Author Topic: Minbari Fighters  (Read 3130 times)

What are people's thoughts on the minbari fighter's in the hands of the AI?
I haven't played the EACW demo in a long time but for the most part I remember getting slaughtered.

Do people think that fighter-to-fighter beams are too powerful in the hands of the player or the AI? Just wondering if the AI is balanced such that that player's ability do dodge enemy fire depends upon the weapon-fired not being instantaneous hits.

This isn't really a knock against the Minbari or TBP balance. Just a question about fighter-to-fighter beams in general (with the possibility in mind of implementing them in other mods).

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Do people think that fighter-to-fighter beams are too powerful in the hands of the player or the AI? Just wondering if the AI is balanced such that that player's ability do dodge enemy fire depends upon the weapon-fired not being instantaneous hits.

This is, in fact, more or less the case. The way it works right now is that the AI is always aiming somewhere in a cone centered directly on the correct place to shoot the player. For high-speed weapons where dodging the projectile once fired is impossible, this means that the chances of being hit depend almost entirely on the size of the cone (based on the AI's accuracy score) and not at all on the ability of the player to dodge.

Put another way: you can currently dodge projectiles if they are slow enough, but you can't dodge the AI's aim. Jinking may avoid a slow projectile, but it will never throw off AI aim. If the AI is going to miss, it will miss whether or not you are trying to avoid fire.

I'm actually working on a solution for this right now, with Diaspora in mind. :) The basic idea is that it will be possible to add some lag to the AI's aim, so that if you change directions suddenly it will take the AI a second to adjust. My current plan is to have the amount of lag be configurable as a "max aim update delay" parameter or somesuch, with the actual lag randomly selected between 0 and the specified max. So, if you set a max aim update delay of 2 seconds, it will take the AI up to 2 seconds to compensate when you suddenly change your velocity vector (one second on average).

This may sound a lot like $Predict Position Delay, but as it turns out $Predict Position Delay doesn't affect AI aim at all. As far as I can tell, it only matters when evading another ship or avoiding collisions with them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:56:12 pm by Sushi »

Offline -Norbert-

I don't know if it's the same for the AI, but the player gets a lead indicator in front of the target depending on target speed and direction, even though the beam has no travel time.
If the AI fires at were the player would get his lead indicator it will always miss, unless the player is flying straight at the enemy or straight from it (or closer than 100 meters directly behind a firing Nial, if you suffer form the same bug I do....).

Considering it is only hard, not impossible to beat minbari fighters, I'd say this is really the case in the game right now.

Offline djsf35

But according to the show minbari fighters were killing aurora fighters left and right so should not be the same in the game

But according to the show minbari fighters were killing aurora fighters left and right so should not be the same in the game

Yeah but also according to the novels Commander Sinclair shot down 30+ Minbari Fighters during the war so they certainly are killable.

Here are my 5 cents,

after finishing Fortune Hunter 2260 yesterday where you actually fly a Nial vs. Shadow Spitfires I think the Nial is definitely a tad to strong or the other way around a Shadow fighter is to weak. The hitscan weapons of the Nial give it one hell of an advantage and you roast 25 - 30 Spitfires with ease in that mission. Spitfires gun refire rates are way to slow anyway. Those shots have alot of power if they hit, but I would reduce that a bit and increase the refire rate instead. The B5 episode dealing with B4 demonstrates quite clearly that a Shadow fighter should be able to fire faster than it does in TBP.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
there's an EACW demo?

I'm sorry if this sounds n00bish but is there a link?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

there's an EACW demo?

I'm sorry if this sounds n00bish but is there a link?

Oh sorry. My bad.
I meant EMW demo.

EACW shouldn't have any Nial involvement anyway. Though, I thought I remember hearing about a demo for that in another thread. Maybe not.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I still really want it lol

Sure, no problem.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE