Author Topic: What has happened so far?  (Read 6698 times)

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
What has happened so far?
Its been some time since the last ETA, wondering if the R1's ambitions have been scaled up, or is it just the timeframe scaled up...

Anyway, may I ask any luck for a before Xmas release?

Before bashing me up senseless, I'm not exactly asking for a release date, just wondering if it can be done before 2010.

Offline newman

Re: What has happened so far?
Someone is simply unable to grasp the fact that -we- don't know.  :rolleyes:
Yes, we're definitely hoping and planning to release before that. Problem is, there are still a few items that need to be done before we are able to give any sort of an even remotely accurate ETA. Now be nice and stop asking for updates and ETAs. It's annoying and as you might have noticed it doesn't get us to tell you info that we don't have in the first place.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Its been some time since the last ETA, wondering if the R1's ambitions have been scaled up, or is it just the timeframe scaled up...

Anyway, may I ask any luck for a before Xmas release?

Before bashing me up senseless, I'm not exactly asking for a release date, just wondering if it can be done before 2010.

You are asking for a release date, just in a slightly different way.

I'm surprised you got such a patient answer from Newman, the amount of times they have already had to say they don;t know when it'll be ready, but when they do they'll tell us.

I assumed from that that the Devs would tell us when they know themselves  ;)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You need a "When it's done" sticky.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
When we know the release date, so will you. Simple as that.

Meanwhile we try to keep up the interest with whatever we can show. We really can't do more.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I mean a sticky similar to the BtRL sticky.

That didn't work either, people still wanted a release date despite the sticky.

Might stop the vast majority though....

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Often I like to see progress, but that is in many ways no different than asking for a release (of sorts, at least). I can attest to the fact that projects on the side are ON THE SIDE. They get done when they get done.

Working on X-Plane projects in the past has proved this concept to be true. And while developing those projects, should a significant update arise, the developer will often be very happy to show of his/her own volition what of any improvements have been made. The moral of the story is "be patient." Repeatedly asking for progress in a very shallow manner contributes nothing to the project and is very drab in a conversation. If you want answers, ask meaty questions or contribute some valid sort of thought process towards your query.

@ IronForge:

Repeatedly shouting "are we there yet" in the back seat is the pinnacle of noobery. Everyone's been there, but you're really slow in catching on that you have not moved past that stage.

-Thaeris
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:39:44 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I mean a sticky similar to the BtRL sticky.

That won't stop people like IronForge. This is now the 3rd or 4th time he's asked for a release date in a variety of differing manners and failed to understand that we simply don't know.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IronForge

Fine, I wont ask... for another few months or so. (Hey, I stopped last time!!)
but I've worked on projects in the past, just not freespace 2. I'm surprised that at this point in time you don't even have any 5 month estimates.

Plus, its the 2nd thread I've posted in asking for one. First for a long time.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

I can assure you that there are occasions where you are seeing stuff very nearly on the same day it appears on the internal, that's how dedicated these guys are to making sure you are all kept up to speed on what's being done and what's yet to come.

I think part of the avoidance of giving an estimate is a need to not disappoint the fans by making a very vaporous guess and then having people expect them to hold to it and feeling let-down.

I can tell you that the team is being totally honest with you, R1 is probably the biggest project of the lot, because it needs to contain all the stuff that gets re-used by later releases, like Huds, cockpits, briefing icons etc, later releases won't need as many of those, because they'll already be present, but this is the release that contains the bulk of them.

So all I'll ask is, please, be patient, the team really is working hard for the sake of creating the best mod they possibly can, I can testify to that, so give them time, and I promise, you won't be disappointed :)

Offline IronForge

Allright, just that I'm surprised they can't make a 7 month wide estimate. I mean, not to be unreasonable, maybe I've just not worked on projects with such scale, but in my other gaming projects, or even guild leveling/get rich quick/war campaigns, I can give a fairly accurate 3 month gap eta no problem. Its just as good to me as asking if im gona be alive next week.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well good for you. We congratulate you on your gigantic space-brain and prostrate ourselves at your superior intellect and reasoning abilities.

Then we remember your inability to grasp the meaning of a concept as simple as "We don't know" and feel a lot better about ourselves. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

What benefit would you get from knowing it was going to be released in 7 months anyway?

Give it a rest.

You've already been told by the Devs that it's annoying.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Fine, I wont ask... for another few months or so.
How is asking speeding up the process?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Fine, I wont ask... for another few months or so.
How is asking speeding up the process?

I believe it only works when a threat is present. Such as a large bloke with a bullwhip. Or Roman Legionaires. They're pretty scary...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline IronForge

First of all, I'm not asking for a release date. Theres a huge diff between 'when will it be done?' and 'will it be done in over half a year?'

But seeing you all are so pissed off about this, its allright with me, I just won't ask. However, the main point of this post is to ask what has been done so far... and I can actually compute a release date based on that in my head.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
NO! YOU CAN NOT! Hw can you know what the team will do, who will get sick, whose mom will die... And besides, you have to factor in feature creep, the fact that they don't know how long **** will take... It is the same question, worded differently.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Hey there, long time no see you. I've not read the entire thread but just asking you on what's the ETA and .. Kidding... :D

BTW Kara, I've had an extremely good laugh with this:

... We congratulate you on your gigantic space-brain and prostrate ourselves at your superior intellect and reasoning abilities.

I declare it my quote of the year! :D

I'm around

Best,

PS: Sorry, Ironforge, I'm not mocking at you.. you know. Not even collateral effects, ok?
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
I'd mock ironforge but I couldn't be bothered coming up with something witty.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.