Author Topic: (hopefully) the last OpenGL question  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
(hopefully) the last OpenGL question
So I finally decided on what I wanted the particle engine to do and I did, but now I am trying to do one last thing on top of it: displaying some simple text, nothing too fancy. Problem: The text won't show up (no compiler errors or warnings, it just won't show). The text engine I got from another tutorial on the same site as before, this time lesson 13 (and yes, credit was given for the work at the top of the code).

Here's my project, minus the debug folder. So how to make them play nice together? I think I missed something when I ported the code.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:28:39 am by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Kosh

Re: (hopefully) the last OpenGL question
Unfortunately there's no one else I can ask for help, none of the people I know in RL know anything about how to use this, let alone getting it to do stuff. You guys are my only hope......  :nervous:
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Deadline on this?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Kosh

Tomorrow. And no, I didn't wait until the last minute to do this, I wasn't assigned to a group until 2 weeks ago, and even then I had to wait a couple of days for my part of the project. Then I needed a few days to actually decide on what the welcome screen was going to be, and then I had various computer problems (my installation of VC++ crashing constantly being one of them). Needless to say it hasn't been a lucky couple of weeks.

What I have now is sort of enough (it still looks good), but it isn't what I want it to be (and not what it could be) so I'm not satisfied with it. Even if help comes to late here, I would still like to know so if I ever play with OpenGL anytime in the future I can partially base it on this experience.

Brain I/O error

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Hmmm... I remember doing the NeHe stuff, and I've never seen wglUseFontBitmaps before... maybe the lesson was rewritten, but the text drawing code there is completely alien to me... Except For The Way He Capitalizes Every Word In The Comments For No Apparent Reason...

Edit: WTF, lesson 13 seems to have been completely rewritten since I learned it.

Edit II: So yeah, I have no idea how that code works, and I've never done anything with glRasterPos in my life. If it worked like the old one did (which I doubt it does), I would have said to make sure that your projection matrix is screen-space ortho (that is, do glOrtho(0, width, 0, height, -1, 1) (but being sure to have the correct matrix mode)). But since it's not the same, I doubt that would help / be at all relevant. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:12:08 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Kosh

That's ok, like I said at this point I interesting in learning it just because it would be cool (I handed in the project with my team this morning).

Brain I/O error

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Well, my usage of GLUT was always with a pre-written frame work e.g Popcap framework, Pinky framework, so the commands I used to interface with GLUT would probably have been different.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Kosh

Re: (hopefully) th' last OpenGL question
The pirate talk makes programming discussions quite interesting.

Brain I/O error

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So what became of this? Make anything cool yet?

Offline Kosh

Check your PM's. :)

Brain I/O error

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
What? I thought you left.

Anyway, the description in the PM made it sound like a lava lamp.