Author Topic: Revell 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 FINISHED [image heavy]  (Read 11759 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Revell 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 FINISHED [image heavy]
So, I had this model kit lying around for years but never had the time to get it done after moving away from home. This summer, though, I didn't manage to get any summer job so I ended up back north at my parents', building a bit of a shed and on my free time loitering in the internets and... painting and assembling this Messerschmitt model kit.

It's a Revell model from the 90's, and it has quite nice mold job - no badly malformed parts, the fuselage fits the wing root, wings glued together quite nicely (with the help of clothespins) and it has two sets of decals. The only neglected thing is historical accuracy - it does not come with swastikas for the vertical stabilizer, which were a part of Luftwaffe markings...

I also decided to add a little modification by spreading the radiator flaps apart from each other instead of having them closed shut. Here are a few images of this process - I basically cut the wing flaps to their bending point, then carefully bent the parts apart from the center line:

As far as paint goes, I decided to imitate reality as much as I could, so seeing how these planes had an aluminium coating behind the paint I first put an layer of aluminium paint on the wings, fuselage, control surfaces, prop spinner and other parts like that. This will give me an option of weathering these surfaces by scratching on them gently, making the underlying aluminium layer shine through...

Cockpit in this plane does not have too much detail (not much you can cram on to 1/72 scale...), and I didn't concentrate on it very much as even a slightly messy end result will look just fine through the distorting plastic canopy. Nevertheless, here's how the cockpit:

Regarding the cockpit, I also modified the model a bit; On the box cover art (and in history I think) these models were equipped with the transparent head armour glass, but on this model that piece was a solid plastic plate, so I cut that away in preparation for gluing in a transparent small piece of plastic, which should hopefully look better... Here's the still clear Erla canopy and the panzer glass piece.

After the aluminium coat was dried up, it was time to mix up the grayish-blue RLM-75 colour for the undersides of the wings and fuselage. I decided to give the plane an overall coating in this colour though before adding in the greenish brown and grayish green colours for the upper side camouflage, so here are a few shots of this phase of work.

At this point it was time to mix the greenish-brown general upper camouflage colour. Came out quite nicely; after the paint layer at this point had dried up, I detached the wings and the fuselage from the plastic frame, since I need to fit the fuselage together to match the grayish green camouflage patches on the seam, not to mention I need to smooth out and paint over the locations where the pieces were connected to their frame. Anyway, at this point it's already possible to fit the parts together to see how well they fit; here are the latest pictures of current stage of progress.

Here's a close-up shot of the canopy as it is right now. The clear sections are covered with tape - and it was a huge pain in the ass to get the tape cut well and proper so that it fits the canopy frames. This is always sort of critical phase on model making... when you get paint or thinner on clear plastic part, it won't be so clear any more.

Thread will be updated as the project progresses.  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:56:03 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Revell 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 model kit WIP [image heavy-ish]
Lookin' good!  Almost makes me want to dig out some of my never-finished models.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Cool!

I never had much skill on fiddly things like this though...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I wish there were 1:72 Freespace Models.  That would be cool.

Sweet!
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Looking good so far, been years since I've done kit-modelling :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Progress.

I mixed the darker green camouflage / splatter pattern colour and started on it today. After one coat, I'm not entirely happy yet but I've done worse. Let's just say that the Luftwaffe splatter pattern camouflage on their planes' sides is extremely challenging to make look good without an airbrush.

I sort of wish I had one, but they're far more expensive than paint brush... And I would need to learn the techniques that go with that sort of painting as well. :nervous:

Anyway, here are some shots of the progress on this fine airplane.

Something have to be said of this model's landing gear. It's awesome. I've never had a model where you can dry-fit the landing gear to the down position and it stays there, and actually supports the airplane. For a beginner modeler, this would be a great plane to start simply for that reason. :yes:

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Heh, the irony is that the real Bf-109's landing gear was a *****.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
It wasn't too bad really, not when it was properly maintained.

The Bf-109 landing gear was designed so that you could remove the wings entirely when the plane was sitting on it's gear, which reduced maintenance times significantly compared to airplanes that had their landing gear hard points in their wings. As a result though, the base width of the gear was very narrow; to make the wheels further apart the gear was made so that the struts didn't point directly down. The mechanism also dictated that the landing gear struts on down position point to the front and corresponding side, which increased the stresses that the gear had to withstand on landings, which was - along with lacking maintenance - part of the reason for landing failures caused by collapsing gear which hadn't locked into down position.

As far as use goes, the Bf-109 wasn't much harder than other contemporary airplanes to handle on ground and land. It worked just fine, but as the Germans started losing air superiority, they started to run out of experienced pilots who knew the tricks of the Bf-109 and knew how to teach them to new pilots. As a result, the percentage of Bf's lost in landing/ground accidents logically increased - but as far as I remember, so did their losses in the air and for other technical reasons like engines going kaputt in take-off due to sabotage at the work camps... or just going kaputt by themselves due to excessive running time.

Regarding model; I'm not too happy about the splatter patterns on the sides. I might sand them off and re-do them. Aside from that I think the green is a tad bit too dark, so I might do the same to it, but I'm still thinking about it.

Aside from that, I spotted a nice model in a shop two days ago; 1/24 scale Ferrari 430 Spider at five euros. Last box of it's kind, too. Had to buy it even though I'm not that big on the car model kits. I'll start work on that one when I get the Bf-109 done. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, it kinda makes me want to break out my half-painted Warhammer Dark-Elf army.

I rarely played, I just loved painting them :D

I like it...  I loved those huge 1/32 planes.  :D
I've got a quite a few models I've accumulated over the years (second hand store finds).  And to do cars you pretty much require an airbrush for the body.
Another idea I remember reading is to vacuform a clear canopy out of the existing one.  It'll be more accurately thick and clearer.

Isn't Revell part of Monogram-Revell now?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well, the model is now finished. Despite some problems with getting a bit too thick layer of paint on top of wings and serious assembly trouble with landing gear (my fault, not the model's), I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

First, though, a few photos of final assembly stages. Landing gear was somehow problematic to glue. First, the right landing gear's socket was softened by excess glue and gave some room for the landing gear to wiggle and it did not set right. After another attempt, more of the plastic softened and the landing gear strut's head deformed as well, and it got even mroe leeway and getting the glue to harden with the gear in correct position became almost impossible.

In the end I had to split open the strut from the landing gear's underbelly cover, carve a tunnel of sorts onto it, insert a piece of needle into the cavity and glue the part back together with liberal amounts of glue. After the part was hardened enough for the needle to become able to carry some weight, I padded the socket in the wing with tape and glue, put the needle on the hole and twisted the gear to correct position, after which I left the whole thing alone for a long time; long enough for the glue to harden, and now the landing gear is fairly nicely in place.

Oh, and in the process the left landing gear strut also snapped, but that was surprisingly easily fixed with just glue. :rolleyes:

I would probably have gotten better results by simply leaving the landing gear un-glued, as they were so nice to put in place before getting glue into the mix... you know the old saying, if it ain't broken don't try to fix it. :ick:

Here's how the gear looks in the end. A bit messy, but I've done worse... and the landing gear on real planes was rather grimy and dirty to begin with so this is not a big thing considering rest of the plane came out nice as hell.

Also, here is the panzer glass piece glued to place:

The edges are darkened with a black permanent marker to mimick the metal frame these things had. Not the most accurate thing but it's fairly obscured by the canopy glass anyway; as long as you can see the part is transparent as it should be, then it fulfills it's purpose.

After the gear had set to it's place, it was time to put the wing and fuselage together and then it was time for decals. Despite decals being something of hit-or-miss (damn the silvering!) I love this phase because it finally always brings the airplane to life; just the camouflage paint is usually not enough to make the plane look like a war bird.

Note the partially assembled aerials. They are basically one third from black thread (the thread I used has three strands that can be separated) to achieve desired diameter of the wire. And yeah I did put the vertical wire into the fuselage before applying the decals. I punched a hole to the decal with a needle and put the thread through it when putting the fuselage stripe decal on. It worked extremely well although it was somewhat difficult to get the wire through the small hole in the wet decal... ;)

Now to the good stuff... images of the finished model. Pics taken outside so there were plenty of light available. Enjoy!

The panzer glass giving off nice reflections here.

Note tread pattern on the tires. You can make wonders with a metal file...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Re: Revell 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 FINISHED [image heavy]
Pretty cool. You have talent.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Awesome!  :eek2:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Very nice indeed! Nice dry-brushing on the aileron edges, do that trick myself to add wear to them :)