one the other hand, is still an active member here.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm kind of getting a bit wary of the whole "everything must be voiced!" trend that seems to be popping up around here recently, and this is coming from someone who's (technically) the moderator of the voice acting subforum.  I've never had any trouble getting immersed in a good campaign that wasn't voiced, and I feel like jumping all over each and every new campaign coming down the pike only helps to promote the "I'll only play voiced campaigns" viewpoint that's disturbingly manifested itself at certain points in the past.  While good voicework can certainly benefit a campaign to a certain extent, the opposite can also be true of mediocre or downright bad work, and one has to weigh any potential gains against the large amount of man-hours and organizational headaches that naturally come with such projects.  I certainly think that high-profile projects like Silent Threat: Reborn and Diaspora practically require voice work, based on what they're specifically trying to achieve, but I don't see how that necessarily carries over to your garden-variety campaign release.

All of that being said, I voted for the last option.  Do what you will, since my original enjoyment (and/or frustration) of the campaign won't be affected either way by whether or not someone starts working on voicing it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Procyon Insurgency and Blue Planet have been the two really big-ticket, well-received campaigns of the last while, it seems.

Offline eliex

Clearly - most members recommend playing AoA to new people to FS first after FSPort and FS2.  :nod:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, and Derelict and Transcend.

I'd save PI.

I actually wish all campaigns included voice acting.  Granted I do recognize that it takes an extreme amount of time and effort to do.  However it is always easier IHMO to listen to dialogue than it is to read it when your dodging missiles and gunfire.

Offline eliex

I'd save PI.

Yes - PI is in my opinion, the hardest user-made campaign out there to complete successfully without cheating. Train before the trial of fire . . .  ;)

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I'm kind of getting a bit wary of the whole "everything must be voiced!" trend that seems to be popping up around here recently, and this is coming from someone who's (technically) the moderator of the voice acting subforum.  I've never had any trouble getting immersed in a good campaign that wasn't voiced, and I feel like jumping all over each and every new campaign coming down the pike only helps to promote the "I'll only play voiced campaigns" viewpoint that's disturbingly manifested itself at certain points in the past.  While good voicework can certainly benefit a campaign to a certain extent, the opposite can also be true of mediocre or downright bad work, and one has to weigh any potential gains against the large amount of man-hours and organizational headaches that naturally come with such projects.  I certainly think that high-profile projects like Silent Threat: Reborn and Diaspora practically require voice work, based on what they're specifically trying to achieve, but I don't see how that necessarily carries over to your garden-variety campaign release.

All of that being said, I voted for the last option.  Do what you will, since my original enjoyment (and/or frustration) of the campaign won't be affected either way by whether or not someone starts working on voicing it.

But as voice synth is no longer working in 3.6.10, (granted Microsoft Sam/Mary/Whoever aren't great). A voice-acted campaign is much more appreciated.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
If you're going to voice act a campaign it should be done before the release not after.  Backfitting voice acting can change the whole pace and feel of the campaign as well as tying up resources that could be used on an in-progress campaign.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If you're going to voice act a campaign it should be done before the release not after.  Backfitting voice acting can change the whole pace and feel of the campaign as well as tying up resources that could be used on an in-progress campaign.

Really? What resources?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
voice actors, a coordinator as well as someone to refred the missions to include the voice files.  Also when you start modifying the original campaign you add the possibility of introducing errors that would need to be fixed.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.