Author Topic: Request: Save Points?  (Read 2217 times)

Request: Save Points?
Is anyone else tired of playing a particularly tough mission and then dying, only to have to play that same part over and over and over again? Or even the mission where you chase the Iceni, the first five minutes of the mission is just listening to the chatter. I got up a made a sandwich at one point. I get tired of listening to the same stuff over and over again. Is it just me?

Maybe some sort of checkpoint system ingame would help the missions run smoother. If not for the dying, then at least for the dialogue so i can get straight into the action.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Request: Save Points?
That is already possible and implemented in some newer missions.  It's up to the FREDder if he wants to use such a system or not though. 

Also you can use time acceleration to skip the boring parts.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
To clarify, the latter system (skipping dialogue) is implemented. Save points are not, at least not on a code level.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No but it is possible to FRED in the ability to skip to a "save point" in a mission.  As far as being able to save your game mid mission I doubt that will ever be a code feature or even a FREDded in one. 

FS2 is just not that kind of game.  Game play is already broken up into individual mission which are kind of like save points.  What's the point of playing a game if every time you make a kill you hit a key and save your status just in case the next AI kills you?  What if that cap you just let get destroyed will get destroyed no matter what?  You going to keep going to the last save point to see if you can keep it alive?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Ah, my nubbiness is showing. Gonna have to figure out how to do timeskips. But what i mean is that in certain missions, there is combat, then theres a long dialogue followed by more combat. Its really annoying when i die to have to do all  that over and over again. But, having never figured out the timeskip, i think i'll have something else to fiddle with. Gonna have to try that out. How do you do it?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You FRED a keypress that triggers the beginning of the combat events while preventing the dialogue events from occurring, moving ships into position if necessary. It's a wee bit tricky.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think he means time acceleration. The keys are user definable. Can never remember the defaults since I changed them to something else.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Uh, shift  > and shift <.

Those two keys Syphe suggested will cycle your primaries on default settings.

Okay, gotcha. Gonna have to try that. Especially since my user profiles got deleted when i reinstalled FS2 :[

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Uh, shift  > and shift <.

Those two keys Syphe suggested will cycle your primaries on default settings.

Can you tell me how you achieve > and < without hitting shift?  . and , cycle weapons < and > are time compression.  :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Uh, stickykeys!

I are dumbcakes.

Offline Snail

• SC 5