Author Topic: Unable to finish mission  (Read 4049 times)

Unable to finish mission
Well, i was enjoying BP up until this mission.

it's the first mission with the Vishuans, where your supposed to take out the Corvete marked as Ablam or something, as well as the cain and Lilith. I can always kill the cain and lilith, but the Corvete doesn't die. 2 Arbiter class ships are supposed to show up and help me kill it, but all they do is sit there. And no matter how much fire power my fighters pound it with, the corvete will no go below 1 health.

What am i doing wrong?
 :confused:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Unable to finish mission
:welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB!!! :D

You can't take a corvette down with "weak" weapons - the FS engine makes lasers and missiles uncapable of taking down corvettes, destroyers and installations. They damage those assets, but they can't destoy them(hence the 1% hull integrity).

Only "strong" weapons like beam cannons and torpedoes can take down such ships. I think you should, if possible, order the Arbiters to attack the corvette. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ran into the same problem last night.

*Points to Mobius Post*

What he said

Offline Darius

This might fix the problem. Place this mission in your blueplanet/data/missions directory, and test it out. If the Arbiters don't take down the Moloch, the ship should destroy itself when your fighter firepower takes it down below a certain percentage, or if you take out a crucial subsystem.

The Arbiters can't be commanded by the player in this mission.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

I actually removed every gun, took out every subsystem, and had the thing just sitting in space, and it STILL wouldn't die. I don't know whats going on with it. The arbiters just sit there, not firing.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Sure, but you didn't follow Darius' hint. He's attached a mission to his post, you need to DL it and place it where Darius told you to (blueplanet/data/missions). :nod:

I know for sure that you don't have the mission because at the time of writing I see this:

"bp-15.fs2 (65.13kKB - downloaded 0 times)

...it clearly means that you don't have the fixed version yet. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

This might fix the problem. Place this mission in your blueplanet/data/missions directory, and test it out. If the Arbiters don't take down the Moloch, the ship should destroy itself when your fighter firepower takes it down below a certain percentage, or if you take out a crucial subsystem.

The Arbiters can't be commanded by the player in this mission.

I just noticed something, I don't have a Missions directy in ym Blue planet Data file. i've got cache and I've got Multi, but not missions.  Should I create it?

Sorry for all the noob questions, Im stilll new to this whole open source thing

Offline Darius

Yep, just create a "missions" folder in your data folder and plonk the mission in there.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Should I create it?

Sure. :)

Sorry for all the noob questions, Im stilll new to this whole open source thing

Don't worry about that, there always are many community members available to help. Post whenever you have a question. :)

You may wish to check the FreeSpace Wiki out - there are many tutorials and articles there. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Yep, just create a "missions" folder in your data folder and plonk the mission in there.

Awesome. Thanks for your help. I so wanna finish this campaign ::Goes off to try it::

Umm, ok, now im getting this error .

Error: bp-15.fs2(line 404:
Error: Required token = [#Wings] or [$Name:], found [+Use Table Score:] .

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
You're using an old build of FS Open. Get a new one here. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Ok, this is wierd.

After I put the file you gave me into a Missions folder in data in the blue planet directory, my system crashs out with the following error code
Error: bp-15.fs2(line 291:
Error: Required token = [#Wings] or [$Name:], found [+Use Table Score:] .

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:

However, if I delete the Missions directory, the game loads normally like it did before.
Did I do something wrong with teh file?  :confused:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started

Did you get a recent build from there?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Err... You're supposed to put the .exe in your main FS2 folder (C:\Games\FreeSpace2\ for example) and then run it.

Great, now I have to fiqure out how to install it. The Faq on the forum just made me more confused. I can see the most recent files on the site, but don't understand how to install them, and given what I've read, im not sure if installing prototype builds is a good idea.

Any advice?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
In order to install new FSO builds place them in your root FS2 directory(where the old ones were), run the Launcher, click on "Browse", choose the new build and then click on "Apply" to save the change.

Please note that there are two FSO builds in each package - one is marked with "r" and the other is marked with "d". In the Launcher, choose the one marked with "r"(the other is for debugging purposes). :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

All right, that seemed to have done it, using the FSO version 10 seems to have taken care of the issue, though now im getting spanked hard by the shivans, least the Arbiters are actually fighting back.

Thanks for all the help guys. If this is the kinda people who inhabit this forum, then I can see why you guys have been able to do such great work on the campaigns.

One more questions for Darius. Are there any other mission files I''ll need or just that one ?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
All right, that seemed to have done it, using the FSO version 10 seems to have taken care of the issue, though now im getting spanked hard by the shivans, least the Arbiters are actually fighting back.

Thanks for all the help guys. If this is the kinda people who inhabit this forum, then I can see why you guys have been able to do such great work on the campaigns.

One more questions for Darius. Are there any other mission files I''ll need or just that one ?

I finished the 3.6.10 version of BP yesterday and encountered no problems, so I assume you should be fine. I'm using the most recent nightly build by the way.

Ok, Finally fnished the campaign. Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks goes out to Darius, and all those who helped with my issues.

Now that I've seen the ending, im pumped up for part 2 and can't wait for it. Wish I could help with it, but i've got no Fred skills. Just looking at it confuses the hell outta me.

Darius, your a genius. Cant wait for part 2.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ok, Finally fnished the campaign. Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks goes out to Darius, and all those who helped with my issues.

Now that I've seen the ending, im pumped up for part 2 and can't wait for it. Wish I could help with it, but i've got no Fred skills. Just looking at it confuses the hell outta me.

Darius, your a genius. Cant wait for part 2.

FRED is an acquired taste. Take small sips in moderation and watch a lot of other people drink (look at some of Darius's missions, at first they too confused the hell out of me but looking at the way he did things as opposed to the way I did things helped me understand more). If you ever play a cool mission, my advice is to extract it and look at it, it'll teach you some cool things about FRED and open you up to the different ways things can be done.

Yes, Darius is a f*cking genius, all of us here are looking forward to it :D