Author Topic: Downtime coming September  (Read 21927 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Downtime coming September
Game Warden and Hard Light Productions will be moving to another server September. The reasons for this are purely financial. Our standing host still charges original sum monthly and we've been unable to negotiate a transfer to better server (we have need for more RAM) for same price or price reduction for our current server.

Expected downtime should be no longer than say, two or three days because DNS update needs to propagate to your DNS server. But expect Mr. Murphy to have a ball on this one, I know I do. I will announce date for the downtime as soon as I know it myself. However, it may be on short notice depending on circumstances, such as scheduling it around real-life. I know some of you will have strong withdrawal effects due to the downtime, but as we rely solely on ads and goodwill donations by admins and community alike, we want to make sure the few bucks are not wasted on overpriced server.

If you want to work on your projects during downtime, I strongly suggest to download whatever you need from our ftp as soon as possible.

Don't forget that you can keep in touch with the community on IRC via your favorite client or Mibbit.

Update 1: Looks like the downtime will begin either on September 1st (Tuesday) or 2nd (Wednesday).
Update 2: There will be longer downtime for FS2Netd as taylor has busy real-life schedule and may not be around to set it up right after the move.
Update 3: HLP's move will commence within 24 hours. GW's schedule is up to MatthewPapa.
Update 4: We're on new server!
Update 5: Hosted project sites are yet to set up. I apologize for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:51:07 am by Fury »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Downtime coming next month
Back up any content that you really need to keep (posts with valuable information or whatnot.) Can't imagine what those would be, but it can't hurt, right?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Incidentally you can use "Print" button that is in bottom right corner of every topic. It outputs a text-only page you can save on HDD or print. :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If you know what it's going to be can you post the new IP before the site goes down so we don't have to wait for DNS to update. 
* FUBAR-BDHR foresees major withdrawal symptoms. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
At least we have a backup to get our daily fix.  To the IRCcave, Robin!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm guessing the wiki will also be down in this time?
What's the easiest way to save info from the wiki onto a harddrive?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline gavilatius

• kicking butt... gradius style
aww, ok, i guess i can work on my project... now
any one beat the last boss yet?

You could set up a reverse proxy in the meantime to prevent DNS headaches.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I'll have to re-work my bookmarks?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline eliex

It seems to be the case.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Why would you need to change your bookmarks?  Transferring to a different physical server won't affect the site's domain name in the least.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
What is basically means is that the IP address of the Server is going to change, and it's going to take time for any routers between you and HLP to receieve the new IP address as it filters through their tables. The further you are from HLP, the longer the wait until it can be found again, but even then, it shouldn't be that long, the system works quite effectively.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
We'll have to cope. . . So bookmarks will be the same, but the IP will change?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline gavilatius

• kicking butt... gradius style
so will it be the same url?
any one beat the last boss yet?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes, the URL will be identical, for people who have it bookmarked, nothing will change, you just might have trouble getting through for up to 24 hours until all the links between you and HLP know what route to take :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
HLP = a house.

www.hard-light.net = P.O. Box.

You have always accessed HLP via the POB. That will not change. It's just where that POB will send things that's changing.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Are there any specific dates for when this move will occur?

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I will announce date for the downtime as soon as I know it myself..
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Will HLP IRC still be up during the downtime?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Probably, it's hosted on the EsperNet servers.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.