Author Topic: Putting together a team for a space racing game  (Read 778 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Putting together a team for a space racing game
(Copied from my post at ModDB)

Hello everyone. So here's my conundrum - I am a 2D/3D artist and game designer, yet have absolutely zero coding skill. That's not to say I don't know how games work or anything, I just simply can not code  to save my life.

So, with that out of the way, here's the deal - and I actually suggested this once many years ago, started a mini mod, and didn't really get around to being able to start it (mostly because of lack of skill and understanding). Well I have a summer and much more knowledge now, and I'd like to start it again.

Basically, the idea is a space race game - you go fast, try to beat the other person through a series of rings floating in space. Simple, easy, quick to prototype. The idea may be further expanded to include some ground-based levels, but the basic idea is a ring racer. So how is it hard? Well beyond the obvious possibility of adding weaponry, I really want to put in some more complex level ideas; stuff that's a bit more than "cool background with zippy ships". Some of the gates may require you to enter them at certain angles, or other gates are inside derelict ships, requiring you to dodge and weave through spars and beams. Other rings are inside asteroid fields, or near a sun. Basically, a living environment where not getting pulverized is half the prize.

Ah, you say, but what can this bloke do? Is he just another person asking everyone else to make his "dream" come true? No. I will work and do my fair share. If this turns out to be fun, I would like it to go commercial, and if you're a fun person to work with, it'd be great to have you on board.

Here's the way this would work;

1) I do art. All of the art, unless someone else wants to hop onboard for that (while I don't need it, any offer to help is nice and appreciated though :) ).

2) The coder, whoever that may be, gets us an engine - I'd prefer something open like OGRE, if this does go commercial (which, make no mistake, is my ultimate goal).

3) I get you two ships, one bad, one good, an environment, with rings. Within a few months, you put together a rough prototype, where we test gameplay mechanics. Using iterative versions, stuff is added and sliced away until a prototype is ready, preferably by the end of summer. The prototype is refined aesthetically.

4) Prototype is released as a beta, we get feedback. Further iteration, further refinement, until we have the gameplay down pat. All the while, we may or may not be adding stuff. Once the initial core is done, we make it into a real game. If it's good enough, we go commercial.

Sound simple? It is, really. I swear - if you commit, I commit. What are my crededentials? Ok, I'm not from the industry, unfortunately. I worked as the gameplay designer on Beyond the Red Line, and I do modeling for Angels Fall First: Planetstorm. I do small for-pay freelance jobs wherever I find them for game developers. I have included some examples of my work below.

(These two were for meant to be very low poly with smallish textures)

Texturing WIP

If you're interested, please reply here with some sort of contact info (or PM it if you don't want to put it out in public) and I'll get back to you.

Finally; why am I taking this so seriously? Because I want you to. I want to develope and release a game, and I want to do it quickly. I don't want a dev time of 5 years with a barely passable result. I want a professional, polished product that if it can't look the best, then it can at least look good and consistant. So if you take this post seriously and really are interested, let me know.

Cheers.