Author Topic: A Possible New BSG Game?  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Striker

A Possible New BSG Game?
I was checking out Bear McCreary's latest blog entry when at the bottom of it I came across this interesting snippet:

(I’m also hopeful that we’ll be able to release a soundtrack album for the super-cool top-secret video game project that I scored recently.  If you guys like the score to BG, you’re going to frakkin’ flip out when you hear this!  Details will be announced as soon as I’m allowed to say what it is!)

Of course the implications of a non-casual BSG game are both exciting and frightening (for the future of this mod). But it's obviously entirely possible that this project has nothing to do with our beloved show. I figured you all would be interested in seeing this.
...lurk

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: A Possible New BSG Game?
That game may somewhat "interfere" with Diaspora should it be a space simulation. In any other case, it shouldn't pose a "threat".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Where does it say it's a Battlestar game?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Good point...that "score to BG" part has kind of fooled me.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I don't think it's a BSG game. Firstly, he's not writing about it like it's a BSG project. I mean, read it again. It's in "Bear's Battlestar Blog" - he know's that the prople reading it are going to be maybe 2% BSG music fans and 98% pure BSG fans who like the music and everything else BSG they can get their hands on. So he knows his readership would like it if it was a BSG game, but he delivers it as "You liked that, so you might also like this".

Secondly, the recession's hitting game developers too, so any dev house that got the contract to make a BSG Game - pretty much the hottest property in Sci Fi at the moment and a nearly guaranteed moneyspinner - would be crowing about it. Or at the very least make a stock exchange announcement to get their share prices up, which would rapidly leak into general Gaming/BSG newssits. In short, if a major BSG game was in development - and, for that matter, had made it to the music stage - we'd know about it.

TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Besides, Bear already said in one of his replies that the game wouldn't be in the BSG universe.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
He's working on Diaspora  :nervous:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I wish :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Just sounds like he's the composer to a new game.

Hrmmmm...maybe its that rumored new C&C game thats rumored (could be a Generals sequel).  They always like to play up having some sort of artist thats doing the music.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

I'd rather EA hit up Frank Klepacki for the soundtrack to a C&C game rather than Bear.  Taiko drums and GLA don't mix.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'd rather EA hit up Frank Klepacki for the soundtrack to a C&C game rather than Bear.  Taiko drums and GLA don't mix.

I think you're doin' him a bit o' disservice, Bear's repertoire extends beyond just taiko drums.  If you happen t' peruse his site you might notice he does music other then Battlestar Galactica.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I think you're doin' him a bit o' disservice, Bear's repertoire extends beyond just taiko drums.  If you happen t' peruse his site you might notice he does music other then Battlestar Galactica.

Given the sound design that was used for the GLA in Generals (very Black Hawk Down inspired), Bear's one of the best composers out there to compose design for them.

Of course, C&C has always concerned itself more with cheesy flavor than too much gritty realism. I hope they get back to the Tiberium universe soon.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I don't think you're giving Bear much credit there.  He's got a huge range of sound in him...taiko drums are the signature of BSG but he's done other things.  Including some really great stuff that had no drums in it at all but lots of string and piano.  And that was for BSG.  So...I think the man can probably take anything on.

Most of C&C has a bit of a cheesy feel except for Tiberian Sun, Tiberian Wars, and Generals to some degree.  I'm sort of hoping the next game to be a Generals sequel and for that to be more gritty than the last one.
- IceFire

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Tiberian Sun and Wars as not cheesy? You missed the whole "Rugged Action hero gets the mutant chick" bit? ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
That was just cliche :)
- IceFire

Well, I just hope the next C&C game is Generals 2, and it has a good soundtrack.  I think EA did a fair (not good or great job) on Generals, and I can't wait for a new one.  Hopefully they use an engine besides SAGE this time around.  SAGE is getting a bit on in years, and it is fairly hard to mod.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I bet you liked Generals because the USA was so overpowered. *grin*

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
According to Joystiq, Bear McCreary is working on the score for Capcom's Dark Void.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/02/dark-void-scored-by-battlestar-galacticas-bear-mccreary/

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, hey! That game looks decent.

Offline Snagger

I don't think you're giving Bear much credit there.  He's got a huge range of sound in him...taiko drums are the signature of BSG but he's done other things.  Including some really great stuff that had no drums in it at all but lots of string and piano.  And that was for BSG.  So...I think the man can probably take anything on.

Just remember the beautiful orchestral piece for the opera house scenes in BSG - we're nearly talking about Beethoven or Mozart quality of composition.

Still, my favourite piece of music from BSG was the opening theme from the mini-series.  Did he do that too?