Author Topic: Whats the point in destroying subsystems?  (Read 5357 times)

Offline FSW

Whats the point in destroying subsystems?
That would explain a lot, 67Gw. :)

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
On Fighters and Bombers

Disabling Weapons - If disabled, primary and secondary weapons will not fire.

Disabling comms - If disabled no communication is possible (but you can still request a repair ship. Cute)

Disabling sensors - Destroys your radar.  Can't see any ships on it and cannot lock on missiles.

Disabling Engine - Self explanatory

Disabling navigation - Warp drive inoperative.

On Captial Ships:

Disabling Weapons: Targeting trashed.

Disabling Engine: Self explanatory

Disabling Comms -  to be able to prevent reinforcements from arriving. (Supposedly)

Disabling Sensors: Capships cannot gain missle lock on your ship (supposedly)

Disabling Navigation: Warp drive inoperative (Supposedly)

The cap ship subsytems for Navigation, Communications, and Sensons don't see to be affected much if anything at all.

Thoughts?
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Originally posted by IceFire

When weapons are destroyed or damaged, weapon accuracy is reduced (note: this probably does not affect beams - if it does, its a very minimal effect).

AAA beams become wildly inaccurate and pretty useless if you take out the parent ship's weapons subsys.

Also, if you take out its comm, I don't think you can give it orders (some capships can be set to take orders from the player).

Finally, has anyone looked into this some more, now that the source has been released?

I know it's kinda spoiling the impression of technolegy onboard FS ships, but wouldn't it be better just to get someone to aim the turrets manually at enemy ships? Sensors seem a bit of a waste for targeting weapons, they would be better used finding info about enemy ships, which they already do i suppose.  The only place sensors are really useful are in the nebula, where there's low visibility.

pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Nuclear1

Ok...... here I go

If you take out the weapons subsystem of a ship (most notably a Destroyer or corvette), weapon accuracy will decrease dramatically. This is especially usefull on bombing missions, where having each and every bomb hit a ship is vital.

Taking out engines prevents a ship from moving (duh).

The rest does absolutely zilch, though maybe Nav does screw with the a ship's flight path. (two Lliths ramming each other to death :D)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by _argv[-1]

AAA beams become wildly inaccurate and pretty useless if you take out the parent ship's weapons subsys.

I have yet to notice that... at least on insane...