Author Topic: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 2" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 35718 times)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Re: Ep. 421 "Daybreak: Part 2" Discussion (SPOILERS)
good ending except for the destruction of the fleet, they should of dismantled it for good and used it for settlements, that way they could keep in contact easier, i get RDM wanting to fit them into out past etc, but i mean common, sieriously ??

Yes, I can see people wanting to break away from their old life, the ships they were in forever.

Nothing on those ships was really going to last anyways. The only thing they were good for were shelter and I'm sure everyone was sick of living in ships.

22 part 2 doesn't make any sense though.  :wtf: Well, whatever, doesn't matter.

Well, the way these things are numbered, this episode was separate from last week's. It is however Part 2 of a specific storyline. 

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

Quick and dirty  :nervous:

Quick and dirty  :nervous:

I approve this message. And the answer is, Yes, he does.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If he hadn't done that...d'you think Cavil would've just taken the resurrection data and blown Galactica apart? Hera and all?

I get the sense he might have.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
If they were smart they would have kept him on the ship and then let him go later.

Offline Mr. R

I really hate to bring this up but this is the one thing that makes me wonder...

Isn't there more cylons?  Like one more?  I'm thinking of the woman in the goo-tub who controls the base-ships.  If she's not a cylon, what is she?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Absolutely frakking amazing. Ron Moore did not disappoint (nice cameo, btw). As the episode unfolded, I found myself going "Oh, I get that now! And that! It all makes sense!" The battle was epic, and the ending was very satisfying. I think they went a little over the top at the very end, with Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" and the montage of robots. But I like that they tied the series back to the overall message, that all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. I guess the question is, will we as humanity break the cycle this time?

The very end with the dialog and the montage was a bit heavy-handed for my tastes. The same purpose could have been served by simply having the Cylon theme play and Baltar/Six in the center of the crowd with it moving around them as if they're not there and on one of the bilboards a Centurion-esque product is advertised before a final taiko drum and fade to black.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Absolutely frakking amazing. Ron Moore did not disappoint (nice cameo, btw). As the episode unfolded, I found myself going "Oh, I get that now! And that! It all makes sense!" The battle was epic, and the ending was very satisfying. I think they went a little over the top at the very end, with Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" and the montage of robots. But I like that they tied the series back to the overall message, that all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. I guess the question is, will we as humanity break the cycle this time?

The very end with the dialog and the montage was a bit heavy-handed for my tastes. The same purpose could have been served by simply having the Cylon theme play and Baltar/Six in the center of the crowd with it moving around them as if they're not there and on one of the bilboards a Centurion-esque product is advertised before a final taiko drum and fade to black.

I think that would have been worse.

Anything Cylon in modern day would have been picked apart forever.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Yea, that would have been much worse, and honestly, would have connotated a completely different ending than the one we got. What you're suggesting basically is saying "Yea, all that was for nothing because look! The Cylons are coming back!' When in reality the point of the end of the show was that they had broken the cycle.

Offline Mr. R

How did the end of the show, show that the cycle was broken?  I must have missed something.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It didn't show that the cycle was broken. Simply that it might have been broken. Humanity has to learn to do exactly what Ellen said the final five wanted to teach humanity to do. We have to make sure we don't enslave AIs and instead try to live with them peacefully. That's how the cycle will be broken.

I did like how they let the centurions go though. Gives them another spin off series if they want. CENTURIONS IN SPAAAAACCCCCEEEE!!! :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
How did the end of the show, show that the cycle was broken?  I must have missed something.

It didn't show the cycle was broken, but it didn't really say it had started over.

I think a bit of Cylon in the Times Square bit would be like saying "here we go again!" which is exactly the opposite of what they wanted

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Exactly. They wanted to end the series on the hope that the same mistake might not be made. Having a recognisable Cylon would be the exact opposite message.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'm kinda excited for next fall too, I guess we should have guessed with the whole are you human or are you cylon ad campaign, but it might be kinda cool to see BSG from the cylon point of view.  Plus maybe a couple cylon mission ideas for Diaspora?  ;7  Ok and did anyone else think Husker was gonna crash the Raptor or something after Roslin died, that was just a really weird good bye with his son...

Offline newman

Now that is how you end the best show on TV! And the ending.. the decision to do away with the galactica, fleet, battles, all that stuff halfway through was incredibly brave. And it worked so well, too.. I laughed my ass off when I saw RDM holding that magazine in one of the final scenes :D
I find it funny that the whole Cavil's Cylon civilization dies because chief couldn't wait 5 mins for his revenge.. but I understand why he did it. As Tigh said.. I'd have done the same frakkin' thing. Both Tori and Cavil did have it coming. 'Neways... now that I've seen it whole, I can honestly say that this is the best Sci Fi series I have ever seen.

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline CKid

I didn't know a raptor could hold so many nukes.  :D
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Two things I need explained:

- 'Earth', wasn't it eradicated? Wherever they were in this episode, it was not the Earth of the 13th tribe
- You know he doesn't like being called that ?????????????
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Two things I need explained:

- 'Earth', wasn't it eradicated? Wherever they were in this episode, it was not the Earth of the 13th tribe
- You know he doesn't like being called that ?????????????

- The planet that the settled on wasn't the earth that the 13th colony settled on. Out of pure frustration they called this planet Earth, just because.
 - i have no idea.

I wonder if they cylon centurions were waiting off in space somewhere, waiting for us to join them once again.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Did the ability to see heads Baltar and Six get passed on?

It looked like they were really there, not as angels. Over 150,000 years it's pretty likely that everyone has some of Baltar and/or Six's DNA.

We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE