Author Topic: Range Bug  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Naugrim

Hi I'm new and from germany - so please forgive me, if my english is worse.

I've got a Intel Core Duo E4600, 3 GB RAM and a ATI Radeon HD3400

Bab-Launcher build:
C:\Games\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod DOW,FREDer_package -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -missile_lighting -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -tbp -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 65

Ok - now my problem is, that the numbers in the HUD for the distance to a ship are disappearing for some seconds and the distance is false. For example - I fly to a ship and my HUD says 0 meter, but i'm not in front of the ship. And when I fly further towards the ship, the counter starts from 1000 meter - so 1000 meters are failing...sry it's not easy for me to explain it, I hope you understand what I mean.

Oh and this problem do I only  have with TBP.

Greetings from Germany

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hi there. You should get 3.6.10 Final Inferno, the Launcher that goes along with it, and the latest Zathras.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Danke und Welkommen :)

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem. We've got one or two German speaking forumites in case it's easier for you to speak native. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, there are quite a few people around here who speak german (I'm one of them, BTW). And yes, I've not seen that problem myself either. But since 3.6.9 is not supported anymore, we should start by seeing whether or not the problem is fixed in .10, and if it isn't, work from there.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Explain in deutsche that he needs to have a separate Zathras folder, and that his mods don't need to go in folders for TBP.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I would like to believe that the people asking for help are smart enough to read the installation instructions. There is always time to fix mistakes later, but for now, I remain optimistic.  :nervous:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Explain in deutsche that he needs to have a separate Zathras folder, and that his mods don't need to go in folders for TBP.

Whoa where did you get that one from??? Unless the installer put it in the root it should be in a mod folder.  Zathras should be extracted in the root directory and it will create the Zathras folder and put the files in the right spot and the 3.6.10 exes in the root folder.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
TBP mods don't need to go in folders because they add no tables or anything. The Campaign Pack puts them all in the root.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
The campaign pack contains the same stuff on the DVD and is thus installed in the same place the DVD puts them.  Any new stuff should be in a mod folder. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Naugrim

I've tested it with this build C:\Games\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_3_6_10_INF.exe -mod Zathras -spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -tbp -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 65

but nothing has changed.

Ok I explain it in german.

Also das Problem is, dass die Zahl die die Reichweite sowohl am Ziel als auch die in demunter linken Zielfenster nich richtig zählt. Beim Zählen verschwinden manchmal Zahlen, so dass z.B. nur eine überbleibt. Trotzdem zählt er weiter. Das größteprobem an der Sache is, dass die Reichweite nie richtig is - da fliege ich mal an nen Jäger im Dogfight ran, der zähler sagt mir 0 Meter und wenn ich näher ran fliege fängt der Zähler bei 100 an runter zu zählen. Dies gilt auch für größere Entfernungen. Da muss ich sagen wir - laut hud - 3000 Meter zum Schiff fliegen, komm ich dan auf 0 an, fehlen trotzdem noch 1000 Meter - und ab dortstarten der Zähler wieder.

Wenn das nur mit der falschen Entfernungwäre, hätte ich kein Problem damit, nur diese Aufflackernden und wieder verschwindenden Zahlen sind sehr störend. Ansonsten wird alles andere soweit ich das sehe korrekt dargestellt. Beim normalen FS2 open mit den Mods dazu is das alles kein Problem. Nur bei TBP hab ich das.

Hoffe ihr könnt mir helfen - danke schon mal im vorraus

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
He said:
The distance numbers both in the left corner as well as in the HUD is randomly changing and never correct. Sometimes numbers disappear and just one remains but he's still counting. For example, I am approaching a fighter and the thing says 0m and when I am closing in it jumps to 100, counting down from there. Same for bigger distances.
HUD tells me that I am 3000 m away and when I am at zero, 1000 are still missing and the counter restarts from there.
Everything else seems to be in order. Nothing like that in normal FS2 (with mods or not), it's a TBP only problem.

Der Fehler ist neu, hab davon noch nie gehört.
Ist im Launcher by "Gameplay" the flag "Toggle Features for TBP" aktiviert?
Hast du mal probiert deinem Grafiktreiber in Update zu verpassen? Ich weiß, ein Standartvorschlag aber ich frage besser mal.

Da es nur bei TBP passiert, TBP wiederrum aber im Prinzip nur FS2 mit anderen Schiffen, Waffen, Sounds etc ist und Entfernungsmessung ein Teil der ENGINE ist, tja...              
Das wird kompliziert.

English Summery of my post:
Told that I've never encountered that bug before. Asked about the "Toggle" flag in the Launcher. Asked about if he tried getting a new driver for the graphic card.
Told him that TBP is FS2 with new Ships and so on and that distance calculation is handled by the engine.
If it's not a graphic-related or setup-related problem, it could be a bug in FS2 SCP itself.

Danke und Welkommen :)

It's "Willkommen" and seriously, would you post "Thanks and welcome" in response to that post  :lol:?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:00:53 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
thanks for the translation VID
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Naugrim

Danke für die Übersetzung - hab gestern auch an Graka - Treiber gedacht und neueste draufgehauen - hat nich geklappt und aktiviert is das unter Gameplay auch (steht ja in meiner Auflistung: -tbp)... is echt komisch das Ganze

Aber ansonsten danke für die Tipps und Übersetzung.

Offline Naugrim

ok now that's WEIRD! I only tested Drums of War 1 before - but now I tested Achen Flightschool... The bug with the numbers appears there too, but also the Goals shown on the left are wrong. There stands in German "nothing", "Destroy Libra Wing", Destroy (i forgot the name) wing". But really Weird is that in the middle of the Screen shows up the text from Lt. Sniper from the first Spec Op missions - that you should scan the Iceni.....

And also ü,ö,ä are not shown in the HUD - ok I know that may be, because my Freespace 2 is the german version - but is that also there for the other bugs? :confused:

Offline captain-custard

ok not a critism really but can we whenever possible keep it in english  and if there is a huge problem and a language barrier send a quick pm, as now i have no idea if this is fixed or if the price of cheese has just gone down!
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline captain-custard

ok can we have a screenshot of your TBP folder, and can you post the fs2_open log here aswell , either attach it or paste it in "code" tags

And also ü,ö,ä are not shown in the HUD - ok I know that may be, because my Freespace 2 is the german version - but is that also there for the other bugs?

you do realise that TBP is a standalone and doesnot require FS2?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:11:49 am by andicirk »

Offline Naugrim

sry i just thanked him for translating the text.

can you give your e-mail adress or icq-number or so -because the fs2_open log is very looong -have also debug_filter.cfg and a errorlog.txt and i don't know what you need from that files

Offline Naugrim

sry i haven't noticed thati can attach something, but i can't attach the fs2_open log, cause itis 1,8mb huge

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline captain-custard

sry i haven't noticed thati can attach something, but i can't attach the fs2_open log, cause itis 1,8mb huge

just copy it and use the code tags use the # in the icons

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yes i'd post it in response. . As I did. :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png