Just a short post featuring two upcoming Capital ships. Two frigates for both factions. The Human FF "Sinope" and the Veslan FF "Delmmer"
Just to point out some thing here about Capships in SA:FSO, this game will follow traditional Naval Ship Class Designations
CC = Corvettes** ~100m long
FF = Frigates ~ 250m
DD = Destroyers** ~350m
CL = Light Cruisers ~500m
BC = Battle Cruisers** ~700m
BB = Battleships* ~1km
CVL = Escort Carriers ~600m
CV = Carriers* ~1.5km
BV = Battle Carriers ~1km
DN = Dreadnaughts* ~1.5km or larger
*Not featured in planned campaigns, however, we are leaving the option open.
** Ship Size only utilized by the Veslans
As far as the direction we are going, we have had points of contention. But for the most part we have agreed on several core elements to this game, as far as the "Realism" / "Fantasy" tug'o'war is concerned.
As far as realism is concerned;
1. We will be focusing on doing PROPER Astronomy. As in, star systems are being researched as best as possible based on the information we can gain from the internet. My biggest pet peeve has always been when game designers get stars wrong. We won't be doing that.
2. I have been pushing for "Realism in Human Nature", events in the game will be based on pragmatism and human nature, combats decisions made by the admirals and captians in the story should not feel "forced" or "awkward" by the player. Everything should hopefully run its course the way one would expect.
Nothing leading to a,
"Why would you do that?!" reaction should happen.
As far as fantasy is concerned;
1. We are following the rule of cool. Its more important that the ships in the game are cool looking than practical.
2. We are throwing the laws of physics out the window. This game never had a good physics model to begin with and we won't try to fix it.
3. We are avoiding "exact" numbers as much as possible. The more generalized the game is, the better. (Fewer things for nitpicks to pick at).
4. This is a TC based on a VERY OLD Sega game. As such, I am pushing to preserve something of a "Classic Sega Arcade" feel to the game. For the player, this should look, sound, and feel like a Classic Late 80s - Early 90s Sega game. (Think Galaxy Force II or After Burner II, only without the rails.)
5. THIS IS NOT AN "ON RAILS" SHOOTER.
(I hate those games anyways, especially Star Fox, ***waves middle finger at nintendo
6. This is a game meant for Nostalgia fags, while at the same time being fun and simple enough to hopefully attract the casual crowd.
7. I want to do multiplayer with this someday, so game balance is very important outside the singleplayer campaign.
But yeah, that's that.