Author Topic: Suggestion for a new section  (Read 6475 times)

Re: Suggestion for a new section
So talk about them on the modding forum and put them on the wiki when you're done. :)

At that point why bother with wiki when you can give them a direct url? Besides the freespace wiki should be about freespace itself (and there-in it's models).  It's organizing is good for the freespace stuff, but if have to start adding in everyone else's species and catagories it's going to get messy.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can't see why they shouldn't. Despite the name the wiki is really for everything Freespace or FS2_Open related.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Do their "universes" go in there?

Offline Rico

yer, all that complication in the wiki to replace a single sub forum where the modeler can post his finished model, yer thats inteligent  :nervous:
I'm I the only one that see's the wiki as being the harder and more complex way (not ever1 can post on wiki, its not in the forum thus not everone uses it etc)  :wtf:
really guys, your going about it the hard way  :blah:

EDIT: On project perfect mod forums they break them into their subcatagories under their media section (models, shp and voxels) and it makes it far easier to navigate and find stuff  :nervous:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:19:38 am by Rico »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You really think a forum is more elegant?

Okay, lets suppose we make a forum and people post mods for an entire year. Now imagine how hard it is going to be to find anything. With the wiki if I wanted a Vasudan fighter I'd go to mods->Vasudan->Fighter. The wiki could also be organised to make it possible to search Mods->Fighter->Vasudan as well.

In contrast the forum is not organised. If I want to search for a mod my option is to click through the pages of the forum one at a time. Sure you can enforce thread naming conventions to make it easier to order the forum alphabetically but that's still inherently less elegant than the wiki is.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I find the wiki way harder and more complex.

Offline Rico

Theres a different Kara, I'm talking about using it for checking up on new releases, so in that case race/alphabetical order are irrelivant, forums do things in 'age' very well  :nervous:
Point is if someone is after a Vasudan ship they go to the Wiki and there they got all of them, but if they want to see whats been released in the last, say, 3 months, they can go back through the models subforum until they get to where they last checked  :)

Your looking at the issue from a different perspective then I'm coming at, hence why your not seeing the prospect of it :nervous:

Also, I dont see why you cant just put in the sub forum, that way people can choose how they want to find the models, atm we only have your way (it also means the wiki people can easily see whats been released because it would be sitting right there)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Because there is effort involved in putting the forum in, in maintaining it, and in cleaning it up and archiving it if no one uses it. We've had plenty of dead subforums in the past and I don't particularly want to add another one unless  I know it won't end up the same way.

On top of which, giving people a choice which one to use is counterproductive. Some people will use the release forum, some will use the Wiki, some will use both and your idea of being able to simply look in one place and see what has been released recently is completely undermined.

As for chronological order, Forums can be very bad at doing that. All it takes is for someone to post on the release thread or edit the inital post and now things are out of order.

Offline Rico

True but if people are still posting in a thread it is usually still a recent (compared to a month or so ago) thread.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I totally agree with Karajorma.

The Wiki isn't difficult to use and I can ensure you that there's a lot of effort behind it. Quite frankly, I don't think a thread that will end up in spamming would be useful.

FreeSpace Wiki > Forums

Just look at Skippy's Campaign List (no offense to Skippy) and compare it with its Wiki counterpart. It's a matter of numbers here: a thread can be updated by its creator, only, unless you find Global Moderators and/or Administrators willing to do that for him - and believe me, that is very unlikely for happen for several reasons. The heads of the site can't be bothered to upgrade a few threads here and there with info.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Rico

ah well, just an idea  :nervous:

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I think the wiki could use an upgrade then to make it a little more navigable then?

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Well if you have a good idea put it out there.

Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
The wiki is supposed to be a source of data, not a log IMO, you might want to check what kind of info you are looking for.

For example the chances of getting detailed info about modding stuff like the original set up's and fields of the different tables is much more probable than finding a "how to make a nameplate" or "what's the latest ship" in the wiki.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The Wiki has everything, really. People who think that it's just a source of canonical data are tremendously wrong.

Maybe they're not responsible for this, however: "FreeSpace Wiki" sounds like a source of canonical data, only. There's nothing in the name about modding, texturing, FREDding and so on, meaning that people looking for tutorials may ignore the Wiki in their efforts to get things working.

In any case, the FS Wiki is incredibly underrated. There also is extremely poor linking.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Wiki is pretty hard to navigate for newbs though.

Even a while after it was removed it still claimed Retail FS2 was available in the launcher.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
There should be more redirects, IMO. Basic words/phrases leading to tutorials/main articles would be fine. Even disambiguations could be used for that.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Even a while after it was removed it still claimed Retail FS2 was available in the launcher.

Huh?

Offline Rico

I think he was refering to downloadable FS2 iso's