Author Topic: War in Heaven work-in-progress screenshots  (Read 79626 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: War in Heaven work-in-progress screenshots
that's just a COMPLETELY uncalled for amount of bombs.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Not really, no. What you see in those screenshots is the weakest of UEF bombs, launched in swarms of four. Four of them is only tiny bit better than single cyclops.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Then that's about...eight cyclops right there? (in the second picture)
I count 33 trails.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Their big advantage is that they're hard to shoot down. They may be fairly weak, but they're functionally four times tougher than a Cyclops, and they saturate point defenses very well.

Of course we could always slap some armor on various types of bombs too to make things interesting.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There were quite a few UEF bombers in that test scenario the screenshots were from. In addition there was a Karuna, Sanctus and another, much larger UEF warship nearby bombarding Tev warships present. Deimos wasn't alone. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, and don't forget that the UEF doesn't field bombers like the GTVA does. You'll see squadrons of Boanerges or Artemises doing massed tactical strikes, but when it comes to the UEF, usually it's a wing or two at most. They're just crazy powerful.

Reminds me of "Stalin's Organ" style massed rocket strikes.

That's a good thing.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then that's about...eight cyclops right there? (in the second picture)
I count 33 trails.
The point is that they saturate the GTVA's point defense. You can't shoot down all 33 warheads, even if a few hit it's still better than none hitting.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I guess that in case somebody will be making a TEV campaign for WiH, he will have to hint using EMP missiles for defence.
Nothing but them would be able to stop these torps.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Original version with post-processing

New version without post-processing and after ambient lighting overhaul.

As you can see, general tone of ambient lighting is dark. Which fits mood and setting of the campaign as well as brings some flavor of realism into play. In WiH missions you will see that amount of ambient lighting will vary depend on how far away from the Sun mission is taking place. Battle in above screenshot is taking place near Europa, quite far away from the Sun.

Post-processing has been moved to experimental in 3.6.12 RC2 due to buggy implementation causing memory leaks and other issues that may cause crashes.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
brings some flavor of realism into play.

No it doesn't.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Aww, I liked the shinyness; this new shot looks kinda bland, - dare I say it - retail...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Aww, I liked the shinyness; this new shot looks kinda bland, - dare I say it - retail...

Sorry, mate, nothing we can do:

Post-processing has been moved to experimental in 3.6.12 RC2 due to buggy implementation causing memory leaks and other issues that may cause crashes.

brings some flavor of realism into play.

No it doesn't.

See the Astrography thread. It's a distant flavor (ambient lighting, for instance, is still present, and local light sources aren't included) but it's at least 'more realistic'.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Will the settings you use in the launcher have any effect?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That effect was achieved by using low saturation and high contrast. Even if post-processing wouldn't have issues, the effect wouldn't have been used much. You don't want low saturation in all missions. In other words, the effect in question was only ever used for that specific cutscene.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Mmh, if it's too shiny, I feel it's too unrealistic, and don't like it. This is the main reason why I prefer Spidey's light settings over Herra Tohtori's.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
That second screenshot looks atrocious. It's like you turned off specular lighting or something.

Changing the ambient lighting based on distance from the sun makes sense, and turning off the desaturation is fine too, but something just isn't right there.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, Fury HAS said that he prefers his missions as dark as possible. Personally, I would go crazy playing it that dark, but using HerraTohtori's lighting settings from the wiki's Sample Lighting Settings page makes everything look rather cool.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
That second screenshot looks atrocious. It's like you turned off specular lighting or something.

Changing the ambient lighting based on distance from the sun makes sense, and turning off the desaturation is fine too, but something just isn't right there.

The problem at the moment is that the sun is in the same plane as the mission and therefore has relatively little lighting effect on the upsides of the ships, which are mostly facing the camera.

I'm inclined to agree that it needs to be addressed, either by tilting the skybox or by tilting the whole mission.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I use ColeCampbell666's settings for my FreeSpace experience.  It's beautiful to see all the light weapons fire throws out with those settings.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems