Author Topic: I'm just saying.  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Why are we including a glow-tag button that when used, instead of glowing (if capable) or simply not glowing your text, instead antagonizes the user? I appreciate the sentiment totally, but for a niche of the internet that pretends to pride itself on its internet civility, this feels a little out of place.

I'm just saying.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Because glow tags mess up all browsers except IE since they don't follow the standards.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why are we including a glow-tag button that when used, instead of glowing (if capable) or simply not glowing your text, instead antagonizes the user? I appreciate the sentiment totally, but for a niche of the internet that pretends to pride itself on its internet civility, this feels a little out of place.

I'm just saying.

The glow tag is supported by default by SMF and therefore needs to be overridden in some way in order to prevent it working.

Quietly disabling it however would simply result in posts asking "Why doesn't the glow tag work any more?". This makes it a lot more obvious why.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.

I'm just saying.

The glow tag is supported by default by SMF and therefore needs to be overridden in some way in order to prevent it working.

Quietly disabling it however would simply result in posts asking "Why doesn't the glow tag work any more?". This makes it a lot more obvious why.

Right. This is a better answer. Thank you.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline iamzack

what's glow tag do?

edit: ohhh
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I never really enjoy looking through old threads and having them littered with this though.

No one really comes around asking for avatars all that much. To me that would be way more popular. I almost never see glow text anywhere else.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You wot?

I can see at least a couple of thread with of people asking on the first page of this forum.

That said, now that people have gotten the message why it doesn't work it might be time to change it. :)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
For the sheer number of people that come here it's pretty low I think.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Ah but avatars have always not worked here. If the glow tag had simply suddenly stopped glowing after working (poorly) for years, we'd still be hearing about it now.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm a dick so I went and disabled the damn tag, whoever asks why it doesn't work will be banned for 48 hours. :p

Edit: Re-enabling the tag will involve sufficient bribe.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:42:18 am by Fury »

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Ah but avatars have always not worked here. If the glow tag had simply suddenly stopped glowing after working (poorly) for years, we'd still be hearing about it now.

I mean I get why you couldn't just turn it off, but it's been off for a while. I mean I look though old threads and I'm saying "I know they don't work!"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Like I said, it's probably time to kill it once and for all now anyway.