Author Topic: 2009-04-15 - A First Look At The Battlestar Theseus  (Read 40972 times)

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
Re: 09-04-15 - A First Look At The Battlestar Theseus
As an engineer I never understood the whole arm connected to the pod idea. For the Galactica with its retracting pods I understood why they used spindly arms. But if the pods don't need to retract then why not make the pods attach directly to the main body? This would allow the pilots to travel more quickly to the pods (right now only a few doors on a 1+ km ship go to the pods). Also if I was the cylon commander I would have my raiders attack (or suicide into) the spindly arms, if destroyed the pods would come off and then the vipers would not be able to land, also how would a ship like the Galactica jump if it was missing a pod? It would throw off the weight completely.

Those are just my observations on the general battlestar design.

On another note. The Theseus looks friken amazing :eek2:. I wish i could model that well, and I use models like this to inspire me to work harder at my modeling. Keep it up, you keep us newby modelers hoping.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
In which Battlestar group is the Theseus?

Offline newman

Slayer's sketch states 29, though I suspect that number was made up on the spot :) To be honest I have no idea if we'll stick to that number, though I don't see why not either.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Slayer's sketch states 29, though I suspect that number was made up on the spot :) To be honest I have no idea if we'll stick to that number, though I don't see why not either.

Thanks, i use that number then, should be easy enough to change the texture should the team decide to change it.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Sobek is Battlestar Group 29 i'm not sure what group Tessie is.

As for the Pod n' Strut arrangement if I were to wager a hypothesis I assume its because the pods are perhaps the most vulnerable part of the ship.  Like a real Bird farm, the pods are probably full of ammo and aviation fuel in a fairly exposed position.  Given that the pods are a potential firebomb they are held out on struts so as to increase the survivability of the ship should one of them have a catastrophic accident..   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:23:19 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Interesting observation......

I would think they would keep the ammo and fuel tucked away in a safe spot instead of on the pods.... But thats just me.

Offline newman

Main ammo and fuel storage, sure. But you can't avoid having fuel and ammo present in the pods, not if you want to refuel and rearm your birds anyway. I suspect they'd have smaller storages for both, in which fuel and ammo is transferred as required.
Master_Drow - about the struts that keep the pods in place.. those things are huge and bulky. It would take great amounts of time and firepower to "saw" through all of them to separate the pods from the ship - and I doubt a battlestar and her viper complement would just sit still and let you do that to it :) And with the amount of precisely directed firepower you'd need to spend on doing that, you might have just as well directed it to a more critical area of the ship, something that would cripple or destroy it for good, like punch through to the main tylium fuel lines/tanks, take out the main reactor, or something along those lines.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Probably meant to conserve on materials. Remember, they were in the middle of a war.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Probably to make it look cool. :P

Peggy looks cool, doesn't she? (Yes) --> End of arguing...

We are talking about make-believe, don't forget.

Does Theseus look cool? (Yes) --> stfu. :D
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Probably to make it look cool. :P

Peggy looks cool, doesn't she? (Yes) --> End of arguing...

We are talking about make-believe, don't forget.

Does Theseus look cool? (Yes) --> stfu. :D
Well obviously, kind of hard to read meaning into something in which there never was one.

well that and the arms are a nod to the original layout of the battlestars form the classic series.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I'm saying that the designers didn't think about structural integrity and engineering when they made the show, they just thought about coolness.

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Exactly...
Talking about coolness. Here is a higher resolution render:
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I love you people. Only 26 main guns? (52 if you count barrels). What do the rest look like?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I love you people. Only 26 main guns? (52 if you count barrels). What do the rest look like?

click on the pic above, and check the section near ( left and right ) the nameplate, for instance.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Oooooohhh...

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
really good job guys... there's no much more to say... in italian we say...STI CAZZI!!! :lol:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
One question: is the Theseus supposed to be the only Sobek-class Battlestar?

really good job guys... there's no much more to say... in italian we say...STI C***I!!! :lol:

The Power of Censorship... :drevil:

The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline newman

Let's keep it non-vulgar please. In all languages.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
One question: is the Theseus supposed to be the only Sobek-class Battlestar?

Nope.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]