Author Topic: The Apollo Textures  (Read 6871 times)

Not to insult anyone, but I find the textures on the Apollo particurarly hideous, like nothing has changed at all (which seems to be the case, or there is something wrong with my .vp files).

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well it hasn't been HTL-ed yet AFAIK, because I experience retail textures as well when viewing the Apollo, but man, the Valk is one fine looking ship now.

Offline Kolgena

If you're talking about the stock white/grey textures that come with the 3.6.10 port release thread, then I have to agree. To me, the whole ship seems too plain and too bright.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,35943.msg919866.html#msg919866

The above link has a remade Apollo with red trim and duller lighting maps which I prefer. However, your ship selection animations will still display the white apollo (obviously), so you'll have to enable the show ship tag if you have OCD like I do and dislike small inconsistencies like that.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: The Apollo Textures
Well it hasn't been HTL-ed yet AFAIK, because I experience retail textures as well when viewing the Apollo, but man, the Valk is one fine looking ship now.
TBH It kind of looks a bit out of place with that style of mapping. I don't know if it's the color or just the ambient occlusion, but it does look out of place.

Not saying it doesn't look mother****ing brilliant, just out of place. I'd be one happy gastropod of all ships could look liek that. Yeah.

Offline Kolgena

I know. I'm one of the people that think the Valkyrie now looks like a toy spaceship, but it's one hell of a toy spaceship that still manages to trump every other ship in port except the herc, loki, or uly. Of course, that's not the fault of the modeler who made the specific HTL version of the valk. The original [v] model is to blame for its stupidly large cockpit and weird body proportions.

But yeah, although the red recolored apollo textures are great, I think we need a general revamp of them, or at least a normal map for them or something.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh so I wasn't the only one who thought it looked a bit comical, but it looks good none-the-less.

If you're talking about the stock white/grey textures that come with the 3.6.10 port release thread, then I have to agree. To me, the whole ship seems too plain and too bright.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,35943.msg919866.html#msg919866

The above link has a remade Apollo with red trim and duller lighting maps which I prefer. However, your ship selection animations will still display the white apollo (obviously), so you'll have to enable the show ship tag if you have OCD like I do and dislike small inconsistencies like that.

I downloaded this off of freespacemods.net, and it does show up in the ship animations in the tech room, I just stuck everything in the data folder. I really think the ship looks great, and it definitely needs to replace the apollo currently in the fsport as that ship just sticks out like a sore thumb since it is so white. Also there is just so much detail on this new ship, I think it just looks terrific.

I downloaded this off of freespacemods.net, and it does show up in the ship animations in the tech room, I just stuck everything in the data folder. I really think the ship looks great, and it definitely needs to replace the apollo currently in the fsport as that ship just sticks out like a sore thumb since it is so white. Also there is just so much detail on this new ship, I think it just looks terrific.

Wait, what? He's not talking about the tech room view, as it shows the model. He means the ship selection animations in the pre-mission briefing.
I do agree it looks better than the retail textures.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I just stuck everything in the data folder.
Bad. Badbadbad. Goes in /fsport_mediavps/data.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

I just stuck everything in the data folder.
Bad. Badbadbad. Goes in /fsport_mediavps/data.

That's what I meant. haha.  :lol:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The Apollo texture doesn't have normal maps yet. :( And I suppose it could be up-scaled and redrawn, but I personally prefer the gray. If someone *cough*jadehawk*cough* can add some texture and a splash of color to the Apollo without making it look like it's been through the clothes dryer, then we'll use it in FSPort. Right now the FSMods skin and the stock gray are a little too different.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yeah, the Apollo needs to be sexified like the other ships. :P

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The Apollo texture doesn't have normal maps yet. :( And I suppose it could be up-scaled and redrawn, but I personally prefer the gray. If someone *cough*jadehawk*cough* can add some texture and a splash of color to the Apollo without making it look like it's been through the clothes dryer, then we'll use it in FSPort. Right now the FSMods skin and the stock gray are a little too different.

The Mustang Alpha had a ton of variant skins in the TVWP vps, so I took the opportunity of constructing a sharper-looking Apollo skin out of one of them. Only parts of it are actually hi-res, but it looks better.

Also, for all Jadehawk's talents, I don't think his style works very well for FS1 ships. Too smooth and shiny. The Herc III is so immaculate you could see your face in it. That's not what FS1 is supposed to look like.

[attachment deleted by MSC
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

The Mustang Alpha had a ton of variant skins in the TVWP vps, so I took the opportunity of constructing a sharper-looking Apollo skin out of one of them. Only parts of it are actually hi-res, but it looks better.

Also, for all Jadehawk's talents, I don't think his style works very well for FS1 ships. Too smooth and shiny. The Herc III is so immaculate you could see your face in it. That's not what FS1 is supposed to look like.

It is sharper. Thanks!!!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm curious: did the forward canopy frame on the Apollo disappear in the Media VP version? I've seen some screenshots and see the rear canopy support pillar but I don't see the forward assembly...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke