Author Topic: Installation Instructions  (Read 5806 times)

Offline est1895

Installation Instructions
Hi. I just download The Babylon Project DVD from one single download.  It was saved as a text file. If this is correct, please tell me what to do to install.  :confused:

Thank you for your time

est1895

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Installation Instructions
as far as i remember you just double click it, if not try 7zip .... inside is a read me and a iso file

let me know how you get on
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Just rename it from .txt to .rar.  Then 7z or Winrar will should open it. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline est1895

double clicking it just asks for the launcher 3.0? :eek2:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Double clicking what?  Did you extract the iso file and burn the DVD or mount it as a virtual disk? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline est1895

what I did was download it, then saved it to dvd, and then tried to open it on another computer from the dvd itself.  When I clicked on the file, the notepad came up.   :confused:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Where exactly did you download it from? (I'm trying to replicate the problem here)

Anyway, try right-clicking the file, then "Open with..." and select your preferred archiver. You should be able to extract everything to some place on your HD, run the installer, and you're set.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline est1895

I downloaded from the link on this website.  And when I thried to 'Open with..' the computer said it was too big :shaking:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait. What?  :wtf:

I have absolutely no clue how THAT could happen. The iso is ~1.85GB in size, waaaay below even FATs file size limit, IIRC.

Which OS are you using?
Which of the (several) download links did you use?

And, most importantly, do you still have the original files you downloaded?

Offline captain-custard

the file you have is an .iso   which has  been compressed  but it has the extension .txt

this was explained earlier

if you google 7zip and download it and install it this will help

right click the file and you should get the 7zip option , then use a folder on your desktop (or anywhere you choose) and extract to that, you will not be able to extract to the dvd....;;

or just copy the file to your desktop....and then 7zip it

but you will need about 5gb of space at least to copy , 7zip and install

Wait. What?  :wtf:

I have absolutely no clue how THAT could happen. The iso is ~1.85GB in size, waaaay below even FATs file size limit, IIRC.

Which OS are you using?
Which of the (several) download links did you use?

And, most importantly, do you still have the original files you downloaded?

i downloaded this one as well ; the extension was changed i think to confirm with the downloads sites rules , but it works
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I saw the .txt download 1 time from download.com.  It tried to open in a webpage since it was .rar.txt instead of just .rar.  That was back when they were having site problems and the whole thing was messed up though.  I'll check and see if it's still happening.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK I checked and it did have a .rar.txt extension instead of just .rar.  I contacted Upload.com and they fixed the problem. 

So just removed the .txt extension from the end so it is just.rar then use either 7Zip or WinRAR to open that and extract the ISO.  If it won't let you do that try the download again.  It's possible it was corrupted in saving as .txt.

Offline est1895

I got the 7zip install and the 7zip option came up on the screen but which option do I choose? The first one says Add to Archive..... and then theres about 5 more. Which one should I choose? And please walk me through it.  :eek2:

7-zip doesn't seem to recognise it yet. Is it still a txt?
Try opening 7-zip first using the start-menu or desctop-icon. Then go (navigate) in it to where the file is saved an open it. That should work even if it still has a wrong ending. Then just extract the iso to wherever you want it (second large icon from the left) and either burn it on dvd or use a program like daemon tools to "pretend" you did.

Offline captain-custard

try  right clicking the tbp thing and then in the options you should have 7zip and then choose extract to tbp

Offline est1895

exactly which file extension?  thiers a rar.txt and a 7z.txt  extensions...As I said, please..walk me through it :nervous:

Offline captain-custard

1. instal 7zip

2. find the tbp file, iso,txt

3.right click

4. look at image attatched

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline est1895

see thats the odd thing...my screen doesn't show anything about extracting...it justs ask how you want it compressed.  Now I am using the TBP dvd1.rar.txt   So its seems if I can get the extraction problem down, then I'm good to go.   :confused:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can you rename that file to dvd1.rar?

Offline captain-custard

Just rename it from .txt to .rar.  Then 7z or Winrar will should open it. 

i thought you had already followed the instuctions earlier in the post... but obviously not.... follow the instructions , rename it then use 7zip