Author Topic: Texture corruption under Windows 7 RC  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Texture corruption under Windows 7 RC
Ever since I replaced Windows Vista x64 with Windows 7 RC x64 I've experienced texture corruption in-game. The problem does not occur in other D3D or OGL games I have tried. Below you can see screenshots of the problem, in the first one notice Orion's corrupted textures on left. The fighter in both screenshots is Kulas from Blue Planet. I've tried Catalyst 9.4's and 9.5's and video card is Radeon 4870. FS2_Open build is 3.6.10 RC2 and debug build loads without complaints.

Aside from the ones seen in the screenshots, problems also include missing or off-positioned weapons models in loadout screen, garbled briefing icons, missing target models in lower left target HUD and corrupted backgrounds which tend to envelope everything making the game pretty much unplayable.

I have checked mediavp and blue planet vp md5 checksums, they are ok. I've included DXDiag.txt since it may reveal useful information although fs2_open does not use any DX components. I haven't seen anyone else around complaining about corrupted textures in Win7 betas or RC, I wonder if I'm alone with this odd problem.

Edit: Texture corruption occurs even if I use "Default FS2" settings in the launcher, which turns off all the new stuff.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:04:46 pm by Fury »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: Texture corruption under Windows 7 RC
That looks like what happened with my old card, although that was due to the fact that the GPU overheated and fried. And it was old. Perhaps that's the issue here? Fried GPU?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Davin

Knew someone who had a problem like this running windows XP, but his computer played every other game fine. It'd  be nice if some solution could be found (although since he's a few hours away we might not be able to help him) The only thing we could really do was set the game to playing with the original .exe and I can't say that solved the problem at all it just allowed him to play it.

I get horrible flicker with Win 7 on my system.  Using compatibiliy mode solves it.

Also if I have aero disabled (running max 7) not only the PCS2 render window is grey, but FRED's window is also grey.  More like a driver issue.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That looks like what happened with my old card, although that was due to the fact that the GPU overheated and fried. And it was old. Perhaps that's the issue here? Fried GPU?
I can play SupCom Forged Alliance five hours straight with no issues at all. So it is not a hardware problem. Besides, fs2_open began acting up as soon as OS was changed and is only game affected so far.

Have to try compatibility mode and disabling Aero.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:56:37 pm by Fury »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
That's not texture corruption in those screens - that's geometry corruption of some kind. Are those errors are static and unchanging or do they spaz out or otherwise change over time?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Corruption happens usually as soon as a ship or weapon model appears in-game, during the ship's life time corruption does not change much in appearance, if any. But there has been several cases where a ship was a large thick mass (many times larger than original model) of spiky extrudes behaving oddly but lasting only a moment after which the ship returned to normal. Then there are cases where corruption seems to affect background bitmaps, causing corruption to envolope whatever is in front of the corrupted background.

It seems that scale of corruption differs from one mission to another. In some missions corruption is very visible in weapons and ship models as well as occasional backgrounds. In some missions corruption is subtle, perhaps only affecting bombs. In some missions there may not be any visible corruption or it was too subtle to notice.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Not that it really needs saying, but WOW that is bizzare.

Well I think the common MVP corruption can be ruled out, as there's no way the model files themselves could be providing the game with the normal version AND a corrupted version at the same time.

At this point I'd have to guess it's something about the ATI drivers interacting with windows 7. There's this thread from a few months back that sounds a bit similar.

Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Clear out the cache in /data/cache and /mediavps/data/cache. Delete the /cache folders wherever you encounter them.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Even weirder, this corruption occurs in fred2_open too.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Like I said, it could be cache. Or ATi drivers.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I had something like that on my old computer with Windows ME ,it happened always when HTL was enabled in FRED and when Open GL VBO was on.
Disabling it used to solve the problem.
Now I have WinXP OS and no such problems appears.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I cannot be 100% sure yet, but it would seem like disabling desktop composition in fs2_open_3_6_10_RC2.exe compatibility tab solves the problem.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:23:11 am by Fury »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
3.6.10 RC3 solved the problem as well.

Now, if only fs2_open alt-tab would work properly on Win7. Upon resuming game, taskbar is visible. Either have to run fs2_open in windowed mode or autohide taskbar.

Offline Aramil

• Can you smell fear?
Sorry to say but on my win7 machine it works perfectly, even alt-tab works.

on 3.6.10 with latest MVP's

(Nvidia card)
"Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most."