Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 9425 times)

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
I hate My signature!

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Never thought i would get this so excited over a game but its happened! I am so so so so so looking forward to 2010 for the PC release. Mass effect 2 just looks amazing and i am so glad there going for a much darker setting and what about the normandy from that trailer it looks like it might need a bit of a service  :nervous:

So a huge thumbs up from me, just waiting on Starcraft 2 now, got a feeling ME2 will be out before SC2.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

I really hope ME2 doesn't have that atrocious SecuROM DRM, but knowing EA it will.  That's the only thing stopping me from buying ME1.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
luckily, EA is giving up on that **** slowly. Sims3 won't have it (which will be EA's money print machine for the next 3 years).
All games have Deactivation Utils now (although "scanning" your PC for installed games, well  :ick:).

Seriously, MassEffect 1 was wonderful, so cinematic. Just like WC3.
And now look at this! WHOA!!!
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
but will it have the sex?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
it will. All Bioware games have.
But I really pity you if that's the first thing you think when you hear MassEffect.  :lol:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I never played Mass Effect, that's all I know about it.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
it will. All Bioware games have.
But I really pity you if that's the first thing you think when you hear MassEffect.  :lol:
Actually, it's pretty low on the list of things you think about when you've actually played the game. Unless you're ****ing 12, of course.

I read somewhere that one should keep his savegames, for the decisions made in Mass Effect 1 will affect Mass Effect 2 (Ala Baldur's Gate, but better, hopefully. I think saving the Rachni will probably have some effect :) ).

As for the game itself, I do hope that they make it easier to command your teammates, as doeing it from a third person perspective seems to suck hard in this way (Shame on them! They've got enough experience to get that right from the first game, like using a top-down perspective to give orders, Ala Hidden and Dangerous), and the complete boringness of the sidequests, which used the same areas every time...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:21:25 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Awesome. I've been playing through the first one, it's spectacularly fun. Can't wait for this.

Meh.  Mass Effect, while not a bad game, was only slightly above average - and the really bad parts, the sidequests and the god awful inventory system - were both things that Bioware should have damn well known how to do better.  The dialogue itself was pretty good, but the conversation system was oversimplified.

I'll pay attention when I start seeing signs that they're addressing the real problems. 

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Damn, where do you place the "average" bar?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It did have a lot of problems with its gameplay, but I would still put it well above average. I hope they address those issues in the sequel.

Damn, where do you place the "average" bar?

The game closest to the Bar is Oblivion.

Mass effect had a lot of good points, but it also had a lot of downsides, and most of the things it does, other games have done better in the past.  The dialogue has great presentation but is simplified even beyond KotOR, which was pretty simplified compared to the Fallouts/Baldur's Gates/Torment.  The combat is interesting, but the number of spells and special abilities is pretty small compared to KotoR and the AD&D games.  Lots of weapons, but they've got little variety beyond statistical shades of the 4 base weapons.  A god awful interface, party members who function more like options from gradius then actual teammates, and side quests straight out of rogue.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The game closest to the Bar is Oblivion.

The game closest to the [Average] Bar is Oblivion.   :confused:
Brackets added to clarify what I was talking about, and to ask if that's what you actually meant.

Surely you don't really mean that Oblivion is the closest to the most average game?

That's exactly what I mean - if you were to stack up games from top to bottom, with bad games at the bottom and good games at the top, then put up a bar that indicates average, that bar would be on the level of oblivion.

----Good games
----games
----games
----Oblivion     ----------------AVERAGE BAR
----games
----games
----games
----games
----bad games

I would rate Oblivion above ME because Oblivion has something ME doesn't.  Mods.  You have complaints with Oblivion's gameplay?  There are more than a few that change it, in addition to mods doing other things.  How many mods does ME have, period?  I'm fairly certain its pretty damn low.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Problem is, they don't help all that much.  Oblivion is where it is in my stack taking into account mods that pull some of Bethesda's most inane decisions upward to the level of average, kicking and screaming.  If I were to discount mods, it would be much, much lower.  But the modders still would have to make an entire game's worth of content to create, at a reasonably professional level, and they'd have to do it without requiring me to sort through 8,000 "OHHH CLOUD STRIFE'S SWORD" and "NAKED MOD! LOL!"s to get there.

They haven't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Eh, maybe I'm just unable to come to grips with the fact that you seem to rate games about as harshly as Yahtzee would.  Do you just not like RPGs?

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
both oblivion and mass effect are eccelent game in my eyes, cuz the story in them rocks.
I hate My signature!