Author Topic: Large Space Sims?  (Read 5767 times)

So i know there was mention of a campaign being built in FSO that would allow for the piloting of capital class ships, but are there any GOOD games out there that revolve around using Big Ships i.e. Cruisers, Destroyers, instead of fighters? An example of this would be one of the star trek Legacy, which was fun but was lacking the detail that i strive for in my games.

There's this Star Trek bridge commander game I checked out the other day that seems to use the concept really well.

Here it is at gamespot
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The definitive game of this type is Starfleet Command/Starfleet Command 2.

It makes Bridge Commander look somewhat juvenile.

hm, i see. Ill have to do some research, but i'm definitly going to try these out. Are there any original ones that arent based off of Star Trek? Nothing against them of course.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Probably no other FlightSims but Terminus and to a degree I-War.
Most games in the genre focus on fighter dogfights.

Nexus: Jupiter Inccident is a Tactical Capship Simulator and a insiders' tip (sleeper hit is a bit ironic since the game was a colossal flop). Homeworld 2 is a classic too.

EDIT: Misunderstood the post. You want to command caps.
BUY NEXUS RIGHT AWAY! NOW! BUY IT! YOU WANT IT!!!
You can usually find new and sealed copies on ebay and amazon.

Starfleet Command isn't what you want, those games are more RTS like.
You want to be in command of one vessel (or a small fleet later on), out-smarting enemies, flanking them, overpower great numbers with brilliant tactics.
BUY NEXUS!!!

BridgeCommander is awesome too in that regard but it's StarTrek of course.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:57:40 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Nexus is OK...it's mind-bogglingly slow paced though, and can end up being extremely boring. And it's not really balanced at all.

Case in point of the slow nature of it - I once had to restart a mission because I was unable to complete it. Why? Well, it was two ships vs. one, I had a light cruiser or frigate and my main ship, which is kind of like a heavy cruiser - the enemy had a really weak ship, something like a destroyer. So the enemy was circling my main ship, while my cruiser was firing at it - except the cruiser's weapons did so little damage and fired so slowly that it would drain the enemy shields, and by the time the weapons fired again, they had restored just enough energy to deflect the shot. Meanwhile, my other ship was spinning around it's axis trying to bring it's weapons to bare, but was rotating so slowly that it couldn't turn fast enough to actually fire. I tried everything for about 10 minutes until I finally gave up and restarted the mission from the beginning.

It is fun and interesting to play, and it's a pretty novel idea; just don't go into it expecting an action packed thrillride.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I avoided equipping my ships with heavy weapons because of their slow rate of fire. Normal variants did more damage over time because misses didn't have such an impact and more frequent hits to shields drained them faster. Once I realized that, even small ships weren't a problem.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you have lot of time ,patience and business know-how you can try X series (X3 Terran Conflict is most recent one).
It takes a plenty of time to buy and equip a capital ship ,but it can be real fun when you get your hands on it.
(I tried commanding a cap on one of my father's saved games ,he plays X3 ,I not)
Of course you need to have lot of patience (more than me anyway ,I never got beyond Centaur in X2 and it was captured ,not bought) to gather enough money to buy and manage a Battleship ,that's why I'm attempting to bring capship flying into FS2.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Probably no other FlightSims but Terminus and to a degree I-War.
Most games in the genre focus on fighter dogfights.

Nexus: Jupiter Inccident is a Tactical Capship Simulator and a insiders' tip (sleeper hit is a bit ironic since the game was a colossal flop). Homeworld 2 is a classic too.

EDIT: Misunderstood the post. You want to command caps.
BUY NEXUS RIGHT AWAY! NOW! BUY IT! YOU WANT IT!!!
You can usually find new and sealed copies on ebay and amazon.

Starfleet Command isn't what you want, those games are more RTS like.
You want to be in command of one vessel (or a small fleet later on), out-smarting enemies, flanking them, overpower great numbers with brilliant tactics.
BUY NEXUS!!!

BridgeCommander is awesome too in that regard but it's StarTrek of course.

I should've thought of that one - Nexus is definitely the kind of thing you're after.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I'd call Tachyon medium scale, because while your actions do play a major role
in the end result and you're doing jobs from people all over different zones...
you're only in the perspective on a single person.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Battlecruiser 3000AD!!!! :D
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
*hand cradles hilt of lock-hammer, eyes darting back and forth*

They'll be no flames in this thread...

Right...I shouldn't tempt fate. :blah:

*  cough
Forget I said anything... :nervous:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Ok, Nexus looks good too, But what i'm looking for is something like Freespace, except with larger ships.

So far, on my List i've got

Nexus:The Jupiter Incident
Star Trek: Bridge Commander
X3

that's why I'm attempting to bring capship flying into FS2.

Keep at it good sir. As soon as it comes out, i will be one of the first to try it.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Why?  What makes piloting a capship more fun than blowing sh*t up with it?  If you try to pilot it, you don't get to use all the pretty guns on it.  Well, not with any game I can think of, anyway.

BUY NEXUS!!

The only slow parts of the game are the very beginning, and about five(six?) missions in.  Then you get guns that puncture shields like needles with balloons :drevil:.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I actually liked the beginning of Nexus most. Unshielded non-sleek cap ships are just cooler than sleek and shielded ships. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What about Starfleet Command and I-War? I-War was capital-ship-centric, right?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well.. I-War was 'corvette centric'. Pretty much like heavily armed, armored and shielded dogfighter.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Why?  What makes piloting a capship more fun than blowing sh*t up with it?  If you try to pilot it, you don't get to use all the pretty guns on it.  Well, not with any game I can think of, anyway.

BUY NEXUS!!

The only slow parts of the game are the very beginning, and about five(six?) missions in.  Then you get guns that puncture shields like needles with balloons :drevil:.

lol well the idea is that i can pilot ships AND blow **** up with it! :D But if there aren't any out there, then that makes me a sad panda... I think i might've tried the X series a while back, but then i found FS2...  :nod:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Frontier.

Screw capships, I'm taking out a bulk cruiser to fight pirates in. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]