Author Topic: FS2 weapon pairing of choice?  (Read 15025 times)

Offline eliex

Re: FS2 weapon pairing of choice?
Circe+Tempest in a Thoth.

I have won every dogfight I've ever been in with that combo.

That sounds really interesting. I think I'll try that out in my next dogfight.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's annoying that (if I recall correctly) the main times for multi are when I'm not able to use the computer (read: very late night/dark part of the morning my time). I would like to go in a dogfight with lots of people to see what you use.

But I'm going off on a tangent. I like to use a mix of Subach+Prometheus S/Kayser and Harpoon+Tornado when I'm using fighters.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If you happen to find yourself in a match where everyone has given themselves Kaysers and Maxims, it might be an interesting choice to choose the Lamprey. :nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Snail, your sig is slowly deterorating. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If you happen to find yourself in a match where everyone has given themselves Kaysers and Maxims, it might be an interesting choice to choose the Lamprey. :nervous:

You used that on me to great effect once. Half the time, I found myself running out of energy. :)

Snail, your sig is slowly deterorating. :P

What, the "vectron" and "wai" bits? :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Herc 2:

Maxim/Kaiser

Harpoon/Tempest

Maxims shred turrets, the Kaiser knocks down fighters.

Harpoons are good by themselves; Tempests are used in conjunction with the Kaisers (or with the Maxim while assaulting a cruiser). Anything you're shooting at will soon not exist...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
By vectrons teeth!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What, the "vectron" and "wai" bits? :p

Yes. For awhile I thought Dekker was screwing with it, but then the Wai came along. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Subach-Kayser

Harp-Hornet
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Myrmidon with dual Prometheus-Rs and Hornets in all 3 banks :pimp:

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You wouldn't want to sharpshoot with a Prometheus R anyway, it's awful.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Sigtau, you make me laugh. :lol:

But yeah, the Prometheus R isn't all that good a weapon. It may look powerful if combined with a Subach, because it gives the impression that you're doing a spam attack, but it isn't really. Dual Subachs are slightly better, and that's what I use if I can't use the Prometheus S, Maxim, Circe or Kayser.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Don't worry I was kidding, the R is hands down the worst non-specialized primary in the game. The hornets have the worst missile tracking for an aspect-seeking missile. And the Myrmidon is 100% outclassed by the Perseus and arguably the Erinyes.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I like the subach.
I did experiment with weapon combos before though.

Maxim + morning star. They both have the same rate of fire so they're absolutely great to link together. Morning star takes out shields and maxim takes out the hull. I stayed away from it because a target that gets shaken up by the morning star takes longer to kill rather than a ship just trying to run away from you.

Circe + Prometheus R. Depending on what you hit dead on, it can be a one hit kill. One hit kills with this combination usually worked on light fighters. On non light fighters, it incurred some very good damage. I imagine this weapon combo would be even better when it's circe + kayser.

Subach + Akheton SDG. This one has it's uses. It's also pretty effective at disabling fighters. The subach being an all purpose weapon combined with the subsystem disruptor that's great for taking out shields and subsystems...it's weird to use. Basically you punch through shields pretty fast with this one, then the fighter your chasing starts suffering from subsystem failure depending on what subsystems you happen to be hitting. Most of the time you end up taking out the engines on a fighter really fast and maybe their radar too. You use this combination if you don't want any kills. You end up in situations where you have to kill all enemy fighters, and all you can do is disable them really fast and move on to the next while your wingmates kill your paraplegics taking your kills.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The hornets have the worst missile tracking for an aspect-seeking missile.

Perhaps, but they can still be very dangerous on slow targets. Watch how the Basilisks use them.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Prom S/Hornets/Harpoons/Tornados.

I like to use Hornets to pummel cruisers. Nothing kills cruisers faster. Well. Except for maybe Tempests and bombs.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The hornets have the worst missile tracking for an aspect-seeking missile.

Perhaps, but they can still be very dangerous on slow targets. Watch how the Basilisks use them.
Yeah, I cringe every time I see a wing of Hornets jump into a mission where I'm protecting freighters or transports.  At least you can shoot down bombs, but those things just tear light targets apart.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Harpoons are good by themselves; Tempests are used in conjunction with the Kaisers (or with the Maxim while assaulting a cruiser). Anything you're shooting at will soon not exist...

You can use Maxim/Tempests against fighters as well, which can actually be more effective than the Kayser against many types of AI fighters (unless you have a quad gun bank). My online co-op kill counts went up significantly in several missions when I started using the Maxim on fighters.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And the Myrmidon is 100% outclassed by the Perseus and arguably the Erinyes.

I must contest this.  The Myrm is only outclassed by about 50%.  Just ask QD about that ;)