Author Topic: Freespace 3, economic risk or savior of space sims?  (Read 18273 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Freespace 3, economic risk or savior of space sims?
Perhaps so. I'm almost surprised he missed the programming nod... then tried to counter with calling that improper.

...And given that most people have no programming experience, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. You'd think they could try to be a bit more precise with language though... it just makes it seem they don't really care what they're writing about. For example, I'm not a native French speaker, but if I were on a French board I'd do my best to make myself understood. Using the shift key and punctuation marks goes a long way.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Programm...
Dammit Thaeris got there first.  ;)
But yeah I'm not surprised that not many people picked up on that, programming is not really a common skill in most people.
Also about grammar, I think that a lot of people don't write properly on the internet, I doubt he writes like that IRL. But on the other hand good English is crucial for people to take you seriously.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline eps200

Programming isn't proper grammar though is it? If your going to be a grammar Nazi your post needs to be beyond criticism.

If it upsets you that much ill be more careful but most forums I've been on no one cares so long as your post isn't along the lines of:

omg Teh gam3 is 1337

On topic that mod i posted a link too is the best attempt I've ever seen at mixing FPS and and 3d space combat including retail games a video would probably have been more helpful though for people who haven't heard of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_-k4i_fsI

I doubt the free space engine can do FPS sections this theoretical FPS would probably need to be done on source or crytech.
(yeah my literacy is **** please just ignore my posts if it bothers you)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Programming isn't proper grammar though is it?
It isn't proper english grammar, no. But religiously observing grammar rules is something that is absolutely necessary in programming.

If it upsets you that much ill be more careful but most forums I've been on no one cares so long as your post isn't along the lines of:

Here on HLP, proper grammar is something found unusually often.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline eps200

Programming isn't proper grammar though is it?
It isn't proper english grammar, no. But religiously observing grammar rules is something that is absolutely necessary in programming.

Here on HLP, proper grammar is something found unusually often.

If this forum as a whole has high standards fair enough ill stop derailing the topic.

anyone kow of any other fps/ space sim hybrids

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
X-Wing and Tie Fighter jump immediately to mind.  As well as Wing Commander (though I've only played the SNES version of that, and a long time ago, to boot).

As a little nitpick, the Space Sim genre is generally considered as being first person by default (otherwise it's just a spaceship platformer, for lack of a better word), so your request is a little redundant.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
He means games where you're on foot and then you get in a ship, like Eternal Silence.

Honestly, Eternal Silence seems to be heavily inspired by Star Wars Battlefront 2, though it could be a case of parallel evolution. Eternal Silence's big problem is that both the FPS and space combat are kind of mediocre.

Other than that I don't know of any space sim/FPS hybrids off the top of my head.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The only other one I can think of is Rebel Assault/Rebel Assault 2...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Rouge Squadron 3:  Rebel Assault (subtitle?) had a few third person parts to it, not in fighters.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No, the original, old, old Rebel Assault Games, 90s computer stuff. I never played them. They were roughly contemporary with X-Wing.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I knew which ones you were talking about.  I happen to have the second one for the PS1 (which I don't have).  However, Rogue Squadron 3 I am certain had 3rd person sequences while outside of vehicles.

Offline eps200

He means games where you're on foot and then you get in a ship, like Eternal Silence.

Honestly, Eternal Silence seems to be heavily inspired by Star Wars Battlefront 2, though it could be a case of parallel evolution. Eternal Silence's big problem is that both the FPS and space combat are kind of mediocre.

Other than that I don't know of any space sim/FPS hybrids off the top of my head.

It is a parallel evolution if you look at the way the ships handle its based on the space sim genre the devs are all big freespace fans you get the problem of each section being medioce with any hybrid eg empires 2.24 is a RTS FPS hybrid think red alert meets counter strike the advantage of hybrids is just that they are hybrids I would place eternal silence above SW battlefront in terms of how fun it is I'm yet to find a better one that dose both FPS and space sim.

Rebel strike is arcade style in both space and ground though its awesome in its own right but its a different genre.

freespace universe would fit well into that concept especially considering nothing has been shown of ground troops so it could be made to fit game mechanics.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It is a parallel evolution if you look at the way the ships handle its based on the space sim genre the devs are all big freespace fans you get the problem of each section being medioce with any hybrid eg empires 2.24 is a RTS FPS hybrid think red alert meets counter strike the advantage of hybrids is just that they are hybrids I would place eternal silence above SW battlefront in terms of how fun it is I'm yet to find a better one that dose both FPS and space sim.

Long sentence is long and hard to read.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Remember children, adding a few periods to your writing doesn't make the writing itself less manly...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Anyone going to direct eps to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's works? :p

Offline eps200

screw this place how do I close my account there are grammar nazis and there is plain annoying.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I apologize for causing this. I certainly didn't mean to drive you away.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
screw this place how do I close my account there are grammar nazis and there is plain annoying.

Don't need to close the account, just don't come any more. Still you don't need to get so worked out about some grammar lessons, and also to notice.. regular members should know better, that's no way to treat a newcomer.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
"No way to treat a newcomer?"

I would have thought that it would be in everyone's best interest if each and every member posted with as much clarity as possible. I concede that new members may not know the norms of a board, but I strongly believe that everyone that posts on a forum should be capable of presenting themselves in a coherent manner. Unless you have some sort of learning disorder, dyslexia, or ADHD, you should be capable of slowing down, re-reading what you wrote, and make sure that it's sensible before posting instead of complaining about these so called "grammar nazis".

Who am I kidding. I only wish such was the case... I know better than to expect sanity, clarity, and logical soundess on the internet  :sigh:

However, becoming enraged just because someone pointed out your grammar mistakes is a tad oversensitive.
---

Battlecruiser 3k?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail

Battlecruiser 3k?

OUT, do not speak of such abominations here.

But on a more serious note surely to make an FPS we would need to write a new engine. I can't think of any modern FPS engines which are freeware, the Crytek and Source I'm pretty sure are not.
That said an FPS game could be cool, if plenty of effort was put into it. (by that I mean years of constant work)
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p