Author Topic: Command and Conquer 4 announced  (Read 34880 times)

Offline Mika

Re: Command and Conquer 4 announced
Cutting and pasting several posts:

I did like Kane and his personality better in the first game though, as well as the numerous action cutscenes.

I prefer Tiberian Sun's Kane personality. In Tiberium Wars, Kane seemed to have... dunno, lost sight of his goals. That's why I hope CnC4 would fix it.

The C&C3 skirmish AI is easily the best of any C&C or RA game and is pretty tough to beat on brutal difficulty. I have had many interesting co-op games against the brutal AIs.

And CnC3 skirmish AI is fine. If you play against 6 Easy allied AIs, rushers to be exact, you'll get swarmed to death quite quickly, no matter how good you are. On the other hand, I've seen people defeat brutal AIs by sending a large group of engineers...

What it comes to Kane, I also liked him best in the first installment. I guess it was also among the first times when there was FMV sequence of person getting shot from point blank range. Strange enough, I think the acting was best in the first one yet there are no well known actors in there.

In Tiberium Wars, I thought many times while playing NOD that why the hell did Kane hatch such a masterplan which could have failed in so many places that it wasn't even funny. This coming from a person who failed several NOD missions several times and listened to Kane unloading his verbal arsenal about failing to fulfil his masterplan. From NOD's side, the entire plot felt like standing on top of a weak, 60 meter tall pole, while the setup with GDI felt much more reasonable.

Never said that the AI was bad or is a bad thing. For me it was simply murderous. Come to think of your scenario, I think actually do have managed to defeat 6 Easy Allied Rushers in Skirmish. Sure it took a couple of hours, but it finally worked. The crazy thing is after that I couldn't even beat a single Balanced Normal AI... And the worst thing is that the AI doesn't even cheat!

By the way, the guard tower sound in C&C 1 is still the best RTS effect I have heard for that type of gun and is quite realistic and fits the overall tone of the game quite well. Plus it also has the effect of making you jump out of your seat when playing with headsets. Along with the other sounds, like the advanced guard tower rocket explosion sound. If only they had done the artillery sounds as well, along with the tank main gun firing + bazookas.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Really?  I always thought that the computer was a cheating bastard in that game.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
HTNK is C&C's internal game code for the Mammoth Tank. Anyone who has tried to make singleplayer missions for C&C will know about it. :D

I prefer Tiberian Sun's Kane personality. In Tiberium Wars, Kane seemed to have... dunno, lost sight of his goals. That's why I hope CnC4 would fix it.

And CnC3 skirmish AI is fine. If you play against 6 Easy allied AIs, rushers to be exact, you'll get swarmed to death quite quickly, no matter how good you are. On the other hand, I've seen people defeat brutal AIs by sending a large group of engineers...

The TS Kane was better than the C&C3 one, although the cyborg mask he got later on looked silly. The C&C1 Kane was the best though. He came across as calm and intelligent, and always seemed to be in control of proceedings. He even plays chess with you at one point. :yes:

I have always defeated brutals by starving them of money, which depending on the map can be hard to do. They cheat and build too fast for you to rush them unless the map is tiny. Getting a few friends together and going up against an equal number of brutals is a lot of fun though. The hard AIs don't cheat but are much easier to beat, too easy I think.

In Tiberium Wars, I thought many times while playing NOD that why the hell did Kane hatch such a masterplan which could have failed in so many places that it wasn't even funny. This coming from a person who failed several NOD missions several times and listened to Kane unloading his verbal arsenal about failing to fulfil his masterplan. From NOD's side, the entire plot felt like standing on top of a weak, 60 meter tall pole, while the setup with GDI felt much more reasonable.

The Nod plot did seemed pretty contrived, although I think it was presented well. Still, the story was much better than that of TS and had a lot more detail. TS felt like a drama and focused too much on specific characters, as opposed to C&C1 where there was a lot more going on in the world outside of your own missions. C&C3 was somewhere in the middle. The intelligence entries helped a lot in fleshing out the universe.

Kane's Wrath's had a much weaker plot though. Act 1 was good, but the other two acts made no sense at all. In the last one, which takes place after C&C3, there is no reference or connection to the events of C&C3's ending at all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:34:57 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
While I like the idea of C&C4, after having looked at those screenshots, even realizing it's from a very early beta, possibly even an alpha build of the game, it looks like ****.  The unit designs are ridiculous, and why are there Mammy MK2s when they said in THEY'RE OWN GAME that the MK2s were discontinued because they were underpowered/overpriced vs. the newer hardware(which is actually pretty monstrous), never mind the titans and whatever those little RC car looking things with the two barrels were.

We're not even a day into the offical "runup" to a beta or whatever and this is already shaping up to be the biggest fail since Generals.

C&C3 was IMO the best of the series, simply, except for a couple places, it's EPIC in scale.  Seeing Tricia Helfer in tight leather is enough to make anyone switch to NOD, if it weren't for the fact that Kane is at his most charismatic.  That seems to have been forgotten in by some people, The Brotherhood of NOD isn't so much an army as it is a cult based on Kane being the Prophet of Tiberium, and he was a very manipulative cult leader in 3 and Kane's Wrath.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I want to kill Kane...finally and completely. Just how many clones does that bastard have?

And as far as I'm concerned, Tiberian Sun never happened.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
They aren't clones, heretic, my lord Kane is immortal. :rolleyes:

In point of fact, Kane is an XT that was banished by his race to this backward mudball, perhaps because he was a warmongering bastard?

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They aren't clones, heretic, my lord Kane is immortal. :rolleyes:

In point of fact, Kane is an XT that was banished by his race to this backward mudball, perhaps because he was a warmongering bastard?
I want to kill Kane...finally and completely. Just how many clones does that bastard have?

And as far as I'm concerned, Tiberian Sun never happened.

Kane lives in Death, simple as.

Fixed.......

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Kane lives in Death, simple as.

EXACTLY!

While I like the idea of C&C4, after having looked at those screenshots, even realizing it's from a very early beta, possibly even an alpha build of the game, it looks like ****.  The unit designs are ridiculous, and why are there Mammy MK2s when they said in THEY'RE OWN GAME that the MK2s were discontinued because they were underpowered/overpriced vs. the newer hardware(which is actually pretty monstrous), never mind the titans and whatever those little RC car looking things with the two barrels were.

We're not even a day into the offical "runup" to a beta or whatever and this is already shaping up to be the biggest fail since Generals.

C&C3 was IMO the best of the series, simply, except for a couple places, it's EPIC in scale.  Seeing Tricia Helfer in tight leather is enough to make anyone switch to NOD, if it weren't for the fact that Kane is at his most charismatic.  That seems to have been forgotten in by some people, The Brotherhood of NOD isn't so much an army as it is a cult based on Kane being the Prophet of Tiberium, and he was a very manipulative cult leader in 3 and Kane's Wrath.

They seem to have taken the Kane's Wrath new unit design. Yea, that doesn't look good... Hopefully it will be different. Let's just wait for the trailer.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Mammoth Mk. II was discontinued because they were afraid Nod was going to try blowing the legs off the things (which was a good idea because it works against everything else with giant robot legs), not the price/effectiveness ration.  If that was the criteria, why the hell do they have whatever the jeep thingies were in C&C3?

And so far I hear "they changed it now it sucks" as the only real bad thing so far.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The Pitbull is a recon/anti-aircraft vehicle.  The design is a repurposed personnel carrier from around the same time as the Wolverine filled the recon portion of the role.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
As long as I get to fry Kane with an Ion Cannon I'll be happy.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
That was tried in part 1.  Wasn't permanent.  ;)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Did you notice that Kane was in the same pose when he was fired on by an Ion cannon as he was during the Tiberian Sun Nod ending video when the ICBM was launched? Looks to me like he did the same "teleporting" thing, or whatever that was.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
How many times has Kane "died"?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Three times. But only the first two "deaths" make sense. Getting stabbed and shot by McNeil and Kane still being alive doesn't really make sense in Tiberium Wars ( though I have a personal theory on this one ).

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You can't kill the Messiah.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No, but I can kill the false prophet pretending to be one.

I can't see for the life of me what anyone seez in Kane.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
We don't want a bromance lol. He's just cooler than the GDI Counterpart.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Cool? Why? Cause he's bald? Cause he's insane? I guess it's a superflous question given that what is cool varries from person to person.

In all C&C games I never saw anything cool in Kane. He was just another megalomanical crazy overlord on my hit list.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever

Cool? Why? Cause he's bald? Cause he's insane? I guess it's a superflous question given that what is cool varries from person to person.

In all C&C games I never saw anything cool in Kane. He was just another megalomanical crazy overlord on my hit list.

I used to think the same before I defected to Nod.