Author Topic: 2009-01-24 - More Screenshots  (Read 9079 times)

Offline newman

2009-01-24 - More Screenshots
January 24th 2009

Here's another update for you folks, this time not as huge as the last, but we thought you might appreciate a few new screenshots. This time we'll show more of the raptor cockpit, done by yours truly, a wip shot of a viper mkII cockpit being worked on now by Lt.Cannonfodder, and a shot of two basestars pummeling the crap out of the Pegasus, because you can never have enough of those :)

Since this time the task of updating the dev blog fell to me, I figured I'll talk about what I know here - in this case a bit of info about the raptor cockpit. One of the first things you notice about doing cockpits is that it's completely different then doing any sort of ship. When doing game models, compromise is always the name of the game; make things less detailed so they can be run in real time by the computer, while attempting to make them seem more detailed then they actually are. However, as I soon found out, the cockpits don't tolerate compromises well - any attempt to skimp on details becomes an immediate eyesore.

The main difference to doing ships is, you see the cockpit from a very close distance all the time, meaning any attempt to save on polygons or texture counts/sizes will probably look horrible - in fact, what you're seeing here is the third iteration of the cockpit, with more details modeled, and the texture count increased to make things look more detailed. Some of you might still notice some "rough edges" on the cockpit in these shots as well, since there are still things I mean to improve upon before our first release.

For the moment, the polycount of the cockpit is 8557 triangles, and will be increased a bit before the release due to some details still missing. The textures will have some detail added too - for the moment it's using two 2048x2048 textures covering everything but the forward screens; the screens themselves are 1024x1024 textures, one for Dradis and the other for the rest of the forward screens.

You might have noticed in the videos we released that some of the screens are animated; for the moment it's a simple 4 frame animation that might be improved upon before the release. The center screen will house a working Dradis, we've still got some issues to fix before it will work correctly but we're getting closer - we had to leave something for the next trailer.. :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:21:04 pm by karajorma »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Re: 09-01-24 - More Screenshots
Mate.. broken links; I'm afraid
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Fixed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Thank you ! ;)
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
I AM SO HAPPY  :P :P

:o AHH H MY FACE IS BURNING UP!!! too bright!!! :mad2:

A pity you can't actually be the ECO. I want to! I love support roles. And that raptor cockpit looks very good. But doesn't the ECO thing also have an Dradis?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
All the screens seen in the show appear to be multi mode. What they display changes fairly often. So just imagine that the ECO isn't using DRADIS in that one. :D

Is the DRADIS functional, as in, it replaces the standard HUD radar?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Although pretty much outside the scope of FreeSpace and its associated engine, it would be quite neat to have an interactive 3D cockpit where simple controls could be operated via a point and click interface, much as in modern flight sims (X-Plane, for example). Regardless of wheter on not controls can actually be manipulated on screen, certainly any changes to ship operation will result in some visual change in the instrument operation. This will be more than enough in my opinion.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nuke's been working on something like that using scripting.

Offline Richard

Really nice good work :yes:

Amazing awesome
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:34:26 pm by Richard »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Speaking of Nuke's work, has some method of preventing the canopy from disappearing when looking about been devised? I recall watching a few of his videos on YouTube where this would happen when looking to find a target.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Huh?

I don't recall ever seeing that problem.

May i?
Nuke doesn't use the same method to show the cockpit ingame.
Nuke use a show-ship flag while i guess disapora use an external cockpit pof file.
Using an external pof file doesn't make the problem we could see on nuke's video.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Does the separate pof get illuminated awesomely if there's light-sources nearby (er go if there's a big explosion or a glowy shot passing right in front of the hull, does the lighting apply to the cockpit model?)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Now that you mention it, that's true. He (Nuke) DOES use the method as described by Reprobator. This is why the canopy was so poorly visualized as seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEu60IjiGfI&feature=channel

-Thaeris

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke