Author Topic: Highlight display on front page  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Highlight display on front page
Did anyone ever figure out why the highlights often display something like this?

Or am I the only poor sap who has it happen to them? :p

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Re: Highlight display on front page
Apparently that happens when your screen is set at 1024x768 resolution...  I can see it just fine in 1280x1024.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
There is a front page  :confused:

Seriously it's not the resolution I get it as well.  My guess is it's the text being longer on the first highlight throwing it off
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
click home at the top of the page.......
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Shows up the funky way on mine. I'm like 1400x900 or some such nonsense.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Nope, not fine at 1920*1080. FF3 and FF2 both do this.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I run at 1280x960 myself, and it displays like this more often than not, depending on which particular foursome of highlights is on display.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
So it's obviously not a resolution problem, I see the box out of place too...  Another thing that's evident is that the first box contains a lot of text.  The site may use some kind of grid-fitting algorithm to place the highlight boxes, so if the first highlight box contains too much text, the next highlight box gets pushed down.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
That's what I thought, but why would some people not see it?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Different browser not interpreting the code the same?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Or some people are cooler than others. :-)

FireFox 3.0.8/3.0.9 (with and without IETab), Chrome, Safari and IE 7/8 on my PC render it fine at 1680*1050.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

That's odd. I have FF 3.0.8 on 1680x1050 as well, and they show up like Mongoose posted.  :confused:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
TEXT LENGTH. :p

The highlight boxes aren't fixed-size, so they stretch or shrink to adapt to the text.  We try to keep the text all the same number of lines, but that's not guaranteed to hold up over a variety of screen resolutions.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, adding that phrase to the Windmills highlight fixed it on my end, but I can't help but wonder now who else got screwed up by it. :p

Hypothetically, I feel like making the boxes fixed-size would probably be the best solution.  Text which overruns the maximum line length could default into ending in an ellipsis and having a text tag display the full caption.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Should project heads give little blurbs to fit in the space or should it keep being the way it is.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
*shrug*