Author Topic: TIE Fighter in game shots  (Read 5503 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
TIE Fighter in game shots
This time it only took 3 people to get the TIE Fighter model in game as opposed to 4 for the X-wing, we're getting more efficient :)

This was my first attempt at converting the shine and normal maps though, so they could likely be improved upon.  I tried setting up the lighting differently, not sure what's going to work well for our style.  Ideally the ambient lighting would have a blue filter similar to the way the OT was filmed, so I tried to adjust accordingly.  Btw, anyone know where that planet is from?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Re: TIE Fighter in game shots
Yay, thats two of my models in game now!
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Those pics are amazing. I appreciate your efforts, guys... :D

Btw, anyone know where that planet is from?

FreeSpace 2?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline aRaven

umm...blue filter? they weren't filmed with a blue filter, the TESB 2004 version is ****ed up the the post blue filter process, the original TESB was never blue...it is being corrected by Adywans Revisit.

Still, the TIEs are nice. They remind me of the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter covers.

Offline Konnayr

The renders where already fantastic - but to see that the model's beauty translates that well into the FSOpen Engine leaves me speechless. Great Work, guys. Keep it up!  :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The original I thought had a blue filter, keeping the blue level down, and then the blue was added in for the 2004 version, and then Adywan's re-removed the blue from it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
looking good, you guys are making great models  :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
If there was any filter present in the original filming, it's very subtle--the vast majority of the blueness in the original trilogy is due to the transfer job done by the company Lucas hired for the 2004 DVD version (needless to say, it wasn't ILM).  Attached here for our edumacation are grabs from ESB and ROTJ from the GL Original Unaltered Trilogy version that was included as a bonus with the 2004 release alongside the blueified 2004 even specialer edition.  These disks came in the very same package--just took them earlier today.  As I understand it, Adywan's color correction work is done in order to get the best of both worlds: proper original colors with the nicer detail of the cleaned up 2004 transfer.  I find the blue pretty objectionable myself, though I can see how some people would like it as being atmospheric in certain scenes or just generally in an old timey "silver screen" sort of way.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mmm, TIEs...

I don't think I've ever bothered putting in the main disks from those individual 2004 releases.  I purchased them solely for the "extra" original theatrical versions. :p

Offline Narvi

Nyaaaaaaaaaooooo....

The worst part about the new DVD's is Vader's pink lightsaber. Pink. Come on!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Crikey, stop complaining bout the bluified version already people. This is like the 4th thread I've seen here where that has become/is becoming the main topic. Appreciate both the blue and gray in-game eyeballs, and complain about the George-Lucasified DVDs elsewhere. :p

This time it only took 3 people to get the TIE Fighter model in game as opposed to 4 for the X-wing, we're getting more efficient :)
lol, what are you guys doing in this process? :p Do they have debris and lods yet?

Great progress though - looks gorgeous, and well done to whoever's learning to do the converting.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
VA, so far we don't have the LODs or debris yet.  Brand has given us access to his LOD0 fighter meshes, jacek has figured out the Collada conversion process for them and I've been trying to figure out the tricks to converting the maps with a little help from HT.

Sorry I wasn't complaining about any blue version, I was just talking about how I was trying to set up the lighting (in general really) for the missions so it more accurately represents what we see in the OT, pre-2004 version.  I suppose it could be done in another thread though.

Offline rhettro

The renders where already fantastic - but to see that the model's beauty translates that well into the FSOpen Engine leaves me speechless. Great Work, guys. Keep it up!  :)

I concur, great work. :)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, we've got both TIEs, I chose to model the blue one after the scenes in ESB, and I've done my best to colour correct them to direct screenshots.  All in all though, I love the slight blue filter.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hrmm... Wouldn't the blue filter be better done through lighting settings (like ambient lighting) rather than through textures?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Which is why when I picked the colour for the ESB version, I matched it with the texture given blue ambient lighting, rather than just matched the texture as it is.  Take an image of the blue version with blue lighting and you'll find it resembles the fighters from the asteroid sequence of ESB, it just takes the right lighting, though I also tried to make sure the texture looked good given less than optimal lighting conditions.

Hrmm... Wouldn't the blue filter be better done through lighting settings (like ambient lighting) rather than through textures?
I agree, with lighting, you can make any color instead of automatically adding blue to the mix because all the textures have been given the blue gel treatment, at least that's how it would work in real life.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Brand's models look great under a wide variety of lighting conditions.  If you check out the X-Wing thread you'll see that in a system with lighting similar to our own (which I assume that is cause it's a Saturn skybox) the ship is a ringer for the GOUT/Adywan color corrected versions.  With some finely tuned blue lighting it should please fans of the DVD recoloring as well.  On topic:

Quote from: Michael A. Stackpole
Sienar Systems' basic TIE Fighter—a commodity which, after hydrogen and stupidity, was the most plentiful in the galaxy.

We now have the two most iconic SW fighter in-game and they're awesome.