Author Topic: Smoke?  (Read 13941 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The reason why I suggested a branch in ours is that every SCP coder will automatically get updates that way, set up your own and only those who bother to register with it will.

Plus if any part of your code is portable it makes it easier for us to notice and stick it into trunk and get an immediate benefit from it now rather than waiting two years until you're done. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i myself wouldnt mind a complete engine overhaul of anything that can be overhauled. id help if i could get my braincells to stop killing eachother. :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline aRaven

I still don't understand why people have to attack people on the internet. It's so pointless and laughable.

Even if karx doesn't choose to support us or cannot keep his promises, we should welcome him nevertheless.

If he would only start now instead of answering assh*** like mongoose :D.

PS: I have hair, I just choose to shave :P

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If it's a rewrite like it sounds like, there wouldn't really be any code that could be ported, it would be too disconnected.  Since it's not likely to share any real similarity to the existing code, a branch just really wouldn't make a lot of sense since it probably wouldn't even be based on the original code.  There wouldn't be any need to copy the current code to a new branch, so a branch doesn't really apply, in SVN terms.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
PS: I have hair, I just choose to shave :P
I didn't really think you hadn't. ;)

And I haven't promised anything yet. I explicitly stated that here already. I am extremely careful with giving promises, because I believe promises have to be kept.

Offline aRaven

And I haven't promised anything yet. I explicitly stated that here already. I am extremely careful with giving promises, because I believe promises have to be kept.

This is good mental attitude right there! I like you already :D

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
To he who dares tread into the realm of the FS2 rendering engine, I have but two words:

HAVE FUN!

</sarcasm>

I had a similar attitude towards the rendering engine when I first saw it. Then I tried fixing it.

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Blackhole,

grab the original D2X code. Then grab the D2X-XL code and compare.

Then you will know what I can do. I have dug my way through crappy code before. ;)

karx

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, so all bsing aside, what exactly is it you have in mind, and be specific. I'm the guy who hacked together the interface (the D3D implementation I did has been disabled for a while now) for the current graphics pipeline, note I did this years ago while learning how to program, and there are a number of horrors I added to the already racooncity level coding mess we started out with. keep in mind one of the biggest hurtles has always been reverse compatibility.

are you planning a complete graphics abstraction layer rewrite, or are you just planning on improving the particle system.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
You hacked around in the FS code to learn to program? :eek2:

I really don't want to offend anybody here, but are any of those who have tinkered with the FS code professional software developers, or at least software engineering students who knew what they did? :wtf:

I mean, if I start to fiddle with the FS code, does that mean that I have to work with a messy code base that has been messed up even more by amateurs? :shaking:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:06:37 am by karx11erx »

I'm sure a few of the programmers work in the industry.

But, I think you have the original codebase to thank. It's been organically grown from what was started with, and it is a credit to the SCP team that it still works, and that they've managed to grow a community around it.
I don't think there is a single person who would call the codebase 'clean' or 'beautiful'. The original team used the words 'horrifying atrocities' to describe the released code.

By all means, I encourage the development of a new codebase, including graphics pipeline, and base filesystems. But you've gotta realise that this community has been brought together by a love of the game (myself, the story is much better than any other game I've come across recently - IMHO) and a desire to improve the engine and the available campaigns and missions.

Your level of experience will help with developing a new engine, however, we're not all professionals, and working on this game engine has taught some people rather a lot. I look forward to seeing what you can bring to the team.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline karx11erx

• Descent 2 & D2X-XL
If I ever will.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Blackhole,

grab the original D2X code. Then grab the D2X-XL code and compare.

Then you will know what I can do. I have dug my way through crappy code before. ;)

karx

Your funeral :P

That's not to say I don't appreciate the help your trying to offer, I'm just giving you fair warning about what your stepping into. It's not gonna be a piece of cake.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
He hasn't actually offered anything yet, everything up to this point is mere speculation and what-if.  So I think it would be good if everyone stopped assuming he's already offered to rewrite FSO or something.  And I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what he's going into, considering the code bases were written by many of the same programmers with probably a significant shared code base, he's probably seen a lot of it before.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm. Dunno if he'll be able to or not, and I can't program anything, so I'll stay away from any of the points made here, but I have to say, I use D2X-XL, and if karx can help do a re-write, that'd be really cool.  I have always kind of wondered about the possibility of a complete re-write of the FS2 engine, but it's kinda pointless for me to wonder about such things, as like I said, I'm not a programmer at all.  Whatever happens, thanks for considering it, karx.  And if you do re-write the code I'm going to have something to dream about for the next few years.  :D

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Again, it wouldn't be the first time it was considered, Ferrium was supposed to be a complete _blind_ rewrite of the entire engine.  But he might have the attention span to finish it off. IF he's interested. (Get it?  It's a 'big if')

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
He does.  IF he so chooses.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
What's with the if's?  It's obvious that nobody here is obligated to work on the SCP, or on FreeSpace related projects at all.  Whether or not he chooses to do this is (I'm guessing) based on the enjoyment he'd get out of it.  When you're working for free, enjoyment (in some cases, experience) is the only real driving force.

On an unrelated note: Karx, while he may have more experience and technical ability than the rest of the team, isn't the messiah.  Should he decide not to work with Freespace, there's others of his skill out there.  It's just a matter of fortune to happen upon one.  That doesn't mean, however, that we actually will find another...

I really don't want to offend anybody here, but are any of those who have tinkered with the FS code professional software developers, or at least software engineering students who knew what they did? :wtf:

A "Software Engineering" degree is in no way a guarantee of perfection. Even professionals can "screw up". And you got plenty of examples for that.

p.s.: I would even go as far as saying that "software engineering" is really useless in the industry, even though I was trained as one.
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
dammit I was hopping to have some code talk... :(
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together