Author Topic: Implementing shadows(self-shadowing first) in GLSL...  (Read 23898 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Implementing shadows(self-shadowing first) in GLSL...
Calm down karx11erx. HT has already said more than a couple of times that he considers stencilled shadows a huge improvement on the current code. And I doubt he'd complain much if the game code never went beyond that.

You have to differentiate between the scientific argument and the what should be done to the game engine argument. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
What he said.

Stencilled shadows would be awesome, soft shadow possibility even better, and considering there are quite a few mods that involve or are planning to involve atmospheric missions (Shadows of Lylat, 158th Banshee Squadron, probably Diaspora, even retail FreeSpace 2 nebula missions) it wouldn't be wasted effort. Just possibly excessively awesome considering the implementation of soft shadows would also work if you wanted stenciled shadows, but stencil shadows wouldn't work if you wanted to have soft shadows.

And like you would have noticed if you read my messages thoroughly, the shadow edges on the photographs of our space ships don't show soft shadows, because the spacecrafts are so small and distances so short that it really doesn't start showing on the photographs. Self shadowing of fighter/bomber sized ships would look pretty much like stenciled shadows for obvious reasons, but remember that an Ursa is already larger than the Space Shuttle Orbiter, and we haven't built six kilometres long warships so showing images of Skylab or the Orbiter isn't really relevant on how shadows would look on that kind of behemoths...

Also, regarding perfectionism, I refer you to my recently aquired user title. :p I do think that if possible, modeling things as accurately as possible will be more beneficial in the long run, even if technically easier but more crude way would suffice for current purposes. That's why I think that if feasible, soft shadows wouldn't be wasted effort. If it's not feasible, then stencil shadows are just fine and dandy. But I am not a coder so I wouldn't know how much more difficult it would be to make the shadow geometry realistically defined by the apparent diameter of light source. Probably a lot. :D

Stencil shadows with ambient occlusion would probably make me defecate ceramic building materials right there, I don't know what soft shadows would do... :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
No soft shadows w/o diffuse light.

Fine :C

As far as the nebula go: Just because they appear as colorful, dense clouds in a telescope doesn't mean they're like that in space.

Quite true. However, FS2 doesn't care what they're supposed to be like.

I do think that if possible, modeling things as accurately as possible will be more beneficial in the long run

Not in programming. Rendering something with stencil shadows and rendering something with soft shadows requires 2 very different approaches.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I do think that if possible, modeling things as accurately as possible will be more beneficial in the long run

Not in programming. Rendering something with stencil shadows and rendering something with soft shadows requires 2 very different approaches.

Hence the disclaimer "if feasible".
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Calm down karx11erx.
I would sound pretty different if I wasn't calm. Let's just say that I occasionally tend to express my opinions in a rather pointed way. Don't over-interprete it. ;)

Also, regarding perfectionism, I refer you to my recently aquired user title. :p
Yeah, I had noticed it and have had my thoughts about it already. :P

Stencil shadows are cheap performance wise, particularly in an environment as FS with no static geometry (only objects). Soft shadows are costly. Depends on what class of machines you want to be able to have shadows on ... ;7
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:00:02 am by karx11erx »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
karx11erx, want to help out with implementing the damn thing then?

as for my understanding of soft vs stencil only, its hard to get the former without the latter :p

also, soft shadows can be made via shaders, taking the data stencil shadows give and fuzzyfying the edges with the likes of gaussian blur and stuff. (probably not exactly gaussian blur, but you get the idea....) i think.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Provided FS(2) is using FBOs as render targets, making soft shadows from stencil shadows and blending them into the final image shouldn't be too hard.

Before I start to implement stencil shadows, I first need to understand the model renderer and probably replace it by a better one (as I said: I have written a pretty well optimized model renderer for D2X-XL using VBOs that understands POF, OOF and ASE formats). That would be both beneficial for FS and make it easier for me to add stencil shadows as I know my own code pretty well. ;)

I have read that FS2 open already uses shaders and I need to find out how and to what extent. I don't know e.g. whether it already uses per pixel lighting. If not I could add that, and in a subsequent step we could implement bump mapping to give the ships more detail at little extra cost (would require somebody to create bump maps for the ship textures though).

Another thing I'd really like to see are smoke trails for missiles. These are easy to implement and really give an entirely new dimension to a game like FS because they add a real sense of depth and distance to huge scenes like those in FS.

I am currently having a problem with checking out the source code from the SVN repo (svn://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open). Either I get a gateway error (#502) or a message that icculus.org doesn't respond. :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:18:10 am by karx11erx »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken