Author Topic: HOLY BACON! : Missions Which Blew Your Mind (Or Blew You Apart)  (Read 18363 times)

Re: HOLY BACON! : Missions Which Blew Your Mind (Or Blew You Apart)
seems like none of you have played the aeos affair :drevil:

I played through half of the first mission, so I don't think I qualify

Offline eliex

The folder is just sitting on my root directory untouched . . . I should get to playing it eventually.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
...Into the Lion's Den

Perhaps the best start to a mission ever, NOT TO MENTION the massive amounts of CARNAGE you get to spread about! How many other missions are there where you can knock out two Rakshasas in one setting  ;7 ?

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

That's been discontinuitied. :P

It's been refitted by the FSCRP IIRC.. or maybe I played the old version.. anyways.. the hardest campaign I've ever played.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

That's been discontinuitied. :P

It's been refitted by the FSCRP IIRC.. or maybe I played the old version.. anyways.. the hardest campaign I've ever played.
Really?  I just finally got through playing it for the first time, and there were only two or three missions that gave me significant trouble.  And I'm not exactly a top-notch pilot. :p

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
you played it on medium or higher?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hell no.  I'm an Easy man all the way. :p

Offline Tantalus53

• That one guy with the thing
    • Steam
Out of the dark, Into the night (FS1)

Pandora's Box

Monster in the Mist

(Forgets the one where you had to make a mad dash from the bastion to the Delta Serpentis -> Sol node)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
(Forgets the one where you had to make a mad dash from the bastion to the Delta Serpentis -> Sol node)
The Great Hunt :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Really?  The Great Hunt is the name of the mission you go after the Iblis and that other Shivan Cruiser with the Lysander and the Actium.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
There are a couple old missions that were up at Volition Watch years ago, before I knew about the SCP- one is a recreation of the Battle of the Line from Bablyon 5. Never seen the show, but the mission is beyond insane.
Another one (picked this one up recently, I assume it used to be at Volition Watch as well), was a re-enactment of the first-ever Shivan assault on Ross 128.
Evangelist- perhaps FS1 was more intense first time around when I was 10, but finally taking the fight against a Shivan destroyer had a certain "Hell yeah!" feel I've never quite shaken.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
A great deal of Transcend. Of course this applies most effectively if you're just playing it for the first time (and are fairly inexperienced at the controls):

Spoiler:
The GTCv Generation. With your slow Herc Mk 2 and that monstrosity coming at you full power (30m/s), it's enough to make you jump. Especially given the fact that it won't hesitate to beam you if you fall within AAA beam range!

It just keeps coming, like an unstoppable force...  :shaking:

Of course, once you've played Transcend, it's not as shocking in some respects, namely the one listed above. It actually is quite difficult on several missions if you up the difficulty... an 8-on-1 dogfight has a way of not turning out well for you.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In the original draft, the Generation was aptly named Persistence. A few references to that snuck into the final campaign before I pointed them out to Ransom.

It's a pity, because the old name captured everything about it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline eliex

It's probably because the Deimos in the "prequel" Sync was also named Persistence giving way to repetition issues.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Missions that blew my mind ... hmmm...
- Bearbaiting (FS2; too many objectives)
- Forced Entry (BP:AoA; too many ships to worry about)
- Keepers of Hell (BP:AoA; lots of flying about to pursue attackers)
- Wonderland (JAD:SSE; didn't know if I was supposed to be protecting the gtd harbringer or the GTD Bastion-A)

Missions that blew me up:
- Argonautica (FS2 - Killed by a shockwave from a Piranha-wielding SB Nahema while flying a GVF Horus; explains why I dislike both ships now)
- Return to Babel (FS2 - Beamed by the SC Sammael; I was trying to beat the cannon's charge rate)
- The Sicilian Defense (FS2 - Beamed by the NTC Alba; I flew right between the GVCv Hykso and it in a GTB Ursa)
- Apocalypse (FS2 - Supernova'd while flying a GTF Ares; a Seraphim distracted me for ten crucial seconds, with which I could probably have made it to Vega)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

One that really blew me up was the ITDOH Apocalypse, I stayed to ensure that triton made it out, I engaged me jump drive just before they did. I was in subspace, but apparently if a millimeter of your fin is still sticking out, you die.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
One that really blew me up was the ITDOH Apocalypse, I stayed to ensure that triton made it out, I engaged me jump drive just before they did. I was in subspace, but apparently if a millimeter of your fin is still sticking out, you die.

Yeah, happened to me too. Seriously ticked me off, especially after such a long mission.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Once, I died in Apocalypse because the supernova hit just as my jump hole was closing. My ship was ALREADY IN SUBSPACE, dammit! :mad:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Apocalypse pisses me off because the supernova warning gives you so much more time than you actually have. It starts at a minute, and when you play the FS2 campaign for the first time, it won't dawn on you to race for the Vega node for some time, and Command doesn't tell you to get the heck out until the timer says 50 sec or so. The supernova hits when the timer still has about 10 sec left, and since you will die if your warpout animation hasn't finished 100% when the shockwave animation triggers, that means hitting alt-J with less than ~17 sec left on the timer will result in death. Happened to me multiple times, so when I play that mission now I make sure I'm within about 2500 m of the node near the 12 minute mark, just to be safe.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Yeah, that happened to me too.

Now I just park myself at the node when the mission starts, and let my wingmen do everything else.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL