Author Topic: Template: Fan-made Article  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Template: Fan-made Article
Posting this on Mobius's behalf, since Mobius tried to sneak it under the radar as a "minor" edit without discussion.

Do we really need such a template?  As opposed to the canon/noncanon template, which is necessary to differentiate between various campaign continuities, it's generally pretty clear whether an article is written as a factual reference versus as an opinion piece.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Template: Fan-made Article
We did have a discussion a bit ago, in this thread.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I see.  I overlooked it because it was buried in a discussion about veteran comments and Mobius's rants about being blocked.

EDIT: Moreover, that discussion was focused on Mobius's Table Inconsistencies article, as opposed to Mobius's proposal for a new template.  So the point stands.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Well, the way I see it, we *might* need such a template, just to prevent people from arguing about subjectivity and factuality (as it recently has become a fashion).

Most importantly, let's discuss exactly what kind of articles belong under this template, who are intended to edit such articles, and who is to decide who these editors are. Of course I'm talking about content-altering edits, not minor typo-fixing edits.

And least importantly, I'd recommend a new name, though. All Wiki articles are technically made by fans.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I say we keep it. It helps defuse the automatic air of authority that articles have.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I apologize for the absence of a dedicated topic, but when the subject has been (partially) discussed in the other thread the idea has been kind of accepted and the new template seemed necessary (to some extent, at least).

As for the utility of the article itself - as I stated elsewhere, the result of research based on canon might not be shared by the community as a whole. Who came out with the "Apocryphal" and "Pseudocanon" terms when analyzing the potential validity of jump nodes that don't appear on the official node map, which is even supposed to override any other canon source? I don't agree with that analysis, and I obviously can't edit that article according to my own opinion.

Inconsistencies article are only an example. There are major assumptions in "Retconning in FreeSpace" and "Post-Great War era contacts with Sol" whose validity may be questioned by many community members.

The Non-canon template, IMO, should be used for articles of ambiguous validity: non canon planets, stars, historical events, ships, weapons and such should all go to that category. In other words, it's to be used when the content of the article may be interpreted as canon if the much needed explanations aren't provided. Without the non-canon template, for example, it would be impossible for the average Wiki user to know that the Tegmen system isn't canon. Additionally, I think that pure non canon info should not be debatable: if I say that the SSJ Gigas first appeared in the INFR1 mission "Gigas", no one can complain about my statement and no one can claim that Gigas and the SSJ Gigas are canon. IMO, the non-canon templates is for facts, not opinions, based on custom-made campaigns, models, weapons, etc. etc.

The template is redundant when the nature of the article is obvious: we all know that Shivan Theories (most of which have a community member's nick on their name) are not canon, so what's the point in adding the non-canon template? The same principle can be easily applied to the Shivan Manifesto: considering it "non canon", IMO, is not enough giving the number of critiques (which were enough in quantity and quality to have their own article). It means that many members of the community don't agree with the Manifesto's writer and obviously can't edit the writer's original article according to their critiques. That's why we have a "Criticism of the Shivan Manifesto" article. "Non canon" means that Volition is not behind the creation of the article, but it doesn't mention at all what other fans may think of the article itself.

Specifying that an article has been created by one or more fans and therefore does not represent the point of view of Volition nor the point of view of the FreeSpace community as a whole opens a new scenario. It allows contributors to make major (and hopefully reasonable) assumptions on the FS universe without having to deal with people who don't share the writer's opinion and point it out as trash (it happens on the forums so imagine what might happen on the Wiki). When it comes to this kind of theories, pointing them out as "non canon" is not enough: "non canon" defines info which haven't been confirmed by Volition, but somewhat implies plausibility and proximity to canon.

There are many articles on the Wiki that should, IMO, have the new template instead of the more specific "non-canon". The idea behind the new template, is not new at all (as seen in the "Shivan Manifesto" and "Criticisms of the Shivan Manifesto" articles, which clearly show how "non-canon" is not enough). It's just that, IMO, it needs to be applied even more...

I agree with TopAce: the template may need a name change. I created it following the result of the other discussion, so the template's name and the displayed text may and should be easily changed if needed.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: TEMPLATE: FAN-MADE ARTICLE
I really don't want the wiki to turn into a bureaucratic nightmare where everything must be assigned a label as to whether it's an opinion or fact, or whether it's sanctioned by Mobius or not.

As long as it's clear whether something is research, or fact, or opinion, or editorial, it should be fine.  The only reason this became an issue in the first place, AFAIK, is because Mobius was taking his own opinions and presenting them as fact.  As long as we can identify and prevent those sorts of edits, this shouldn't be an issue.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Oh please, not again. You're pretending to read my mind for the Nth time... how many times do I have to tell you that your explanations to my actions aren't anywhere near to the truth? I think I know myself enough... :rolleyes:

One example that should have been added to the previous post: Zarathud's BoE article and other similar articles. IMHO, many of the statements we can read on that article are a bit outdated (I posted several modifications here on HLP a while ago, but I've never added them to the Wiki) and, of course, I have no intention of editing Zarathud's article because a) it's a lack of respect towards Zarathud himself, b) it will mess up the whole article, thus leading to the presence of several contradictions and c) people looking for the original article would find an edited version instead of the original one.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree with Goob's interpretation of Mobius' actions, but I also agree with Mobius that those articles would be good places for the fan-article template.

Mobius does a lot of stuff wrong, sure, but he also makes some valuable contributions.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:10:10 am by General Battuta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mobius does a lot of stuff wrong but he also makes some valuable contributions.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wut? Seems sensible to me.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh no, I was supporting your opinion. I don't know where those dots came from.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I think the whole conception here is off.

The only articles in need of this sort of thing are, well, Zarathud's, some of the other FRED stuff (the Pirates And Campaign Design one comes to mind). The Shivan Theories are already under the non-canon template and there they should stay.

I also think the conception of the Table Inconsistencies article is off too, since the only actual "Table Inconsistences" in the game are those of the stealth fighters. Everything else is a clear case of Gameplay and Story Segregation and already covered in the respective veteran comments and not in need of rehashing. (For that matter, the inconsistences of the stealth fighters were covered in the same places.)

And just to top it off, you went ahead and made this template when the last thread where you proposed it didn't have a clear consensus it was needed, and you present that thread as evidence of a consensus. Your duplicity is not welcome.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hrm...that's not a bad point, and I like that title more than 'table inconsistencies.'

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I agree with Goob's interpretation of Mobius' actions, but I also agree with Mobius that those articles would be good places for the fan-article template.

Mobius does a lot of stuff wrong, sure, but he also makes some valuable contributions.

Psittacumimus.

The only articles in need of this sort of thing are, well, Zarathud's, some of the other FRED stuff (the Pirates And Campaign Design one comes to mind). The Shivan Theories are already under the non-canon template and there they should stay.

I'd also like to mention FRED topics like Karajorma's top 10 list of FRED mistakes. Articles like that (no offense to the creator, of course :)) represent the POV of a single community member, so the other community members are not supposed to share that opinion.

There are many, many articles that represent the POV of a single person on the Wiki. Other than keep saying this, I don't really know what to do to focus your attention on the need to group them into a single category (which various sub-categories, of course).

Your reference to the non-canon category is not enough, IMO. If you take a look at the content of the Non-canon category, you'd find stuff (mostly) that comes straight from custom campaigns and modpacks. Theories and other articles that represent a member's POV are non-canon, no doubt about that, but quite frankly deserve to have their own sub-category. IMHO, a specific category is also handy: it allows people to look for theories and other subjective stuff. A while ago I was interested on reading as many theories as possible, but I couldn't find any specific categories other than  "Shivan Theories".

I now agree on making that a sub-category of non-canon, but why getting rid of it even if there are many Wiki articles that satisfy its requirements?

And just to top it off, you went ahead and made this template when the last thread where you proposed it didn't have a clear consensus it was needed, and you present that thread as evidence of a consensus. Your duplicity is not welcome.

Can you please be of any help rather than posting stuff like that? No offense, but you're being a bit disruptive. If you have good subjects to base your assumptions on I'm more than glad to read them. You have to do that in a polite way, however.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:38:54 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
YOU ARE NOT A MOD.

Mobius, you're a run-of-the-mill member and you're in no way special. Stop telling other members how to act. Every time you tell someone they're being 'disruptive' it's transparently obvious that you're just trying to hide from valid criticism. At least High Max responds directly to critiques with angry rants, instead of taking cover behind condescension.

FOV =! POV. Edit your post.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm not a moderator. I'm not an administrator. I'm not special, nor I pretend to.

Posting my opinion and pretending to accept it as a fact everyone should accept are two separate things. If I don't agree with NGTM-1R, what am I supposed to do? I think I have the right to reply.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You've been referring to this article which clearly states at the top that it was written by one community member.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yeah.

The point is that community members have their opinion about the subject itself (the presence of common FRED mistakes and consequent explanations) and therefore may post their POV somewhere.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Psittacumimus.
What the **** does that mean?

I'm sure it's some kind of badly veiled offense, so **** you too.