Author Topic: Whats the point in destroying subsystems?  (Read 5361 times)

Whats the point in destroying subsystems?
There are a few subsystems i have yet to see a point in attacking, obviously knocking out engines disables a ship but what about sensors? what effect does that have?. Also, i have taken out reactors and weapons subsystems on Rakshasa and they still keep firing beams at me :confused:  could someone fill me in on the effect of taking out each subsystem?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
mission related objectives, nothing else, unfortunately
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Disabling Weapons - reduces speed & accuracy of firing
Disabling comms - not sure, maybe affects your ability to order wingmen with damaged comms (useful for mission plots, though)
Disabling sensors - affects ability to detect enemy ships, may also prevent beam fire (I believe sensors are required to fire a beam)
Disabling reactor - paralysyses weapons and engines IIRC
Disabling navigation - not sure... maybe affects speed of movement and use of waypoints.  

Mostly, subsystems are good for scripting FRED :):ha:

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/

Disabling Weapons - reduces speed & accuracy of firing

* Probably right, though I think its damage and accuracy

Disabling comms - not sure, maybe affects your ability to order wingmen with damaged comms (useful for mission plots, though)

* Affects the ability to issue orders to that ship, if its damage to your own ship, it completely prevents issuing any order except rearm/repair. It also prevents you from hearing in-game messages, scripted or embedded.

Disabling sensors - affects ability to detect enemy ships, may also prevent beam fire (I believe sensors are required to fire a beam)

* I don’t believe it prevents beam-fire, but it will decrease sensor ability, such as ship tracking (ie not necessarily weapon accuracy, just chance that the turret will see you),

Disabling reactor - paralysyses weapons and engines IIRC. Fighters/bombers turns off radar.

* No effect – A scripted only event, used mainly for the Lucifer, but there is one on the Hatshepsut for some reason.

Disabling navigation - not sure... maybe affects speed of movement and use of waypoints.

* Fighters/bombers – causes inability to fire navigation thrusters, thus turn.

But like Aldo said, it is mostly events created in FRED. But things like engines and AWACS' sensors are hardcoded.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
ah, so I said crap. sorry :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Subsystem Damaging on fighters:
Weapons: Unable to fire weapons at all if destroyed, weapons act weird if damaged more than 50%
Comms: Kills ability to give orders over the [C] menu other than calling support once destroyed.
Engines: Explains itself, you're dead in space when destroyed.
Sensors: No Radar when destroyed, fizzles starting at 40%
Nav: No apparent effect on fighters.

Subsystem Damage on Cap Ships:
Weapons: If destroyed, accuracy of beam and/or lasers is fried.
Comms: Nothing
Engines: Disabled
Sensors: Same as Weapons
Nav: Preventing subspace travel?
Reactor: Cheesy Lucifer copycats, does nothing to my standpoint.
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Reactor does have an effect.... I was testeing the Scylaa Vs a Deimos.  About halfway through - an even match - the Deimos took out the reactor with a slash beam.  almost immediately afterwards, the Scylla just stopped moving and firing - paralysed.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you destroy the reacotr on, say, a Moloch (that has one I think), you'd get a similar result.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I just decided that the reactors were backup units to be used in case the main engines failed. ;)

Reactor does have an effect.... I was testeing the Scylaa Vs a Deimos. About halfway through - an even match - the Deimos took out the reactor with a slash beam. almost immediately afterwards, the Scylla just stopped moving and firing - paralysed. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you destroy the reacotr on, say, a Moloch (that has one I think), you'd get a similar result.

That's strange; it does not seem to have any effect on the Hatshepsut or Moloch without scripting. (or the Lucifer, for that matter)

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Every subsystem has an effect on your ship but engines, sensors and weapons ONLY have effect on enemy warships. I've tried all them out. :nod:

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Whaddya mean? if you get your engines blown out, you stop moving. And if you get the sensors shot, you have no more radar.

Same with weapons.
I don't get it, what do you mean only on enemy warships. They work on all ships, no matter the iff, class, or if you are flying it or not.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by Stunaep the WHADDYA guy

Same with weapons.
I don't get it, what do you mean only on enemy warships. They work on all ships, no matter the iff, class, or if you are flying it or not.

Like I have tried it: what's the point of shooting out enemies comm (not in FRED) or sensors? I assure you. It has absolutely NO EFFECT!!! :ha: :D

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
You just said, that shooting out sensors only has effect on enemy warships. Now you say, that it doesn't do anything. :sigh:

And what about other ships, shooting out engines works also on friendly ships as well. And fighters too. Not only enemy warships.
:sigh: :sigh:

I'm sorry, i'm getting confused here.

BTW, you should delete that empty post of yours
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
All i know is that, when I made my first warship, it needed sensor to fire its main beam.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by Stunaep

I'm sorry, i'm getting confused here.

BTW, you should delete that empty post of yours

Now I'm confused too.

and the empty post is deleted... :D

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Reactor does have an effect.... I was testeing the Scylaa Vs a Deimos. About halfway through - an even match - the Deimos took out the reactor with a slash beam. almost immediately afterwards, the Scylla just stopped moving and firing - paralysed. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you destroy the reacotr on, say, a Moloch (that has one I think), you'd get a similar result.

That has nothing to do with a subsystem.  FS2 AI on capital ships makes them start to circle each other.  More often than not (if both ships are set to attack each other) both ships will slow and stop.  Maybe one first and then the other.

Dave Baranec (could have been Adam Plecher too), FreeSpace 2's programmer posted a message on the VBB years ago.  Only Weapons and Engines have any effect on the operation of a FreeSpace 2 capital ship.  The rest are there for design purposes (you could script a ship not jumping to subspace if its navigation system was out for instance - that has no defined value in the game by default).

When weapons are destroyed or damaged, weapon accuracy is reduced (note: this probably does not affect beams - if it does, its a very minimal effect).  When the engines are damaged and destroyed, the maximum speed is reduced and then set at 0.

Those are THE ONLY subsystems that have any effect on FreeSpace 2 capital ships.  The rest can be scripted and the Reactor subsystem on a few capital ships serves no purpose at all.  It has the same effect as the subsystem named CANDYSTORE.  And that is nothing.

Right :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Originally posted by IceFire

It has the same effect as the subsystem named CANDYSTORE.  And that is nothing.

Aww man! i've been shooting at that for YEARS! :(

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
:D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by IceFire

That has nothing to do with a subsystem.  FS2 AI on capital ships makes them start to circle each other.  More often than not (if both ships are set to attack each other) both ships will slow and stop.  Maybe one first and then the other.

Well, it didn't fire atall, during that period.  AFAIK, the reactor was the only thing that had changed with the ship - it was holding it's own with the Deioms, when it stopped inflicting damage (Deimos was at 50%) when it's reactor was downed.  Niether ship, incidentally, circled each other - both went straight ahead until the Scylla stopped, and the Deimos sat alongside.  Possibly because of the range between the 2.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I think they all have meaning on a fighter, though. Lose sensors and you can't target, lose weapons and you recticle will probably go away, lose comm, and well, no comm, and engines, well, you know.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Navigation loss makes Cruisers and above go all screwy :) I did this once, and a Cain flew right into a STATIONARY Demios :) and it was ordered to fly over it...
"I swear, if I get caught in some little nook or some little crannie the next time that ship jumps to warp, I'll kill something." - Me, ten seconds after being caught infront of the fighter bay of an orion.