Author Topic: 2009-04-15 - A First Look At The Battlestar Theseus  (Read 40973 times)

Offline newman

Re: 09-04-15 - A First Look At The Battlestar Theseus
Mrm...I disagree, but it's no game-breaker for me, so carry on. Beautiful work on the ship.

If you've seen the whole show, including the finale, you'll see that ANY earth mythology is fair game - there is no logical reason why any of them shouldn't be used. Just in case someone hasn't seen the finale, I'll proceed with spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
It's highly unlikely us earthlings came up with identical mythologies all of our own - it's fair to assume that the colonials, after landing, spread around the planet, some possibly using the remaining raptors, spreading their culture as the years passed. And 12 colonies counts for plenty of mythology. After seeing the finale, I'm pretty open to any ancient earth mythology as a source for ship names, since it's originally colonial mythology anyways :)

Torc, you're correct - this one doesn't retract hangars. She's not exactly as old as Galactica - while the Galactica was around for the whole, or most of the 1st Cylon War, the Sobek class entered service near the end of it, and only a few were completed in time to see real action in that war. So while not new like the Mercury class, it's still a newer (and smaller) design then the Galactica, so she doesn't need retractable pods.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
is good the idea to put the main cannons in the pods!  ;7 great and cool look! small but she have all, just like my girlfriend!  :D
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Echelon9

Landing length of the pods: 544 meter.
... and yet it still provides ample opportunity for me to slam my Viper hard onto the deck in some form of spinning, twisting, high-angled escape from pursuing Raiders or missiles.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Mrm...I disagree, but it's no game-breaker for me, so carry on. Beautiful work on the ship.

If you've seen the whole show, including the finale, you'll see that ANY earth mythology is fair game - there is no logical reason why any of them shouldn't be used. Just in case someone hasn't seen the finale, I'll proceed with spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
It's highly unlikely us earthlings came up with identical mythologies all of our own - it's fair to assume that the colonials, after landing, spread around the planet, some possibly using the remaining raptors, spreading their culture as the years passed. And 12 colonies counts for plenty of mythology. After seeing the finale, I'm pretty open to any ancient earth mythology as a source for ship names, since it's originally colonial mythology anyways :)

Torc, you're correct - this one doesn't retract hangars. She's not exactly as old as Galactica - while the Galactica was around for the whole, or most of the 1st Cylon War, the Sobek class entered service near the end of it, and only a few were completed in time to see real action in that war. So while not new like the Mercury class, it's still a newer (and smaller) design then the Galactica, so she doesn't need retractable pods.

Right, right. Makes sense. It doesn't seem parsimonious, but it fits with the canon, so I'll buy it.

Good explanation, by the way.

Very good looking ship. Allow me, however, to nitpick your fluff for it.  ;7

If this ship entered service towards the end of the Cylon war, why would it be designed to be so dependent on supply lines? Ship designers already had experience with the Columbia class, which is self-sufficient, and they already are well aware of the demands of the war. It would seem to me that any ship designed during the war would be mandated to be self-sufficient. Having to keep this ship close to supply dumps, or having it followed by supply ships, seems like an unnecessary burden and a blatant risk. If the Sobek-class gets cut off, its going to be dead in the water in short order.

Still a good looking ship though, thanks for sharing it with us!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:03:48 am by Angreifer »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, yeah, but "supply lines" do not exist if you have a FTL drive like BSG (Up to the infamous red line, anyway). I guess ships like these would be used to hit a Target of opportunity, or in a defensive role. These could essentially cover a colony, or several colonies, while operating from a fixed base somewhere. Offensively, they could be deployed to reinforce a strike group centered on a Galactica-class Battlestar for quick strike missions.
So basically, you have Galacticas to find and engage the enemy, and Theseuses (Theseii?) to hold and patrol the Areas you have already conquered, as well as to reinforce a battle group that needs additional firepower for a short-term operation.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:36:40 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The class name is Sobek. The Theseus is a single ship of that class. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I can see where you're coming from, The E. I guess the Sobek-class can be viewed as a pocket carrier? I still feel like it should have at least rudimentary maintenance facilities, however. Maybe it uses new space-reducing interior architecture techniques so it can have a couple of small, basic maintenance bays? Lets face it, birds are gonna get bent in peace time day-to-day operation, let alone war time.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then I guess it makes sense that the fluff pretty much states outright that the class was considered something of a failure. This would be one of those designs that make sense during wartime, where they can fill a highly specialized role adequately (and, more importantly, free up the more versatile ships for more important roles), but which aren't ideal for peacetime duties. After the war ended, the colonial fleet probably decided that the support intensive ships like the Sobek should be replaced with more versatile ships (like the Valkyrie).

I guess ships like these are perfectly capable of doing minor repairs on their strike craft, but do not possess the manufacturing capabilities of Galactica, meaning that they can't do any major repairs, or produce new ships on their own. Again, it comes down to the operating conditions they were designed for, with support being easily (and securely) reachable at any time.

EDIT: Another thought: The Sobek does seem to be less manpower-intensive than the Galactica, with more emphasis on the shooters, and less slots for mechanics. I guess that the colonial military did have to operate under rather tight manpower constraints, with experienced mechanics/technicians being in high demand. Having a design like the Sobek, which relies on a centralised support structure, would be somewhat logical, as one support crew can support several combat ships.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:31:09 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I think this looks sort of like a Valkyrie predecessor, maybe they built the Valkyrie after this one taking design traits from the Columbia as well as the Sobek. (obviously non-canon)
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh no, the Valkyrie isn't much larger then one of Tessie's pods.  Its hard to see from the show but the Valk is extremely small, Tessie while smaller and sleeker then the Galactica is still very much a big warship.  Besides I've already put together a few 1CW era versions of Valkyrie tonnage :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Oh no, the Valkyrie isn't much larger then one of Tessie's pods.  Its hard to see from the show but the Valk is extremely small, Tessie while smaller and sleeker then the Galactica is still very much a big warship.  Besides I've already put together a few 1CW era versions of Valkyrie tonnage :D

...Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
We're not here to mess around
Boston, you know we love you madly
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I now need someone to make an alternate skin for the Theseus with the Red Sox logo emblazoned on it.   :D

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I like the design, but one thing bugs me - if the pods can't retract, why bother with any indentation along the side?
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline newman

There is no pod shaped indentation along the side. Imagine the pods retracting and you'll see there's actually no room for them to retract to. It's thinner along the middle, yes, but every battlestar design is - seen the Pegasus lately? :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I didn't mean to imply that the indentation was pod sized. It's the same height as the bars which connect the pod to the ship. Pegasus doesn't have that.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Yeah...and Pegasus does not have AA railguns...we need to remove them from Galactica. Pegasus does not have retractable pods, those are stupid, and there is no room for the retracting arms in the main hull, therefore that is physically impossible too, we should remove them from Galactica. Galactica has only 2 arms. Therefore the 3rd one on Pegasus is a complete waste of material and must be gone! Shall I go on? :P
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline newman

At the risk of starting a long winded debate.. I don't think the colonials use railguns. It was never mentioned on the show, fans started that one. And things like muzzle flashes and actual bullet casings we saw would suggest a chemical propellant, rather then an electrical one.
I agree with the rest of your post, though :)

Offline Baschl

At the risk of starting a long winded debate.. I don't think the colonials use railguns.

I hope I can prevent the debate with this one  :rolleyes: : http://www.specialopsent.com/AA_textured_V29_R002_0033.gif
Look at the little writing: "caution - active gauss"
It´s from Paul Ghezzo´s site. So you´re right, there are no railguns  ;)

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Sorry...my mistake. I remembered this render, and I saw on it that there is no barrel. There are the slugs and an electromagnetic acceleration system, nothing else.

So, those are Gauss guns according to the writings on it.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Wow the new bucket on the block.

Looks amazing.

I can't wait to see it in action!

Pew pew!!!111 1 1