Author Topic: Oh man, this is bugging me  (Read 1353 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Oh man, this is bugging me
While looking at another thread in this section, I was reminded of a particular game from the same era.

Of course, nothing is easy. I don't remember the name (or at least, I thought I did). Turns out the name I thought it was all this time was false, or simply long forgotten.

It was an old game, 90's era, possibly closer to mid 90's. It was for Windows 95.

It started off with a black or tanned man in some sort of hover craft going towards an oil rig. He docks inside the oil rig, and makes his way to where he was needed.

Now before I continue, the style of the gameplay was a "Press the arrow key and the guy faces a certain direction". You couldn't move him yourself, but rather only choose predetermined paths.

When he arrives to the destination, the oil rig comes under attack by some faction and he is forced to go to the defense turret. You shot down helicopters and some sort of aircraft that has turbines keeping it up.

The woman you met then comes back to you after the assault is fought off. She tasers you while kissing you (how nice eh)

You wake up attached to a chair with some grown man talking to you. For some unremembered reason, they both get into a scrap which ends with both of them dieing. You go to the body, retrieve the arm weapon (attached the the lower portion, fires bullets) you had originally and make your way to the hanger. After several shoot outs that I recall to be hard since you can't just point and shoot, you need to time when you pop out. Since it does the shooting for you, you just need to get that split second where your guy doesn't get shot.

After disarming the bomb attached to the fighter (if you didn't, you would die and restart), you take off and fly away. In the background, the oil rig blows up.

Thus begins about 9 levels or so of on rails shooting. You just control the reticule and shoot down any of those turbine aircraft thingys and whatnot that gets in your way. To be more detailed, it shoots lasers.

After blowing up a sub, flying through a tunnel, going through mountains, you finally end up in some icy area where some secret base is found.

I don't remember much, just this one elevator part where you need to lock some guy who opens up with a grenade in his hand. If you don't kill him, he shoots you. If you kill him, the grenade is activated. You run, big explosion in the hallway, you die. What you needed to do is go to the panel and line up symbols to close and lock the elevator doors. Failure to do in a quick time limit, and you die.

That sums up the description. Any ideas?

EDIT: I recall it being 3D, and made by Sierra. However, I looked at the wiki page showing the list of games they have made, and nothing came up familiar.
"No"

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: Oh man, this is bugging me
Was it an FMV?

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Actually... now that you say that...

Ya, I think so.

EDIT: No, nevermind. After viewing examples (one my father played - Silent Steel) it's nothing close. Sprite based game.

I remember it coming in a package of CD's containing several games and programs for Windows 95. Silent Steel was included which reminded me of it
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:15:55 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Bah, rebel assault style :ick:

Not sure on the name though.....sorry pal.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
The game was "cyberia". Pretty cool, but also pretty difficult in the later stages. I enjoyed the first part, though never really get fond of the second :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Cyberia, fun stuff. :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
THAT'S IT!

Well, I was right on the name all along! I never thought of replacing the "S" in "Syberia" to a "C".
Thanks man. Glad someone remembered

You ever beat it?
"No"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yeah, I played the first one completly. I loved those 5 fly levels, and I hate that room with the four gunning enemies up to the current day :D

I played Cyberia 2 maybe 50%, somehow I got frustrated and stopped playing then
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
What do you have to do after you kill the guy in the elevator?

All I remember me doing was running about in circles with not clue where to go
"No"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I dunno, it's been more than 10 years since I played it, I only remember fragments. :)  If you are already at the cyberia base, look for clues in each room and the computers, what the cyberia project really is.  Avoid/kill all guards and get access to the final room where the cyberia project is located. Also google is your friend, there is certainly somewhere a walkthrough for the game :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Some games just don't get that far

I actually found one. I didn't know you could refuse kissing that woman!
Oh my, that would have made life on the rig that much more simple.
"No"