Author Topic: Official Volition statement...  (Read 30105 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Official Volition statement...
None of that is important. It was still a pretty scary situation and the HLP administration took it very seriously (to the point where someone, I believe Kara, wrote to GoG, and I think his letter got read...not sure though, he'd have to corroborate.)

The offending individual got banned at the time, for one.
It was me who wrote GoG a letter (actually an email), and the individual wasn't banned.  But he did get a stern talking-to from karajorma, realized he massively screwed up, and kept a low profile after that.  Meanwhile, GoG sent me back a very nice relaxed reply, effectively saying that they didn't take offense and no harm was done, and thanking us for our support.

All in all, it worked out okay, and may have even given us brownie points with the GoG staff, since they later asked us if we'd like to participate in their affiliate program.  We would have loved to, but it ended up not working out for bureaucratic reasons.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:53:49 pm by Goober5000 »

That's interesting stuff. you guys should add a big long history of the HLP to the Wiki.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Eh. I should just interview the oldest members on the forum and be done with it.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Chris Taylor
 to me

show details 10:08 AM (6 hours ago)

Hi Silverleaf:

Like Volition, we would like to see more Freespace. We're working on other titles at the moment. We don't discuss out plans for unannounced titles, so I really don't have anything else to tell you unfortunately. Hopefully, someday, there will be another game.

There is a forum to discuss Freespace here:

http://www.interplay.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=47

The more discussion and feedback that occurs there, the better the chance of a sequel.

Thanks for writing,
-Interplay

----------------------------------
Due to the overwhelming amount of spam received, we can no longer respond to direct replies to this email. Please do not reply to this email. If you have further questions, please use the customer service contact form on our website found here:

http://www.interplay.com/support/customer_service.php

For faster service, copy and paste the text of this email into your new customer service request. Thank you.

Cool beans.
Maybe sales on GoG have warmed them to the concept. Or maybe they're just giving all smiles and don't really have it in their plans.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Cool beans.
Maybe sales on GoG have warmed them to the concept. Or maybe they're just giving all smiles and don't really have it in their plans.

Dude. If they said "There won't be FreeSpace, you won't check out their website once in a while, if they say, hmmm maybe, then u will on ocasion.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Arrrghhh! Those forums look soo... UGLY!

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Yeah they're ugly but more worksafe than this forum.

Arrrghhh! Those forums look soo... UGLY!

hey looks like FSMods forums.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hi Silverleaf:

Like Volition, we would like to see more Freespace. We're working on other titles at the moment. We don't discuss out plans for unannounced titles, so I really don't have anything else to tell you unfortunately. Hopefully, someday, there will be another game.

There is a forum to discuss Freespace here:

http://www.interplay.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=47

The more discussion and feedback that occurs there, the better the chance of a sequel.

Thanks for writing,
-Interplay

O, hello there, canned, non-committing response. Seriously, this does say nothing at all about whether or not they wish to do a new FreeSpace. I would imagine you'd get much the same response when you ask BioWare about a new Jade Empire, or Namco about new Xenosaga.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Yeah, I've seen a lot of complaints about the PC version of SR2. Most of those good reviews are for the console versions.

Yeah but that is because console gamers seem to expect less than PC gamers. Dunno if it's true but it seems that way.
Also I think that a new team working on FS3 would be fine, as long as they got the old story writers back and possibly some guys to make sure the tone of the game would be the same.
But I can't really imagine what you could do to the engine on modern computers, but I reckon massive battles would be easier to create without slowdown  ;) ;)
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
O, hello there, canned, non-committing response. Seriously, this does say nothing at all about whether or not they wish to do a new FreeSpace. I would imagine you'd get much the same response when you ask BioWare about a new Jade Empire, or Namco about new Xenosaga.

I wouldn't say that. It seems like they're interested in how much attention and discussion the series is generating.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I wouldn't say that. It seems like they're interested in how much attention and discussion the series is generating.

I'm sure Interplay hasn't failed to notice the fact that Freespace is one of GoG's apparent top sellers on a consistent basis.

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Surely a combination of that and a large modding community should show everyone that it was a great game and if made right it would sell well. The main reason FS2 didn't was that it wasn't well advertised at the time.

But I don't actually think it would sell well at this time, maybe of the PC market but it doesn't seem to be a console game. Then again if it was made into a console centred game then it would not be worth it.

That said I did think that what should happen is the game should be released to be sold to a mass market and then a separate, free campaign be made for the true fans.  :D :D But I somehow can't see that happening.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If anything of value was to be obtained from e-mailing Volition... it would be asking for something actually insightful... say, a brief interview on the HLP, perhaps. In which, perhaps we might manage to get Mr. Kulas to sit down and have a conversation with a good interviewer/interviewers. I'd be curious to know what the original prompt for FS would say about our endeavors. An interview between Dan Wentz and Darius about "the music and times of FreeSpace" would be a good read, too.

The "fan-spam" is old news. Anyone who's just played FS or FS2 is curious about a sequel. But unless there's a glaicer in Hell somwhere, an "official" sequel is not going to happen any time soon. Of course you'll get a quaint, polite response from the developer's secretary. And the company's staff might even want to do a sequel... However, remember the job of that said secretary is to respond in kind to any inquiry, hopefully answer a question, and keep your hopes up. Organizations like to have a good set of fans. Who doesn't?

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Someday there shalt be a second theatrical coming of a Star Wars esque space movie and on that day all the Wing Commanders and X-Wings and Freespaces of the world shall rise from the dead and walk the Earth. Amen!  :pimp:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken