Author Topic: Official Volition statement...  (Read 30107 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Official Volition statement...
But sometimes it gets born up here :D.  Seriously, if we got too far off topic, we can always split it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Um, there's no "we" here.  Myself, Wanderer, or one of the global mods/admins are the ones who would have to go through the bother of splitting, so I speak for all of them when I strongly suggest that you not require us to do so on a regular basis. ;)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
In this (and most) case(s) prevention is better than cure.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Would it be ethical to pay GoG money for 100 copies of FS2 if they agree to log it down as 1000?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think that would work, since some whistleblower (or normal audit) would probably assume somebody gave away 900 for free. And falsifying reports is bad.

Would it be ethical to pay GoG money for 100 copies of FS2 if they agree to log it down as 1000?

What would be the point of that?
Why not just promote it, get more people playing. Though biggest promotion is probably GoG itself.

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Getting it off wikipedia's list of free space sim games is probably a good first step. Prevents them newbs all asking 'where can I dl this free'. Well maybe we should have the demo DLable for free somewhere...

EDIT: Its been taken off. Sorry

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
... Why would you do that ?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Kie99

So they will make FS3 lol
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to feel like the cure for ignorance isn't education, but fire.

FreeSpace, as a commercial product, is defunct, relegated for the rest of its days to the bargain bin, eBay, and digital distribution sites.  Enjoy the games that were made.  Partake in the third-party content.  But for the love of all you consider sacred, stop asking about the damn sequel that will never be.

If you buy a hundred, a thousand, or a trillion copies on GoG, FreeSpace 3 will not be the result.  An executive at Interplay will scratch his head, when he sees the curiously large royalty cheque, cross his fingers that it doesn't bounce, and then go about ordering a ****ty, rushed sequel to a game you never cared about in the first place.  Why?  Because Interplay does not hold the rights necessary to develop a new FreeSpace title, and THQ isn't going to have one of their in-house development studios (i.e. Volition) work on a game for their competition.  FS3 will not happen, because it cannot happen.

Nine years, almost to the day, and somehow the reality hasn't hit people yet.  That's what I call f'n slow.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to feel like the cure for ignorance isn't education, but fire.

FreeSpace, as a commercial product, is defunct, relegated for the rest of its days to the bargain bin, eBay, and digital distribution sites.  Enjoy the games that were made.  Partake in the third-party content.  But for the love of all you consider sacred, stop asking about the damn sequel that will never be.

If you buy a hundred, a thousand, or a trillion copies on GoG, FreeSpace 3 will not be the result.  An executive at Interplay will scratch his head, when he sees the curiously large royalty cheque, cross his fingers that it doesn't bounce, and then go about ordering a ****ty, rushed sequel to a game you never cared about in the first place.  Why?  Because Interplay does not hold the rights necessary to develop a new FreeSpace title, and THQ isn't going to have one of their in-house development studios (i.e. Volition) work on a game for their competition.  FS3 will not happen, because it cannot happen.

Nine years, almost to the day, and somehow the reality hasn't hit people yet.  That's what I call f'n slow.

HOORAY FOR LOGIC!!!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Sometimes, it's best to simply forget about logic and hope for things unachievable.

I'd go for another Space Sim though. The IL-2 Sturmikov(sp?) demo just isn't cutting it for me
"No"

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The Sturmikov: It's like the Sturmovik... only misspelled!  :lol:

Sorry, and no offense. I couldn't help that one...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Sometimes, it's best to simply forget about logic and hope for things unachievable.

How thick are you?  Eternal hope leads to ongoing disappointment, and if you're not careful, that will turn you into a jaded, bitter figure.

For example, I can hope that you pass a kidney stone the size of Charon, and die in the process.  That won't happen, though, so if I do hope for that, I'll be disappointed, when I see you continue to post such idiocy, and it will really wear on my last nerve, when whatever gibbering twats you may eventually spawn in your wake start blithering on about their FS3 hopes and dreams.

Trust me, when you have to put up with a couple more years of morons raising hopes for FS3, you'll get pretty tired of such insipid crap.

It's been nine years since the last change in the state of FreeSpace's legal limbo, and that change was one for the worse.  Deal with reality, or at least shut your gob about your ridiculous fantasy.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was out of line, man.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Sorry, and no offense. I couldn't help that one...

Hey, at least I had all the letters correct

How thick are you?

What a great start to your debate. Insult the opposition.

But hey, it's understandable since you are already that bitter person you have described.

Deal with reality, or at least shut your gob about your ridiculous fantasy.

It's almost as though you were there, did that, and came back.

Now, let me explain.
I know the chances of it ever being pursued is 0%. I know FS3 will never become a reality. You insulting me for simply hoping that one day (could be 30 years) that the space sim genre will make a comeback is rather juvenile. Sure you may be annoyed, but that's you, and as far as I am concerned... I don't care what you have to say. I may be an idiot for hoping for a space sim (notice I never mentioned FS3 in my previous post? Do read it again just to make sure) but a space sim is more probable then FS3.

"you'll get pretty tired of such insipid crap"

Unlike yourself, I don't mind people hoping for things. It's their opinion, and I am in no position to tell them to think otherwise. You are not either

EDIT: I am not trying to start a argument, I am simply explaining my opinion of this matter
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
How thick are you?  Eternal hope leads to ongoing disappointment, and if you're not careful, that will turn you into a jaded, bitter figure.

On the other hand, you can already be a bitter, jaded figure apparently. Pick one.

Seriously man, ragging on people for hoping is about as evil as it gets.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Well , about the right owned by whoever, i think if space sim come back from the deeps of the market, That would end up with another game (freespace like but not freespace itself) .

$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That was out of line, man.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with hoping for FS3. When you go beyond hoping and start thinking that you can find out the answers from emailing :v: and interplay then you move closer to delusion. But there is nothing wrong with hoping that it will surprise you one day by appearing as long as you realise that the chances of it happening are very low.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

It's been nine years since the last change in the state of FreeSpace's legal limbo, and that change was one for the worse.  Deal with reality, or at least shut your gob about your ridiculous fantasy.

Aren't you the guy who PMed me about FO3?

Isn't Fallout 3 one of those games, where Interplay had the rights, and they leased or sold them to another company?
Just like Interplay has the rights to Freespace, and could sell them to another company.