Author Topic: Teacher needed-really  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Teacher needed-really
Well...
I'm not stupid, but I don't speak English very well...
We've got 3 options:
1. I don't understand that tutorials.
2. They really don't contain information important for me.
3. I can't find tutorials;P

I need to know few things. Well, I've got raw model[ANY model]. No hierarchy, only naked model. In .cob. I've got only TS 7.6 and PCS. Can anyone explain me how to convert model to pof and make it work?
I don't want to know only "What". I want to know "How". Please, guide me step by step. I want to know how to make LOD, turrets, thrusters etc. Everything that model can include. I saw that Bobboau's tutorial, but it didn't help me. Now I know how this hierarchy should look like, but thats all. I don't even know WHAT is this hierarchy;P Can anyone be my master? Or, maybe there is one, good tutorial?
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Teacher needed-really
Ugh, Truespace? Count me out. :blah:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Go with Blender, it's a lot more useful than Truespace and Vasudal Admiral should be able to help you out.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What kind of a model you have? Fighter or capital ship?

ERm...you got to get the Hierarchy right...Get the TrueView plug-in for Truespace, it's useful for that.

Basicely you need to position your mesh/model in the center and glue it to a light and name the new object something like Detail0 or LO0.

Turrets and destroyable subsystems as well as LOD are done in your 3D program and glued to the model.
Everything else (regular subystems, glows, paths, gun points, thrusters) are added in PCS2. It's easy.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
some of my best ships were modeled in truespace. so i can tell you its possible. its also possible to make rock solid stable models by making them in truespace. think is you cant use booleans, ever. of course even in max i dont use them. truespace 7 has everything you need to make a good, stable model, and you dont have to deal with conversion hell.

on the other hand truespace is piss poor inadequate for the kind of modeling freespace requires. i have no idea why the **** they decided to use the ****ing cob/scn format. i do not know why the **** they continued using the format. further more i dont know why kaz keeps axing every format proposed for support in pcs2. is that not why pcs2 was created, to support more formats. madness i say!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Everything I did I did in Truespace. And I use Booleans all the time.

Really, check your setting before you use Boolean functions people....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
Light? What light? Why light? OK, I think... well... where can I "paint" it? You know, I can paste textures in PCS, but where can I... um... set that areas, where textures will arrive?:P[I know, my English is terrible]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Everything I did I did in Truespace. And I use Booleans all the time.

Really, check your setting before you use Boolean functions people....

i recently found some bad geometry in a couple of my old models while converting everything to max. the models worked ingame fine and never gave me a problem, but there were a ton of micropolies around some of my booleans. thats why i like max, because it has attach. you want to stick two primitives together, clear away anything that wont be visible and use attach. thats the way to do it. then you just manually model the seam. the advice you shouldnt use booleans is for beginners. until you have a firm understanding of whats happening, you shouldnt use them.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
OK, we've got different situation now. I've got ANY program. Freeware of course;P How I can get rid of UV mapping? I think I can take care of Hierarchy etc., but UV mapping is strange. Is there any good tutorial?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
OK, we've got different situation now. I've got ANY program. Freeware of course;P How I can get rid of UV mapping? I think I can take care of Hierarchy etc., but UV mapping is strange. Is there any good tutorial?

What is this ANY program you speak of...? :nervous:

Urgh... technically, you can make the model use texture tiling instead of UV map to project the texture on it, but it's... not advisable, I would say. :nervous: Using UVmap for texturing is much better for performance and quality of the model than using tiles...

Blender is probably the best, most feature-rich free/Open Source modeling program out there. Wings3D is also out there, and it supposedly has a rather good UV mapping system, but this is just hearsay to me because I unfortunately do not have much experience at all regarding making models or putting them into FreeSpace Open... the most complex thing I'm responsible of was a planet with rings (like Saturn). Or perhaps a certain skybox. It matters not.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
Wings 3d. Can I make EVERYTHING there? Not only UV mapping, but hierarchy etc. MAYBE I'll manage to teach myself UV mapping[yeah, my terrible English], but I have to know few things. If I do everything in Wings 3d, TS will see it, yeap?

Offline Topgun

what language do you normally speak?

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
POLISH, of course;P And, what about UV mapping? What is it for? How to make it? Tutorial? GOOD tutorial?;P

Offline Topgun

uv mapping is to tell the model what parst of the texture go where on the model. it's different for every program.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
And if I want to use wings 3d...
Geez, I've got model with 4600 polygons. I have to... ergh... give them all right shape?