Author Topic: FreeSpace movie - good idea or bad idea?  (Read 11065 times)

Re: FreeSpace movie - good idea or bad idea?
I wouldn't mind a FS2 movie, just so long as it wouldn't be dumbed-down so it could "appeal to a larger audience".  If there is a Freespace movie, I want beams, I want massive capital ships, and I want a protagonist besides an invincible Alpha One.
Or at least give him a name, and possibly some halfway intelligent wingmates? Maybe from a POV of one of his wingmen?

Oh wait, they're all dead.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I would prefer not following around Alpha 1. We already know what happens, so tell some new stories.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
A story that follows one of Bosch's subordinates would work...

Offline Nuclear1

I wouldn't run with the Top Gun idea...
Alpha 1: You can be my wingman anytime, Alpha 3!

--next mission passes--

Alpha 3: You can be my wingman anytime, new Alpha 3!

--next mission--

Alpha 1: You can be my wingma--
Alpha 3: Oh shutup
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
IMO, not the best idea. There to much to fit into 2 hours of film.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Am I the only one who remembers how bloody awful Wing Commander was?  Okay, that sets the bar pretty low, so that a FreeSpace movie wouldn't have to do much to beat expectations, but can't we take it as a lesson learned about video games and movies?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I prefer the HLP Movie myself.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
It gives me the image of Top Gun eating Event Horizon. Then Freespace: TEH MEWVEE would be the residual feces.

I just don't think it would work. I like to kind of "Role-Play" while I play, pulling unnecessary maneuvers and even speaking out loud when I play, as if I was the main character of a movie. I just don't want it to go past that.

Unless it was something cool. Like, say, it follows the NTF Rebellion. Or a captive of the Shivans on board the Iceni. That would be interesting, and have this terrified NTF operative eventually break free from the Shivans, to find himself in the subspace tunnel en route to the Shivan homeworld. When he pops out the other side, he sees 10,000,000 Lucifers and 100,000,000 Sathanes getting ready to lolpwn the GTVA. Fade to black...

Something I WOULD LOVE to see is the journey of the Galatea or the Bastion, up to their glorious last moments. Hell, Event Horizon was all on one ship, I think that FS:TM could do it, too. As long as it was done well.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There was some discussion regarding what we, the community, would like to see in an FS movie or TV series, about three years ago.  I did a quick search and came up with the thread.  I recall it specifically because I wrote up a rather in-depth idea about basing a TV series on the events of FS1, where the main characters would be part of the Ross 128 incident as part of the pilot episode.  I've liked directly to my post:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39865.msg813133.html#msg813133
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mikes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_(film)

Wing Commander was panned by critics: its 9% 'fresh' rating on Rotten Tomatoes is amongst the lowest ever recorded on that site.[9] It is also considered a major box office flop: the total domestic gross of Wing Commander's theatrical run is estimated at $11,578,059, not nearly enough to recoup its $30 million budget.[10] Chris Roberts never directed another motion picture. He did, however, serve as a producer on The Punisher, The Jacket and Lord of War. A considerable amount of the gross could be attributed to the fact that a new theatrical trailer for Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace premiered before this film in theaters, which would be released two months later.[11]

In 2009, Time listed the film on their list of top ten worst video games movies.[12]

Just keep in mind, what a freespace movie could turn out to be like LOL

Good games don't make good movies, but good games easily make you regret movies like these have been made LOL

The movie could center around one Ensign Aken Bosch, GTI operative at the time of the Hades Insurrection.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
The movie could center around one Ensign Aken Bosch, GTI operative at the time of the Hades Insurrection.

T'aint been proven. If you're going to make the movie using actual game characters, you've gotta make sure you're using canon info.

Unless  :v: started using the HLP forums while I was away.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Well, the movie could make it canon by a decree from :v:.  How's that?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline wistler

T'aint been proven. If you're going to make the movie using actual game characters, you've gotta make sure you're using canon info.

Unless  :v: started using the HLP forums while I was away.

Well... actually no if a movie was made they don't have to use anything from canon. They can rewrite whatever they like if thats there prerogative.

Just look at the *spit burp* Uwe Bowl movies that are related to games in name only.

Offline wistler

I actually think there isn't enough story in FS1 to make a movie. A successful movie that is. Sure you could have the Lucifer approaching the Sol and getting destroyed but that's a pretty rubbish narrative for a movie.

The Shivans in a movie sense aren't that interesting, you can't show there reasons for being uber evil, nor can they interact with the protagonists. That's a problem I believe the writers of ST: First Contact faced when bringing the Borg to the big screen and there reasons for making the Queen. Having a faceless enemy is real scary and all but it doesn't leave you a lot of character wiggle room.

I actually think there isn't enough story in FS1 to make a movie. A successful movie that is. Sure you could have the Lucifer approaching the Sol and getting destroyed but that's a pretty rubbish narrative for a movie.

The Shivans in a movie sense aren't that interesting, you can't show there reasons for being uber evil, nor can they interact with the protagonists. That's a problem I believe the writers of ST: First Contact faced when bringing the Borg to the big screen and there reasons for making the Queen. Having a faceless enemy is real scary and all but it doesn't leave you a lot of character wiggle room.

I agree. Just look at the Halo novels, they weren't all based on the invincible Master Chief running around slaughtering aliens. I think that a movie based on the universe of Freespace would be pretty interesting, and we needn't look far for a script as I think Weatherop's fan fiction "FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed" and Trivial Psychic's idea would do well.

Although a full feature length movie would be pretty much impossible, I think a short film of about 10-15 minutes is doable. Just think of the publicity (google "Alive in Joburg" by Neill Blomkamp and see what it led to ;)) it would bring to Freespace if it was successful!  :D

Offline Mikes

Well it worked for independence day sorta. :p ID didn't show a lot more of the actual aliens than we ever saw of the Shivans in that transport cutscene heh.

Course... could an exploding Vasuda Prime beat an exploding White House ? mhhhhhh propably not :p
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:59:12 am by Mikes »

Offline wistler

Well it worked for independence day sorta. :p

If your going to aspire to something, make it a little higher then ID:4  :lol: I see your point though

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
If your going to aspire to something, make it a little higher then ID:4
Wait, what's wrong with independance day.... and since when were there sequels?

Course... could an exploding Vasuda Prime beat an exploding White House ? mhhhhhh propably not

You'd have to show all the fleeing citizens as a beam lances down on the city in the background and they are overtaken by a massive wave of fire and plasma.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Does it matter? It doesn't have to be about the faceless enemy. The movie would be about how the pilots and officers react to this. You never even need to show a shivan at all during a movie. They are mysterious, a force of nature.

It can be done and it can be done well. A full movie. You'd just need a very good writer that can pull this off.

Frankly, methinks the community itself could write a good script if it wanted to (think the HLP movie things we've been writing, only fully in character and set in a specific point in DS timeline)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!