Author Topic: the political landscape of EVE online  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Roanoke

Re: the political landscape of EVE online
Actually, no they aren't, when it gets to the point where you are limited to a certain area of space that spans a pretty small number of systems, and leaving those systems and flying into someone elses space will get you killed on sight, not because you are an enemy, but simply because you are not an ally, you start to wonder why you are paying CCP to maintain thousands of systems when you're limited to about 4 outside of Secure areas.

That sort of thing doesn't really appeal to me, unless you are a PvP player, you can expect to spend most of your life in the kiddie-pool, and I'm not a PvP-er, never enjoyed it.

That puts the "role-playing" bit into "role playing game", I guess. What better way to simulate a lawless world of paranoia and high-powered weaponry than to have trespassers shot on sight? I suppose you could always pay off the corporations if you really want to explore. But if you consider making other players richer just to play the game a waste of time...

...well, life is like that, I guess.

Indeed, but the makers of it have got the whole 'social experiment' jammed so far up their rectum that they've forgotten it's supposed to be a game, and ergo, fun to play, unfortunately, at least for me, that was an aspect of the game that was rapidly dying.

"Second-Life in Space" ?  :doubt:

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
More like half-life.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No, its just ****ing stupid. Real space combat is something like Forever War and is nothing that is even close to playable or fun. The fact that EVE tries to make its space combat seem realistic by making it mind numbingly boring is both incredibly dumb and something that shifts the focus from the action to the politics, so the entire game just becomes a b!tchfest for OCD crackheads.

I tries to do nothing of the sort, it simply ended up that way by accident. That's why it's perverse.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Roanoke

I wonder why GS migrated into the BoB area rather than expanding ? I have no idea how eve works but I guess because they couldn't control both zones and had to inorder to take advantage of the situatiuon ?

How come the inner zone remains untounched btw ?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Real space combat is something like Forever War

Did you just?....

*Facepalm*

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
How come the inner zone remains untounched btw ?

Highsec and lowsec rather than nosec. NPC-owned space, you can't take stuff from the empires. (Although since FW you can change the color of the dot.)

A Feddie Story

Offline Roanoke

Oh so there are CPU empires alongside player/player-clan empires too ?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I wonder why GS migrated into the BoB area rather than expanding ? I have no idea how eve works but I guess because they couldn't control both zones and had to inorder to take advantage of the situatiuon ?

two reasons, 1) apparently it's got by far the best resources of any region, 2) LuLz
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
So did BoB lose all their systems?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh so there are CPU empires alongside player/player-clan empires too ?

Sort of.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

BoB is gone, and Goonswarm owns the name now. BoBs' remnants reformed as Kenzoku (aka Kenny) and are attempting to hold a few pockets, but it doesn't look good.

Offline Roanoke

Cool. Reminds me of the fall of the Jedi lol!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
How are other clans/players reacting?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How are other clans/players reacting?

Knowing EVE, opportunistically.

Lots of corporations (they're not called clans in EVE) make up an alliance, and BoB had a whole nest of ally corps called the 'Greater BoB Community'. I believe they've largely disintegrated.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
How is the game not layered?  The number of actual job opportunities is probably higher than that of any other MMO out there.  EVE's _strength_ is that it can reflect real world behavior so well.  Sure, you might think at first it's supposed to get you away from that, but the difference here is the lack of real world consequences.  You can be the criminal mastermind or the knight in shining armor and still sleep at night without worrying about your nemesis putting a knife in your back (unless you parked your Navy Apoc in a 'safe' that someone could find in < 15 minutes).  There's no other MMO that let's the players use the universe as a sandbox in the way that CCP does.  How many other MMOs can cater so completely to warlords, CEO and beancounter types alike?  WoW doesn't come close to approaching this on the same scale as EVE.  So you can knock it for being 'too real' all you want, I'm not saying it's for everybody, but that's the point.  If you need a simpler game there's plenty out there.  It really is the thinking man's MMO.  Have fun slaying rats otherwise.

Edit:  Also, that last comment reminded me.  It was damn easy to make the game interesting during just a 2 week trial period.  I was out in 0.0 security as soon as I finished training and a couple of easy missions.  Took my Velator out with some drones and starting going through systems with a recent high body count, scavenging for any wrecks I could loot.  Fun times honestly, considering how noob I was.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

BoB is gone, and Goonswarm owns the name now. BoBs' remnants reformed as Kenzoku (aka Kenny) and are attempting to hold a few pockets, but it doesn't look good.

After that they were Bob.R (Band of Brothers Reloaded) for a bit after they petitioned CCP to get their name changed. But after a public outburst of yet another favoritism act CCP changed their name back to Kenzoku.