Author Topic: FreeSpace movie - good idea or bad idea?  (Read 11074 times)

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
FreeSpace movie - good idea or bad idea?
If only. Think Top Gun in space, only without the homosexual overtones. Two foreseeable problems would be giving Alpha 1 an identity and getting Robert Loggia to play Admiral Petrarch, if it were set in the FS2 era (which, personally, I would prefer over FS1). Though a way around these would be setting it after FS2, which would also facilitate a more story-oriented experience a la Blue Planet.
Opinions? Ideas?

Edit: I suppose it wouldn't necessarily need to even have Alpha 1 as the protagonist, which would also allow for fan service in the form of some mention of a certain heroic pilot who made the way out of Capella safe. A newscast in the background or something. ;)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FreeSpace movie - good idea or bad idea?
Condensing FS into a movie sounds very hard to do, what with all the world building necessary. As a TV-Series (whether as a miniseries, a regular one, or anime), it would be much easier to do.

Hell, as long as it doesn't turn out like the Wing Commander movie or BattleTech animated, I'm all for it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
That could work too, I never got into Battlestar Galactica or Stargate, so ever since Star Trek petered out I've been lacking a good sci-fi show to become obsessed with. :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That would be the other thing to address. What would the angle be? Personally, I would play up the cosmic horror aspects of the FS setting, because just doing Top Gun IN SPAAACE probably isn't such a good idea.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Well an interesting angle that was never explored in FreeSpace would be the crew of a capital ship. Part of that is my inner Trekkie speaking, but I've always wondered what goes on in there. I mean, how would you react if your beams were disabled? :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well an interesting angle that was never explored in FreeSpace would be the crew of a capital ship. Part of that is my inner Trekkie speaking, but I've always wondered what goes on in there.

*Cough* ST:TNG "Lower Decks" called, it wants its plot back.

My question here is, what can you (or a TV/Movie producer) do with an IP as unknown as FreeSpace? What are the unique aspects of FS that could potentially make good TV/good movies?

I mean, how would you react if your beams were disabled? :P

Me, I would jump out.

after FS2, which would also facilitate a more story-oriented experience a la Blue Planet.

I personally felt when I was playing BP I was basically playing a movie, the way, as you said, it was a story oriented experience.
Hell, I'd watch it even if it was recreating the FS2 campaign in movie form.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:54:39 pm by Sarge126 »

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Actually Star Trek TNG is exactly what I had in mind.  :D

But as I am not a writer or producer I can't really say. Would be nice to get a creative mind in here for some input on that... but I do agree with Sarge, I would watch a recreation of FS2 in movie form. I'd love to see a roomful of pilots' jaws dropping when Admiral Petrarch gives the announcement about the Sathanas fleet...

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
An animated series would almost be the best way. Because otherwise they'd break a budget on special effects or have no space scenes, making it Star Trek.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Yeah an animated version would probably be best. Even if only to start with - if became successful it might make enough money to warrant a live action version with CG space sequences, which I'd much prefer and would probably garner a wider audience. Maybe that's just me, but it seems like a lot of animated series end up as cult classics rather than huge titles. But I suppose all FS has right now is a cult following anyway.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
What's wrong with cult classic?

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Nothing is wrong with cult classics themselves, only the fact that they don't get sequels. Why do you think there's no FS3?  :(

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
We got FS2 so they must make some sequels

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
FS2 sold considerably less well than FS1, mostly due to a lack of marketing. Sadly, they rarely do. You never know though - Firefly did get a sequel in movie form after all.

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
Let's do FS2 a favor and NOT embarass it.  A noble idea indeed but let's face it - 99.99% of all video game adaptations turn out like complete pieces of &$%#.  Take one look at Max Payne...
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Sadly, video games rarely translate into other forms of media intact. However when they do they're usually great - the Resident Evil movies and books based on Halo and Warcraft are shining examples.

Edit: I guess the problem is that video games are the only form of media which requires the participant to actually see things through the eyes of the protagonist, which is why the aforementioned problem exists.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Mostly because they AREN'T cult classics. They water them down to make them blockbusters and shoe horn them into formulaic plots.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
The Resident Evil movies yes, I won't argue with you on that. But the Halo books are great ones and, I might add, not widely known or critically acclaimed.

I thought about this idea for some time myself, and my solution would be a movie playing during the time of FS2, focussing on different protagonists than alpha 1. You still can show important and spectacular battles like bearbaiting from the outside (or a switching pov of different pilotes), get a lot of relevant information while the people/pilots talk on their ship, and explore a different aspect of the war without being hindered with (little) plotholes that are in the game for the sake of playability.
Of course if you think about how you would make it, everything sounds so good, but in reality it sucks in most cases ;)

Well, I think a good FS movie, one that's interesting for fans as well as others can be made.

I wouldn't mind a FS2 movie, just so long as it wouldn't be dumbed-down so it could "appeal to a larger audience".  If there is a Freespace movie, I want beams, I want massive capital ships, and I want a protagonist besides an invincible Alpha One.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems