Author Topic: Project Natal  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Anyone know anything at all about this that hasn't been in all the articles? It looks pretty spiffy, if they can make it work. Sure, on the surface it's not much more than one upping the Wii and Eyetoy, but still, if it can be made to work the potential is massive, especially in certain genres (fighting games being the most obvious, but also sports and unconventional stuff like little big planet and party games and the like). Plus it's supposed to be made to work on the 360, so no need to buy new hardware (well, for the XBoxers out there - I'm Wii and PS3 atm myself).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Project Christmas?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Add on hardware that's not named Guitar Hero tends to do very poorly.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Complete bull**** from start to finish.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
They just took bull**** and spelled it "Natal".
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Actually, according to some journalists who got some hands-on time, it seems to work.

Offline mxlm

I'm sure there's a demographic who are interested in having a young child dwell in their X-Box. I'd prefer not to think about those people.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I predict post-natal depression!

:nervous:

:D
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm sure there's a demographic who are interested in having a young child dwell in their X-Box. I'd prefer not to think about those people.
*Shudders*

Sometimes I don't have an issue, but I really, really, have no restraint against hitting small, annoying children.

Offline SPARTAN-367

• Olly olly oxen free
    • SPARTAN-367 (PAT)
Technology wise, if we don't make mistakes and push the technology forward... nothing new or cool will ever come out.

For playing sport games and talking to kids on the tv...  :wtf: seriously... I'd rather meet and talk to people in the real world more than anything. As for playing sports.. on a tv... that just sucks that is why i'm at the park all alone Saturday mornings with my gymnastics rings having fun while all the kids are inside playing their sport video games.

No offense to those. :cool:
- SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.

"TROOPERS we are GREEN, and very very MEAN!"

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I don't think I'd bother freezing alone at the park on a Saturday anyway :P

Offline SPARTAN-367

• Olly olly oxen free
    • SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Are you in Australia? shouldn't be that bad? well I've never been so I have no clue..  :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:53:52 am by SPARTAN-367 »
- SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.

"TROOPERS we are GREEN, and very very MEAN!"

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Yeah, but he doesn't get snow.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
it's crap.

They promised so much. Most of what you saw was scripted or fakes (Milo was played by a puppeteer for example, FACT) and the thing just won't properly work for real games in the near future. The promo video is just nuts, especially considering the live on stage demo (the only non scripted thing) was a rudimentary painting tool which wasn't too exact by the way  :)
And voice recognition is a gimmick anyway. YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TALK TO YOUR GAME.
Tom Clancy's End War is all that will ever be possible in that regard.

Ironic, that Sony showed their own motion controller, live, non-scripted, just showing everything that MS just promised. The Sony one will deliver. And, it's a controller after all, which will always be superior to every gesture system MS can come up with.
It will be a huge failure money-vise, since the Wii already rules the market but the thing will deliver.
You saw that Sword part? Tipping it on the skeleton's head and then knocking it over?

The Sony one could rock.
MS, while maybe more innoative, won't.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

I'd want to see a proper demo of both before making any hard claims on which would be better.

The eyetoy one, in particular, I want to see in something that's not a tightly controlled background.  Show me it working properly in something relatively akin to a living room, and not a darkened stage and spotlights, and I'll be more interested.

Even then though, it will end up being about software, and that's where Microsoft does best.  Say what you want about them, but their dev tools are some of the best available.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Are you in Australia? shouldn't be that bad? well I've never been so I have no clue..  :D
Yeah, but it's winter here.

It's microsoft. WinXP was one in a million. Nothing of theirs is good, because they're a bunch of politician-esque dip****s.

Apologies to anyone that works there. You know who I mean. (Every higher up who is no bill gates. Like they would be here...)
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
If Microsoft would listen to actual people instead of boards and committees of supposed expert market analysts, then they may become viable again. Until that day comes, screw it. I'm sticking with XP.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Those boards and committees are in fact composed of people, you know.

Yeah, but they're people who have no idea what the hell they are talking about.  They aren't really people who do much with their computers.  If MS listened to its IT guys who have to play around with Windows to set up their networks, then they might accomplish something besides churning out crap operating systems.  MS has the same problems as the gaming industry.  They don't listen to the people who have to use their products.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems