Author Topic: Implementing shadows(self-shadowing first) in GLSL...  (Read 23904 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Implementing shadows(self-shadowing first) in GLSL...
I've been toying with this for a long time now, and i'm wondering, which things does the underlying OGL code expose? I've noted that i've been unable to appropriately implement anything even reminiscent of self-shadowing -.-

In any case, my idea for the implementation of shadows is something similar to Carmack's Reverse, with the shadow volume being capped in the distance of say 500m ingame, depending on the size of the shadowed object....

Since i'm obviously too dumb for things like pure OGL code, i've been trudging through the GLSL trying to figure out something worthwile... Anyone care to help?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Re: Implementing shadows(self-shadowing first) in GLSL...
i can't help you anyway i don't know anything about coding, but i just post to support you !

I wish you success!
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
You may be able to get something going with steep parallax mapping, however the performance hit might be pretty extreme.  I'm not sure how else to get a decent effect with the current code though.

The current code was always intended to primarily be a place-holder/research-aid in order to work out what would be needed to add proper shader support in the future.  So what's there now is really just a shader version of the fixed-function pipeline, with all of the same basic limitations.  Somebody else might have an idea that could get it to work in pure GLSL, but I can't think of anything that would be remotely acceptable without a lot of code changes to get it working.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
time to dig into the OGL then :p

can you atleast tell me exactly which shaders are used on following settings

ship lab:

no diffuse, no spec, no normal, no env, no glow

only diffuse enabled

I cant seem to really isolate a single shader file with which i might test properly. basically, i'd need some more detailed guidelines...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Isn't there another thread and now a wiki page with all of this information?  I don't know the links though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
yeah, there is, and if you remember, i participated in that discussion, tho i still havent isolated the ones where i can actually see any change, so yeah, help from the man who made them would be appreciated.

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
no diffuse, no spec, no normal, no env, no glow
Should be l-v and null-f (no maps, only lighting).

only diffuse enabled
Would be l-v and lb-f (assuming lighting, otherwise null-v and b-f).

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
tnx.

i thought i was doing something wrong... damn... hmmmm...

the fun part? for example, in the shader designer i can see the rough effect of my code. in the ship lab, i fail to see any change at all. Does the usual folder hierarchy (ie. fs2/data/ dirs trounce mod folders and built in vp's?) apply to sdr files too or?

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
When I was working on that stuff originally I just made mod folders for testing different shaders.  So if I was you I would create a "shadows" mod and put the shader files that you are working on under data/effects/ in that new mod directory.  Then just put "shadows" first in your -mod cmdline and that way you will always know that you are working with the files that you want to use.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
tnx :)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
where in the code can i find the data that reveals what does OGL code expose to the shaders? I've been rummaging about now, and its kind of hard to find...

Online taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
The uniforms that it uses are in gropenglshader.cpp (big array near the top of the file).  Beyond that and a few of the built-ins needed to render, nothing else gets exposed.  It really only offers the basic settings/functionality that the fixed-function pipeline uses too.

Is there something specific that you were looking for?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i've been looking to analyze the code exposing to see what i can actually use to get the needed data for the bloody thing...

after further research, i need to either get the stencil buffer out to the shaders, or something like that... after 3-4 hours of researching through ****, i'm at a loss... i'll work out something, could you just direct me to the part of the code that deals with depth buffers and in general framebuffers?

[edit] after some thinking, i believe that doing it via shadow volumes would probably be the best option... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume )

My proposal?

Get the engine to actually do the damn thing :p

(no, its not a feature request, its more of a "point me to the relevant blocks of code and i might do something proper for a change" :p )

It might be worth to explore this problematic further....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:09:21 pm by pecenipicek »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Careful, apparently some of those techniques are patented.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken