Author Topic: About R1 Shattered Armistace... who's gona get on multiplayer?  (Read 14095 times)

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
About R1 Shattered Armistace... who's gona get on multiplayer?
FS2 was a great game. Too bad even though over several million downloads and players worldwide, WHY IS THERE NO ONE ON MULTIPLAYER, EVER?  :mad:

So I'm afraid the same may happen to R1... I really wanna play some co-op mishs... and some beat each other up scenarios (especially defend the capship, can't wait!!  :hopping:)...

So... reply if you intend to be active (4hrs or more a week, 3 times or more) on multiplayer.

Also, a rank progression thing for MP will be great but probably far far away due to technological limitations. Idea is get points to buy ships...

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: About R1 Shattered Armistace... who's gona get on multiplayer?
FS2 was a great game. Too bad even though over several million downloads and players worldwide, WHY IS THERE NO ONE ON MULTIPLAYER, EVER?

just a general note about multiplayer...... and after looking at your stats ....

1. post in the multiplayer forum...
2.  go to irc
3.  shout from the hillsides

there are multiplayer games , even ones at very strange hours

so ...... while your waiting for diaspora to come out .... get some practice in
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Also, a rank progression thing for MP will be great but probably far far away due to technological limitations. Idea is get points to buy ships...

Doable in multiplayer coop campaigns. Not even particularly hard actually. The only problem is that currently the ships would go into a pool which would be usable by everyone on that team rather than just the player who earned them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

Doable in multiplayer coop campaigns. Not even particularly hard actually. The only problem is that currently the ships would go into a pool which would be usable by everyone on that team rather than just the player who earned them.
cool. did not know that...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The feature was only added to trunk last month. Although it's been lurking in HEAD and my branch for over 2 years now. :p

Offline Jangiri

i'm all in for coop. i'm not the best pilot but up for pwning some toasters

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Just check IRC, and check out my new thread tomorrow in the multi forum, it should answer some questions.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline IronForge

EXCELLENT!!!

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
There was a decent MP community for BtRL, and considering it was only a demo, and that it sparked over half a dozen clans shows there is interest.

I'm expecting Diaspora will cause a sudden birth of the MP community spawning clans, leagues, forums etc.

BSGpilots.com will of course try to bring all BSG MP gaming under one roof, as was our original mission, and to promote MP match-making, events etc.

I for sure will try to get in at least a couple hours a week of flight time :)

Cant wait to fly around a Battlestar in a Raptor ;)

Adalla

Offline IronForge

You know what will be REALLY great?
If we could pilot battlestars and go ram each other. Defend the capship while killing the other, but YOU CONTROL THE CAPSHIP!!! Also throw in 50 npc fighters from each capship... FUN!!!

Offline Fish

• Nugget
You know what would also be great? Free cake. But - like your idea - Diaspora is not the vehicle to provide such a feature. Try elsewhere :)
<><

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You know what would also be great? Free cake. But - like your idea - Diaspora is not the vehicle to provide such a feature. Try elsewhere :)

Free cake? Pfft.  You only get cake and grief counsellings after you complete all the test chambers.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline IronForge

LOL just a suggestion.
I mean suggestions for capship control arn't looked upon kindly here and I feel thats unfair, I'm not demanding it, just suggesting that many players want it and IF it can be done that's great. If not, we arn't going to cry foul.
Maybe in a year or two or three... but would be nice to one day have that feature.

And being able to control capships for now (via commands, ordering them around) will be great.
Maybe you in your souped up command raptor ordering an entire fleet to war.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's not that capship control isn't looked kindly upon, it's just that it is very hard to pull off satisfyingly using FSO.
Ordering them around, on the other hand, that can be done.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Capship control can be done in the Freespace engine. It just pretty much sucks, and it's not really any fun, since you can't fire any weapons.

Ordering capships around...can be done. Technically. It's also generally a bad idea, however. Capships are usually handled with waypoints, not attack orders.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Maybe a crossover of the RTS project and DS? Talk to Nuke and Aardwolf.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And if we started adding stuff just cause people would like it, we'd probably feature creep Shattered Armistice's release to 5 years from now and Derek Smart the result too. :p

No, we're not doing capship control for any foreseeable release. Maybe Nuke and Aardwolf can pull off a working system but I'm not foolish enough to add that to our list of ideas until they've proved the concept works as a game and is as much fun as the way we're handling things now. I'm definitely not stupid enough to try and get something that far in beta into multiplayer either.

Lastly, the reason why we're not doing capship control is explained in the FAQ anyway.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
It just pretty much sucks, and it's not really any fun, since you can't fire any weapons.
Very much so in single player campaign, but there would be a lot of fun potential in multiplayer setting, even with limited functionality.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Oh I'm not suggesting it be a feature, I was just hinting openly.

How many projected missions in R1, and how long? I assume that the length of individual missions will be shorter due to the combat style.

Offline IronForge

Will there be ANY capship missions in R1 multiplayer then?

You know... defend the capship, nuke the capship, all of you against an NPC fleet...