Author Topic: Effectiveness of Terran Capships  (Read 5991 times)

Ramius

Effectiveness of Terran Capships
I made a scenario last night using 6 Terran ships vs. 3 Shivan ships. No fighters besides Alpha 1. Terran ships as follows:
2 GTC Aeolus
2 GTC Leviathan
2 GTCv Deimos
1 Perseus fighter (A-1)

Shivans as follows:
1 SD Demon
2 SC Rakshasas

The beam cannons were set to activate for all ships when the SD entered at 8000m. the shivans closed distance quickly due to subspace exit speeds, closinbg to 3000m in several (5-10) seconds. During this time, all batteries were opened upon opposing forces. Terran forces were distributed in linear form, as follows:
GTCv GTCl GTCa GTCl GTCa GTCv

Shivans were distributed in linear form as follows:
SC SD SC

The Terran fleet lost, with an Aeolus and Leviathan being the last to go. The Rakshasas survived at 45 and 60% intact.

One corvette went down first, followed by a Leviathan. Then an Aeolus, which was fending off the Raks with a Leviathan, was downed. The Demon killed one Leviathan, and left its underside  wide open to the other corvette. The Cv pounded the Demon, but it was sustaining heavy fire from the Rakshasas. It went down when the Demon brought its main beam to bear. The Demon had a hull integrity of 3% at that point, and a few slashes by the remaining Leviathan downed it. The Aeolus and Leviathan left turned on the Rakshasas, with the Aeolus dropping first, then the Levithan afterwards.

What I am asking the rest of you is what does the GTVA seriously need to win a medium-capship battle?

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
The Colossus.  Anything else is easy meat.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Ramius

I was thinking more along the smaller, easier-to-produce type capship. The Colossus is a Juggernaut, much like the Sathanas. The next thing down from them is the Dreadnought, which the Hades and Lucifer fit into.

For the medium capship, I was thinking of something along the lines of the Iceni.

Darklord

Yeah, but using the Iceni would be boring, you'd need to think up something _like_the Iceni to fill the gap.

Ramius

well, doing something like importing the Nova Dreadnought or Hyperion from B5 might work.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
You DO know about the mod, don't you?

Anyway... Orion. All you need for capship-capship battles  

Ramius

Yeah, i know about the Babylon Project mod. I'm still curious as to how well the B5 ships would fare in FS2.

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
I am at the moment working on a new cruiser, which is kinda what you're after. It's slightly smaller than a Fenris, packs an LRBGreen beam, two AAAf's and some Terran Turrets- although it aint finished yet, I would estimate that four of these could take out a Demon.
 I also ran a test battle- but more a small ships one. A Deimos, a aeolus, a leviathon and a fenris against a Moloch, a Rakshasa, a Cain and a Lilith, each facing their counter part. Interesting thing is, 3 times out of 4, the Terrans won.

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die yoing"
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases

Originally posted by The Claw:
I am at the moment working on a new cruiser, which is kinda what you're after. It's slightly smaller than a Fenris, packs an LRBGreen beam, two AAAf's and some Terran Turrets- although it aint finished yet, I would estimate that four of these could take out a Demon.
Slightly overkill?
I mean, I think that at a long range, ONE of those could easily take out a Demon.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Ramius:
Yeah, i know about the Babylon Project mod. I'm still curious as to how well the B5 ships would fare in FS2.

I kindt of agree. I haven't seen any B5 eps on TV, but from the CG movies I've seen, ships get wiped out way yoo easily - as opposed to FS2. where even fighters take a while to get taken down. I want to see how it works out.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
B5 is a series. Every minute costs money.
Whereas FS2 is a game. One might argue that every minute MAKES money  

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hmmm... I wonder how much the B5 people get paid for every season they pump out.

Offline The Claw

Just for the record, these cruisers have the same amount of hitpoints as an Fenris (hardly the toughest ship in the game) and I will probably end up using BGreens or Mjolinir beams for the main gun- I'm just using LRB's for now. When I complete the model and .pof editting, I will work on balancing it in the game.

------------------
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
What pof editting are you doing? Have you got any screenshots of the WIP..?  

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator

Originally posted by Setekh:
Hmmm... I wonder how much the B5 people get paid for every season they pump out.

Probably not long enough to make a more exciting and longer space battle scene.

------------------
Long Live The Fighters!!!

Do or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Yub yub Commander! - Major Wes Janson

GTD Excellence
NeoHunter<                 [b][email protected][/b]                               >                  

Upcoming campaign: Fury Storm

Offline The Claw

Have you got any screenshots of the WIP..?
Not on me, but when I get home I can take a few and mail them to you if you want  
 As for the .pof editting, it's mainly justr turrets an stuff.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Claw (edited 03-13-2001).]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Cool, mind if I put them up?  

Darklord

Originally posted by NeoHunter:
Probably not long enough to make a more exciting and longer space battle scene.  

Prehaps if we send them money...  

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That's almost as useless as trying to buy the rights to FreeSpace.  

Offline The Claw

I'll have to rebuild it first- just after I posted I had a MAJOR system crash and I've lost nearly all my work   Heh... good thing I've got all that "concept art" I did in those long physics lessons  

------------------