Author Topic: Another bizarre crash!  (Read 1097 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Another bizarre crash!
I am prototyping a fairly large mission in which the player participates in a 'big wing battle' - a brief, ferocious engagement between about 60-70 fighters. There are four capital ships involved, from Steve-O's and Stratcomm's fleet pack.

The mission runs flawlessly (barring FPS issues).

However, if the player dies or presses 'RESTART', upon replay, the mission crashes 11 seconds in, when Gamma wing arrives from a friendly ship's fighterbay.

This is the spew:

Code: [Select]
Error: Can't open model file <>
File: ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1995

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

And the last line of the debug log:

Code: [Select]
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 57.383 (57.383)
Got event GS_EVENT_ENTER_GAME (2) in state GS_STATE_BRIEFING (10)
Entering game at time = 145.316
Int3(): From e:\storage\fso\fs2_open\code\ai\aicode.cpp at line 1486.

I've tried changing the shiptype and wing size of Gamma wing, to no effect, but there's certainly plenty more I can tinker with to narrow things down.

However, removing Gamma wing entirely (setting arrival cue to 'false') prevents the crash. Bizarrely, if Gamma wing is in-mission on the first playthrough (arrival setting is simply 'true'), they vanish from the mission on replays.

Why would the mission run fine the first time around, but crash the second? Why does Gamma go AWOL? MYSTERIOUS.

I am using 3.6.10 RC2.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:34:23 pm by General Battuta »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Another bizarre crash!
Now this is interesting.  Looks like it has to do with huge secondary weapons hitting a limit.  Try changing/removing the secondaries to something else and see what happens.

I remember a retail multiplayer issue like this but it's been so long I can't remember the details. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras