Author Topic: Best and Worst Game Endings  (Read 24247 times)

Re: Best and Worst Game Endings
WC4's ending was awesome.
Spoiler:
Tolwyn hangs himself in his jail cell in disgrace after being convicted of crimes against humanity.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Great Endings:

Fallout 3 (original Ending)

wat

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Worst:
Far Cry 2  after driving around killing respawning checkpoint mooks and completing the samey missions across Africa for a god awful amount of time...

Spoiler:
My options are: Blow myself up setting off some dynamite to block the military from attacking refugees or...  take a brief case full of diamonds to pay off the border guards so the same refugees can escape, then inexplicably shoot myself in the head....  WTF?!  I was tempted to hack the game and create option C Where I decided to take the brief case for myself, screw the refugees and go to a planet with naked sebacean girls and margarita shooters

By far this was the most stupid ending I have yet encountered.

Of course, you would have to suffer with Malaria for the rest of your life while on that planet with naked sebacean girls and margarite shooters
I don't think there would have been medecine there either. I didn't mind the ending. It's better then many others

Half-Life 2's story was garbage imo. Because there wasn't one. They threw you into the middle of the story and then you're supposed to care about what's going on even though you have no idea. As such the cliff-hanger didn't mean anything for me because there wasn't anything to care about. The episodes were better.  .  .

But for the most part I agree with Yahtzee, cliff hangars are stupid especially when said game may never get a sequel. Finish the story, and if you want a sequel then leave enough loose ends to allow for one. Don't just not finish the story.

I have a different opinion about Half-Life 2. To me, the story simply continued the power G-Man had over you. You were needed in a situation and you were pulled out to solve it.
Besides, the episodes wouldn't exist without Half-Life 2.

As for cliff hangers, it all depends on the deliverance of such ending.  If you get a game that simply drops dead, just like that... it's bad (in most cases but not all). Better cliff hangers ease you into the ending before pulling the plug

Rainbow Six: Vegas (One). Nice little lead off on that one
"No"

Offline mxlm

Of course Half-Life 2 didn't have much of a story; neither did Half-Life. The presentation was compelling, but the narrative itself was always extremely bare-bones. I mean, really; science experiment goes wrong, aliens invade, military attempts to kill everyone, fails, our physicist goes to another dimension, kills the alien leader, is enslaved.

And really, HL2's ending isn't a cliffhanger; what happens next is obvious,
Spoiler:
Gordon remains a slave. Until he dies. And chances are, the next time he's activated it'll be in a world as unrecognizable as HL2's was
. Now, okay, the episodes come along and change that, but the game, taken on its own, does have an ending. It's just, y'know, a downer. Also abrupt.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
But for the most part I agree with Yahtzee, cliff hangars are stupid especially when said game may never get a sequel. Finish the story, and if you want a sequel then leave enough loose ends to allow for one. Don't just not finish the story.

Like how CP ended The Procyon Insurgency? ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Worst:
Far Cry 2  after driving around killing respawning checkpoint mooks and completing the samey missions across Africa for a god awful amount of time...

Spoiler:
My options are: Blow myself up setting off some dynamite to block the military from attacking refugees or...  take a brief case full of diamonds to pay off the border guards so the same refugees can escape, then inexplicably shoot myself in the head....  WTF?!  I was tempted to hack the game and create option C Where I decided to take the brief case for myself, screw the refugees and go to a planet with naked sebacean girls and margarita shooters

By far this was the most stupid ending I have yet encountered.

Of course, you would have to suffer with Malaria for the rest of your life while on that planet with naked sebacean girls and margarite shooters
I don't think there would have been medecine there either. I didn't mind the ending. It's better then many others

I'm sure I would have had to pay Grunslik a Dominar's Ransom but, I think the Diagnosin probably could figure out a remedy. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd like to change my fave to wing commander 3/4. (Yes three quarters:nervous:)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
As for cliff hangers, it all depends on the deliverance of such ending.  If you get a game that simply drops dead, just like that... it's bad (in most cases but not all). Better cliff hangers ease you into the ending before pulling the plug

That's my problem with Assasin's Creed, it drops dead. Now one of the best cliff hangers I've seen is Legacy of Kain: Defiance, it neatly ends everything you've seen while at the same time it presents new things for a new game (if they ever decid to do one).

Of course Half-Life 2 didn't have much of a story; neither did Half-Life. The presentation was compelling, but the narrative itself was always extremely bare-bones. I mean, really; science experiment goes wrong, aliens invade, military attempts to kill everyone, fails, our physicist goes to another dimension, kills the alien leader, is enslaved.

Half Life had a beginning, it had a middle and an end. Ie a story. HL2 had no beginning. You're thrown in there, and suddenly you're fighting for what? Why is my character going around killing hundreds of soldiers and police officers? Yeah people's life is **** but sorry I need a little more backstory before I start mass murdering everyone.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'm sure I would have had to pay Grunslik a Dominar's Ransom but, I think the Diagnosin probably could figure out a remedy.

Once you got it, you got it

HL2 had no beginning. You're thrown in there, and suddenly you're fighting for what? Why is my character going around killing hundreds of soldiers and police officers? Yeah people's life is **** but sorry I need a little more backstory before I start mass murdering everyone.

There indeed was a beginning. It began with the reanimation of Gordan Freeman to which he is told that he is once again needed for his expertise (or something like that). Of course, it would make sense for everything to be confusing. You were just in stasis for a long time, and suddenly are thrown into a future and unreckonizable world. Wouldn't that make sense?

There was a backstory. During the time of the invasion of the aliens, a new martian group appeared and seized control of the planet. Kinda like the Nazis in World War II or in any occupation situation. The reason for your mass murdering is simply to overthrow the regime alongside rebels (this is the backstory, and in no way shape or form a spoiler).

Sounds like reason enough to kill people. Why would you let some random group of whatever they are take over what is reightfully yours?

"No"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
\
Far Cry 2 had no plot whatsoever.

That said, I found the resultant mindless violence very enjoyable.

There indeed was a beginning. It began with the reanimation of Gordan Freeman to which he is told that he is once again needed for his expertise (or something like that). Of course, it would make sense for everything to be confusing. You were just in stasis for a long time, and suddenly are thrown into a future and unreckonizable world. Wouldn't that make sense?

There was a backstory. During the time of the invasion of the aliens, a new martian group appeared and seized control of the planet. Kinda like the Nazis in World War II or in any occupation situation. The reason for your mass murdering is simply to overthrow the regime alongside rebels (this is the backstory, and in no way shape or form a spoiler).

Sounds like reason enough to kill people. Why would you let some random group of whatever they are take over what is reightfully yours?

You know this backstory how exactly? From Episode 1 I'm betting.

The point is, Gordon Freeman, the character, the person who you are supposed to be playing doesn't know any of this stuff. So why is he doing it? It's not his town, it's not his life, he's only been there an hour or so before he starts shooting people. Some cute chick asks him to go from A to B so he goes to B and takes out 100 or so guys along the way? All I'm saying is that the story didn't draw me in, at all. I didn't give a damn about the story until Episode 1 (ie when they explain it to you in plain english). And not only that, okay, HL1 he was at the experiment, he knows what's going on so he does it no questions asked. HL2 Gordon knows jack ****, the world's gone to hell, wouldn't he open his mouth to ask "hey, what the hell happened here?"

It doesn't help when some of the in-game assets are crap and take you out of the moment. Like, why aren't there any girl zombies? And why aren't the zombies dressed like the civilians are dressed? All the zombies dress like Black Mesa scientists. How hard is it to do a texture re-skin so that the clothes of the corpses match the new environment of the game. Most of these faults are unfortunate btw, because the in-game acting by the NPCs in that game is the best I've seen thus far. At least they got their act together for the episodes.

Anyway. I should contribute to this topic but I don't have any candidates myself. Most endings don't blow me away one way or the other . . .

Oh. I will say though, not to get stuck on HL but the the climatic battle from Half Life 2 Episode 2 was pretty awesome. The end of the episode, whoop-de-doo an okay cliffhanger, but the end battle was great.

Spoiler:
After the battle I'm walking into the base and people are like "good job freeman!" "thanks a lot freeman" and I'm saying to myself with a big grin on my face, "****ing rights I did a good job, WOOOOOO!"

FEAR:XP's ending was pretty good too, XP had much more atmosphere than the original game. Though that game is fundamentally flawed when it comes to trying to make you scared.  I'm not going to be scared if I'm a super soldier fighting a bunch of normal punks.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's still a stupid death. It's not heroic - just stupid.

Spoiler:
It becomes worse if you have Fawkes with you, who is immune to radiation but refuses to go in with a ridiculous excuse. Broken Steel lets him go in, although they still call him a "true hero" in the cutscene when all he did was flip a switch and nothing happens to him. :p

Gameplay-wise, it's also a bad idea due to the free-form nature of FO3. You have to do everything you want in the game before the final quest. I didn't even do the ending until Broken Steel came out so I could keep playing the game.

HL2 Gordon knows jack ****, the world's gone to hell, wouldn't he open his mouth to ask "hey, what the hell happened here?"

This has to be the worst aspect of the story. It's absurd how he never says anything. The other characters even ask him questions and then they realize he can't talk, so they answer the question themselves. :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Man has PhDs from MIT and has saved the world on multiple occasions, and all you can do is whinge about him having Aphonia.  Way to categorize someone based on their disabilities instead of their accomplishments... for shame. :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Man has PhDs from MIT and has saved the world on multiple occasions, and all you can do is whinge about him having Aphonia.  Way to categorize someone based on their disabilities instead of their accomplishments... for shame. :P

Second that!

And dont forget he can really use a crowbar!! He will come get ya!
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Best Ending:

Deus Ex, Helios ending.

Solitaire.

Worst Ending:

Freelancer, it was totally rushed and unfortunately it shows.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I freakin love Starlancers and Freelancers intros.....
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The intro's were cool, but this thread is about endings, which freelancer falls short.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Freelancers intro is Starlancers ending :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Trent is a hero, and the order sits to watch the node of the intergalactic trade network. Is that not an ending?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE