Author Topic: fonttool.exe  (Read 18738 times)

Has anyone a windows binary of this one that actually works?

The only one I found as a link in these forums crashes right after direct3d initialization when trying to edit kerning data.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Did anyone successfully compile fonttool and get it working? Starting it up into the kerning editor works, but the program does not respond to my keyboard!

I'm using this one here: http://fs2source.warpcore.org/fonttool.exe
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you can get it from red faction modder circles, but im not sure if its reverse compatable with fs (or if fs is forward compatable).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
you can get it from red faction modder circles, but im not sure if its reverse compatable with fs (or if fs is forward compatable).

That would be fonttool2.  I've tried using fonts that have been made with fonttool2, but they don't work with FS.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Did anyone successfully compile fonttool and get it working? Starting it up into the kerning editor works, but the program does not respond to my keyboard!
I tried, and I got the same problem.  I ended up having to force-quit out of it.

The source code to fonttool is in the original source code release if you want to try messing around with it.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Update: I tried editing a font that was created in the original fonttool with fonttool2 and saved it.

Usually if you make a font with fonttool2 and try to make FSO use it, the game will say "malloc failed!"

This time, it just crashed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Do you have a debug log?

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
This is the debug log I get when I make FSO use a font made with the original fonttool and edited in fonttool2:
Code: [Select]
==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace version: 3.6.11.1111
Passed cmdline options:
  -spec_exp 7.0
  -fov 0.65
  -spec_static 3.0
  -spec_point 8.6
  -spec_tube 5.0
  -ambient_factor 130
  -mipmap
  -missile_lighting
  -glow
  -spec
  -normal
  -3dshockwave
  -post_process
  -cache_bitmaps
  -ballistic_gauge
  -dualscanlines
  -rearm_timer
  -targetinfo
  -3dwarp
  -ship_choice_3d
  -weapon_choice_3d
  -warp_flash
  -snd_preload
  -mod pprocess,Landreich
  -wcsaga
Building file index...
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_anims.vp' with a checksum of 0x20ede0b2
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_core.vp' with a checksum of 0x2c725bc9
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb0272d7b
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_hud.vp' with a checksum of 0x0a624b02
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_interface.vp' with a checksum of 0x17c4567c
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_music.vp' with a checksum of 0x244979b7
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_ships.vp' with a checksum of 0x4248ea63
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_sounds.vp' with a checksum of 0xda87e6ba
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_voice.vp' with a checksum of 0x3066cebf
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wc3_demo.vp' with a checksum of 0xd5a282a0
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wc4_campaign_0.23.vp' with a checksum of 0x16c4e490
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wc4_core_0.23.vp' with a checksum of 0x331bb657
Searching root 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\pprocess\' ... 40 files
Searching root 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\Landreich\' ... 1020 files
Searching root 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\' ... 84 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_anims.vp' ... 3 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_core.vp' ... 60 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_effects.vp' ... 245 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_hud.vp' ... 205 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_interface.vp' ... 1313 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_music.vp' ... 37 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_ships.vp' ... 1167 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_sounds.vp' ... 157 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\prologue_voice.vp' ... 685 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wc3_demo.vp' ... 62 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wc4_campaign_0.23.vp' ... 183 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Program Files\Games\Wing Commander Saga Prologue\wc4_core_0.23.vp' ... 340 files
Found 15 roots and 5601 files.
Setting language to English
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'difficulty-lcl.tbm' ...
Initializing OpenAL...
  Using 'Generic Software' as OpenAL sound device...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : Software
  OpenAL Version    : 1.1

... OpenAL successfully initialized!
Failed to init speech
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1280x1024 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing WGL...
  Requested WGL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 32, double-buffer: 1
  Actual WGL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 32, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor     : NVIDIA Corporation
  OpenGL Renderer   : GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2
  OpenGL Version    : 3.1.0

Using extension "GL_EXT_fog_coord".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_multitexture".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_env_add".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_compression".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_env_combine".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_draw_range_elements".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object".
  Using extension "GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_framebuffer_object".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_rectangle".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_bgra".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_texture_cube_map".
  Using extension "GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_point_sprite".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_shading_language_100".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_shader_objects".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_vertex_shader".
  Using extension "GL_ARB_fragment_shader".
  Using extension "GL_NV_vertex_program3".
  Found special extension function "wglSwapIntervalEXT".

Initializing Shaders Manager...
Loading and compiling main shaders...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (null-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (null-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (b-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (b-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (b-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (bg-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lb-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbg-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbgs-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbs-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbgn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbgsn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lbsn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lf-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfb-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lf-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbg-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lf-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbgs-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lf-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbs-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lfn-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbgn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lfn-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbgsn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lfn-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (lfn-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lfbsn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (null-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lg-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lgs-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (l-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (ls-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lgn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lgsn-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (ln-f.sdr) ...
  Compiling main shader ->  main-v.sdr (ln-v.sdr) / main-f.sdr (lsn-f.sdr) ...
Shaders Manager initialized.

Max texture units: 4 (32)
  Max elements vertices: 1048576
  Max elements indices: 1048576
  Max texture size: 8192x8192
  Can use compressed textures: YES
  Texture compression available: YES
  Using trilinear texture filter.
  Using GLSL for model rendering.
  Shader Version: 1.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
... OpenGL init is complete!
Size of bitmap info = 760 KB
Size of bitmap extra info = 52 bytes
ANI cursorweb with size 24x24 (25.0% wasted)
GRAPHICS: Initializing default colors...
SCRIPTING: Beginning initialization sequence...
SCRIPTING: Beginning Lua initialization...
LUA: Opening LUA state...
LUA: Initializing base Lua libraries...
LUA: Beginning ADE initialization
ADE: Initializing enumeration constants...
ADE: Assigning Lua session...
SCRIPTING: Beginning main hook parse sequence....
Wokka!  Error opening file (scripting.tbl)!
TABLES: Unable to parse 'scripting.tbl'!  Error code = 5.
SCRIPTING: Inititialization complete.

I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Error (invalid allocation size) if I try to use a font made with fonttool2 on a debug build and a "Malloc failed!" on a release build.  The debug log is the same.

Again, did anyone have any luck compiling fonttool from the icculus repo or the original source code release?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:49:18 pm by Talon 1024 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Again, did anyone have any luck compiling fonttool from the icculus repo or the original source code release?
The icculus.org version should still work under Linux at least (one of the first things that I worked on), but I don't think that it works under Windows.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
fonttool.exe?  What is this, I don't even?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's the tool used to generate fonts in formats that the FS2 engine can use.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
The icculus.org version should still work under Linux at least (one of the first things that I worked on), but I don't think that it works under Windows.
I was able to compile the Linux version, but I can't get it to load the background bitmap.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I was able to compile the Linux version, but I can't get it to load the background bitmap.
Copy the attached file to Data/Interface/, uncompress it, and that should fix the problem.  The icculus.org version is case sensitive on those path names too, so be sure that the first letter is uppercase.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
Thanks, taylor.  I copied fonttool.pcx from src/fonttool/ into Data/Interface/ and it works.

If someone gets this to work under windows can he or she send me the binary and instructions on how to get it to work? would be helpful thanks :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://www.fs2downloads.com/Misc-Downloads/Fonttool.7z

That one worked a couple of years ago. No idea if it still does.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
http://www.fs2downloads.com/Misc-Downloads/Fonttool.7z

That one worked a couple of years ago. No idea if it still does.
Unfortunately, this one also doesn't respond to the keyboard.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Unfortunately, this one also doesn't respond to the keyboard.
Yeah, that was a bug in the original code, it didn't poll for input updates.  It was one of 2 or 3 non-Linux-specific things I fixed in the icculus.org code.

Doesn't work for me at all. Whenever I get the chance to look at the Debug Spew before it screws up the screen, then closes down, it keeps complaining about not being able to handle some monochrome driver or something.

Doesn't work.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think WCS is the first mod to ever try to run fonttool under Windows.  Very few people have even looked at the fonttool source code since Volition released it.

If you manage to get it working, I'm sure many other mods would appreciate it too. :)