Author Topic: Re: Server downtime for software upgrade on Friday (late Thursday night)  (Read 7650 times)

Re: Server downtime for software upgrade on Friday (late Thursday night)
i followed shades advice and downloaded the latest 3.6.10 from your site (taylor), it connects to server but ten fails to read pilot info , so i cant stay in chat or move on to create a game , at the same time i do show up on the 3.6.10 fs2net ,i hope this mindless info helps.....

I am having the same problem. I am using the 3.6.10 RC3 build and the mediavps mod. When I go to play multiplayer I get an error message that says "An unknown error (probably a timeout) occurred when trying to retrieve your pilot data." Does anybody know how to solve this problem? If so please help me.

GameSlayerGS

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Re: Server downtime for software upgrade on Friday (late Thursday night)
First please don't necro year old threads. 

So you are you having the problem when you try to connect to the lobby?  If so see if you have a multi.cfg file in your data directory.  If so try renaming it or moving it out of the directory and try again.  Also make sure you have both ports 7808 and 7117 open on your firewall and router.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

I do have both 7117 and 7808 ports forwarded on my router and my firewall doesn't block ports only individual programs so I also changed that to allow FreeSpace 2. I couldn't find a multi.cfg file in my data folder. I can't think of anything else that could fix this, but I am very certain that you know more about how it works than I do. Any other ideas? Also the reason I posted in the old thread was because I asked for help yesterday from andicirk and he said I should post in that forum asking for help, so I did.

--GameSlayerGS--

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Did you do everything else listed here:  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,63609.0.html

Are you on any kind of limited network like work, university, etc that might have those ports blocked?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

I've tried that with the exception of contacting IRC I still. I still can't find a solution to the problem and I'm out of ideas. I would still like help. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Try disabling your anti-virus software.  I had problems awhile back with Norton thinking FS2_Open was a worm but that was only with hosting. 

I've tried disabling my antivirus software, which is McAfee, and I even tried turning off Windows Firewall. I can't think of anything else that would be stopping the verification process. Also I've been noticing that when there is a in-game window, such as: the tips at startup, the error messages, and a few others, the cursor moves fine but it leaves a permanent trail of where the cursor was as a move it around; although the problem stops when I close the in-game window. In would still like help, please.

--GameSlayerGS--

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I couldn't find a multi.cfg file in my data folder.

Try using this one. Just unpack it, and put it into your data folder.

[attachment deleted by MSC
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I put the file in the data folder it didn't work. Should I leave the file in the folder and put the folder in "data"? Is it possible that something needs to be renamed?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I know this sounds silly, but have you unpacked it? There is one file in the archive, called multi.cfg. Put that into your data folder.
Also, are you still getting the "Unknown Error"-Message? Or something else?

The next thing to do would be to use a debug build to generate a debug log (which can be found in data/fs2_open.log). Just select a debug build in the Launcher, and try to open up a multiplayer game. Then post the logfile here.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I've tried disabling my antivirus software, which is McAfee, and I even tried turning off Windows Firewall. I can't think of anything else that would be stopping the verification process. Also I've been noticing that when there is a in-game window, such as: the tips at startup, the error messages, and a few others, the cursor moves fine but it leaves a permanent trail of where the cursor was as a move it around; although the problem stops when I close the in-game window. In would still like help, please.

--GameSlayerGS--

So you are saying the cursor moves but the game freezes.  Sounds like a background program is taking focus.  In the launcher under the features tab select dev tools from the list type and click on run in window.  Try that and see if you get a popup.  Fix that and you should be good to go.

Two things: (1)-(The E) I can usually figure this stuff out, but what do mean by "unpacking it"? I am still getting the "Unknown Error Has Occurred" message. I posted the file you wanted. (2)-(FUBAR) The game doesn't freeze when I move the cursor, the game itself runs perfectly fine (except for my multiplayer issue), but everywhere I move the cursor it moves there and then I move it again and I can see the cursor where it was in other words it leaves a "trail".

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's a file called PandorasBox3610.vp in your main fs2 directory. Please move it to a separate mod directory. If you tried to enter a multi game, there will be a file called multi.log in your mediavps\data\ directory, post that as well.

By unpacking, i meant unzipping. As you may have noticed, it's a .7z file. FS can't read those, so you'll have to use an archive utility (like 7-zip or WinRAR) to decompress it.

To The E. I moved the file-PandorasBox3610 and I unzipped the file and removed the zipped version I also posted the multi.log file.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Is there a newer one available? That one is from last Thursday...

Just use the debug build and try to get into a multi game. Then post the newer log.

I'm sorry to put you through all this, but I can't see anything that strikes me as being out of the ordinary.

That is the file I downloaded from this thread a couple of hours ago. I'll post the newer log. About having me do all this that's OK I'm just glad that somebody is actually helping me with this.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's the same log again. Please try to generate a new one by running a debug build and going into mutiplayer mode.

I tried that and it has the same text in it would the new log be a different file?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Could you check your FS2 data folder (the one in the main directory) and see if there's a multi.log there with a date other than June 18th?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Do you have a mod selected?  If so the multi.log may be going to the mods data folder.